Warrior Spirit

Discussion in 'Other Martial Arts Articles' started by Suicyco, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Suicyco

Suicyco New Member

I found the article on Warrior Spirit and the colour code of awareness an eye opener.

It's good that the Police officers responsible for manning the city's streets at night are being prepared to deal with hazardous situations.

When I was younger, at primary school, I attended Karate classes for about 4 years. I ended up as a 3rd Kyu brown belt. Throughout the 4 years, not 1 of the 3 instructors mentioned warrior spirit to the class.

Neither was it mentioned in my 3 years of Kick Boxing training.

If truth be told, this is the first cogent explanation of warrior spirit I have ever come across. Very good reading.

Thanx Jack!

T-Bone

2. Bobzilla

Bobzilla New Member

Good point..I've studied karate and a little kickboxing over the years..maybe about 3-4 years in total and the only time I've ever heard it mentioned once..and that was my 2nd night of Shotokan...

no offence to the folk that study it but I really didnt think it fitted the style very well but hey :)

:Angel:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2001
  3. waya

waya Valued Member

It's not mentioned nearly often enough in schools anymore. I have heard it from maybe 6 instructors in the last 5 years, but recently it seems to be getting more openly discussed. I am hoping there will be a turnaround and people will be taught the entire art (mentality and spirit as well as technique) instead of just how to hit things.

Rob

4. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

We are graded on our spirit through our gradings. I realise I am still very new at this, but I have noticed that when the proper emphasis (spirit) is put on a technique it seems to make all the difference (?).

When you kiai (shout) is that not a sign of spirit?

Melanie

5. waya

waya Valued Member

Melanie,
    I think what you are talking about fits more under intensity.... The Warrior Spirit is more a sense of being and a way of life or mentality, and the way you view your environment and your perception of it than it is the attitude behind a specific technique. It's really something that very few instructors I have met can teach it, usually because they were never taught it.

Rob

6. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Thank you Rob

I have found further references to spirit and wondered if these are more descriptive than Kiai. I feel a bit stupid now - trying to back track a little! :D

Is this the same meaning as tokon ("fighting spirit")?

Also similar to: shin-gi-tai ("spirit-technique-body") (Good technique wins over pure strength, but the spirit dominates everything)

"The ultimate aim in karate-do lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of character." Funakoshi Gichin

Or am I still way off the mark...:(

Melanie (in hope)

7. waya

waya Valued Member

Melanie I think you are definitely on track now. Funakoshi Sensei was very well schooled in the arts being more than just a physical ability. His book if I remember correctly covers the subject well.... Sun Tzu goes into the subject alot in "The Art of War" also. The articles on here were a really good reference point for what the Warrior Spirit realy is also.

Rob

8. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Firstly never feel stupid Melanie the only way to learn is to ask questions and make points if they are not quite on the mark then so be it that does not make you stupid it just shows your willingness to learn.

It is a very hard thing to understand the warrior spirit unless you have experienced it. Basically what the article is saying is that most people go about there daily lives switched off to the outside world, ‘Condition white’.

What does that mean? Try this for a test the next time you are walking down the street observe the people around you study them. Do they notice you watching them? Would you notice if you were being watched?

I trained as a bodyguard a few years back and one of the first things you are taught is surveillance and anti-surveillance. You would be very surprised how easy it is to follow someone without them knowing unless they are switched on.

The only time in most people’s lives when they switch on is when there life is in danger and all of a sudden your senses become highly tuned and you are very aware of your surroundings, ‘Condition Red’ if you have had training but for most it will be ‘Condition Black’.

Once you become aware of your surroundings it is easier to notice other people who are also switched on, Police officers for instance or on the other hand criminals like pick pockets they are constantly aware of there surroundings looking for there next victim.

Anyway I’ve rambled long enough and you are probably just as confused as you where before I started. It really is not an easy thing to explain but you have to experience it.

Cooler.

9. waya

waya Valued Member

Cooler,
    Very well put.... Something I was told when I first began training is "the only stupid question, is the question never asked..." I think that is the most true statement I have ever heard. And to this day it holds true.

I have to agree with you, this is a hard subject to put into words, it's definitely more of something you feel..

Rob

10. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Forest E. Morgon wrote a great deal about how the modern day warrior should live and perceive things, alongside awareness and awareness training. Pick up a copy of "Living the Martial way" if you can, its an amazing read.