websites/videos

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Erik H, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Erik H

Erik H New Member

Hey Guys,

I have recently, after a closed mind, have gotten back into studying and training in Escrima/stickfighting. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can go to see some videos and/or learn some terminology. I do have previous experience so I am not wanting to send the "I want to learn by internet" vibe. :) Some help please. Thanks guys,

Erik H

2. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

4. Erik H

Erik H New Member

the system was intertwined with Wing Chun Kung Fu/Jeet Kune Do. I believe it was Balintawak.

Erik H

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Were are you based?? maybe we can point you to something near you.

Best regards

Pat

6. shootodog

wing chun? jkd? maybe it was inosanto-lacoste? most jkd schools will usually carry either inosanto-lacoste/ inosanto blend or dbma.

7. Erik H

Erik H New Member

Unfortunately, my instructor had to close the school due to lack of funding and doesn't teach anymore due to personal reasons. I am based in NC and I believe he mentioned balintawak during our sessions but it could be something else. Isn't there an escrima style of staff fighting?

Erik H

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  8. shootodog

there are quite a few styles that have staff/ spear fighting as part of thier curiculuum. i know pekiti tirsia kali and dbma both have "bangkaw" training.

your instructor (because of his jkd) may have mentioned balintawak as part of their areas of study. why not check out inosanto.com and have a gander at their videos.

9. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

to my knowlege even in the states, DBMA is still quite rare, even in JKD schools, it's more likely to have beeen more Inosanto/LaCoste, Lameco, or Giron eskrima.

DBMA is quite big on Staff. Normally about 4-5ft, but we consider anything you need two hands to control to come into the category.

Again, where are you, there may be a group near you that someone here can recomend, if not & you want to focus on staff, the dog brothers DVD can be a good place to start :D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  10. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

FMA in North Carolina

I believe that Bobby Taboada is based in Charlotte, North Carolina. Is that close to you?

San Miguel Eskrima teaches bankaw (spear) as well as ananangkil (50" staff).

Best,

Steve Lamade

11. Erik H

Erik H New Member

wow....thanks for the replies. I am located near Charlotte (30-45 min away) so I am going to check up on that. You guys might be right about the typ of system. He never really specified and I wasn't too versed in the Filipino arts at the time. It is still good to learn and to train in. Right now I am more interested in learning the staff but am not above learning double -stick. If anyone else has any more info i could sure use it. Thanks again guys. I have seen the dog brothers Very....intereting.

Erik H

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006