Weapons Names

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by acrux, Jan 26, 2007.

1. acrux

acrux vi et animo

Does anyone know a decent website listing weapons names.

Not only English version of the whatever weapon names, but other languages' names for these weapons, or even varying English names.

Example

Three Sectional Staff - Three Sectional Cudgel - Jointed Staff - Sansetsukon - Wushu Staff - San Jie Gun

Katana - Japanese Long Sword - Bokken - Tachi - Nihto - Bokuto

Sorry if I may have mispelt or used wrong phrases.

Just with so many people calling so many different weapons so many varying names, it is hard to research certain items thoroughly, especially if trying to track down videos.

So even if this starts a reference link everyone can use great, if there is already such a link, sorry for my ignorance & please point in right direction.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

I could help with some Japanese terms.

Japanese long sword - Nihonto, tachi, katana [​IMG]

Japanese short sword - kodachi, wakizashi, shoto [​IMG]

Wooden version of Japanese long or short sword - Bokuto or Bokken [​IMG]

Six foot staff - Rokushakubo or just bo [​IMG]

Short staff - jo (the lengths of the jo depend on the ryuha, with some, it's 4'1" with others, it's 5'0") [​IMG]

Three sectional staff - Sansetsukon or Rensa Sankakubo
    [​IMG]

Spear - Yari

Sleeve catching law enforcement polearm - Sode Garami

Neck catching law enforcement polearm - Sasumata

Bearclaw law enforcement polearm - Kumade

[​IMG]

Glaive or halberd - Naginata [​IMG] [​IMG]

Short handled glaive - Nagamaki
    [​IMG]

Iron fan - tessen [​IMG]

Tined Japanese truncheon - Jutte [​IMG]

Sickle & weighted chain - Kusarigama (Note that there are many different styles and forms of this weapon)
    [​IMG]

Reinforced short staff with weighted chain - Chigiriki
    [​IMG]

Throwing dart - Shuriken
    [​IMG]

Throwing star - Shaken
    [​IMG]

There are more of course, but these are the most common in Japanese bujutsu.

3. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Here's info on some CMA weapons.

4. maf

maf Valued Member

5. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

6. acrux

acrux vi et animo

To all contributors thank you very much this is fantastic.

If anyone else can help so, please do & keep up the good work.

To those that help a lot - thanks a lot.
    To those that help a little - thanks a little.
    To those that do nothing - thanks for nothing

Just joking

Arigotto

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Kogusoku,
    Very nice post. :)

8. splice

splice New Member

Isn't Nihonto more of a term indicating the way the sword was forged (traditional japanese) rather than a sword type? After all, I think katana, tanto, wakizashi can all be nihonto, no?

9. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Valued Member

Generally speaking, nihonto is taken to refer to the katana i.e. Japanese sword (which is what the word nihonto literally means).

Technically, as you say, you could call a wakizashi nihonto because it is a Japanese sword but the useage of the term really applies to the longsword rather than the short.

Of course, the caveat "As far as I know" has to be made evident here :D.

10. Kogusoku

Yep, that's essentially correct. :)

11. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Yup!
    I'm thinking that you meant to put Daito instead of Nihonto in your list. :)

12. Kogusoku

You can have that up there with nihonto. I have heard the term used in everyday Japanese several times, that's why I put it up there. *Shrugs*

13. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Was the jo the weapon Gonnosuke used to WHUP Musashi's ass :Angel: :Angel:

Koyo

14. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Is that the sound of a Shinken being drawn I can hear....... *looks around for Scott*

:D

15. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

*settles down with a daft grin on his face to enjoy the show* :p

16. koyo

MWDAndy

Shame on you frankly I feel that your post is an attempt to bring dissension into what is a serious historical discussion. So I shall refrase my question.
    Dear kogusoku WHICH weapon did gonnosuke use to WHUP Muashi's ass!!

regards koyo :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  17. Lord Spooky

Anyone else think this threa should be made a sticky?

Musashi won the first bout but don't some doubt as to whether the second fight even took place?

18. koyo

OK Spooky I shall get off Musashi's case and get on to the gorin no sho his book of five rings. Most of the publications in english have the problem of translation from Japanese to English. However some Japanese kendo masters also noted that many of the translations were by kendoka NOT kenjutsu exponents so they decided to have a japanese proffesor who could "study" it from a different perspective offer his translation. One major difference was found and that was that kendoka want to see a cut powered by the body, spirit and mind, as you will know a cut lacking in this principle shall not be seen as a proper cut in kendo. He found that Musashi would often "throw" his sword (not litteraly) ahead of his body, slash the opponent (injuring) then cut decisively.It is quite a different take on the book of five rings than is normally found.I have a copy of his findings which was given to me by Gerry Kincaid 5th dan kendo. However it is among my drawings files and notes which are a shambles. I shall attempt to find them. I am sure you would find them interesting. (they are ALL pro-musashi :) :) )

regards koyo

19. Lord Spooky

That sounds great!

I am very very new to HNIR and I've found all information interesting pro Musashi or not. It'd be interesting to hear others views on the above too.

I'm currently reading the Cleary translation of the gorin no sho, which is actually starting to make some sense at last :D :D

Maybe Anth will be nice and split this off into another thread?

20. koyo

My cross training with kendoka has given me a great deal in my aikido training. One of the things from the gorin no sho (notes) was the suggestion that kamae should not be seen as chudan,jodan.seigan etc. But as kamae (attitude) or kokoro kamae which is by it's nature more fluid than katachi kame (body posture)So all of the katachi kamae then become more fluid when the exponent does not consider them concentrating more on dominating and controlling the spirit of the opponent.
    I hope this makes sense.

regards koyo