Warning newbie question: Whats the difference between Arnis, kali and silat?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by 7thlevel, Sep 11, 2004.

1. 7thlevel

7thlevel Valued Member

Hi everyone I know this may seem a crap question to most of you but I couldnt find any info on the web explaining the differences in these systems, if anyone could explain what the main differences are and which is best for a self defence purpose rather than competitions.

7thlevel

www.classickungfu.com

2. deCadena

deCadena New Member

Good day 7thlevel:

Regarding your question. The term Kali,Arnis,Eskrima are all ascribing to one. They are all Filipino in origin and as such comprises hand and weapon usage. Particularly; sticks, knifes, swords, etc.

Silat on the other hand is a form of MA that has origins in the southern archipelagos mainly indonesia and malaysia. I'm not so familiar with their training methodology. I sure though that both are lethal and efficient in real life combat situations

Cheers!

3. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

in a nut shell

arnis=escrima=kali and sometimes =silat. so many systems and styles. there are probably as many systems and styles as there are islands in the philippines.

5. 7thlevel

7thlevel Valued Member

Cheers for the info everyone, one last question, which organisations are reguarded highly in the UK for fma, I know Rapid Arnis is considered good and seems to have good instructors but are there any others?

6. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Krishna Godhania is held in high regard. You could also check out the member profile for Peter, I have yet to meet him but he trained under one of the senior most Kalis Ilustrisimo masters, Yuli Romo.

7. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hi 7thlevel, thanks for the compliment, If I were you I would shop around as th UK is lucky to have a number of styles within it's shores.

Apart from my group Rapid Arnis, there are other top eskrimadors in this country. you could also try as mentioned before Krishna's Warriors Eskrima Group, there is also the Doce Pares Group headed up by GM Danny Guba who is noew permenantly based in London, Shamin Haque's, Illistrismo group. Latosa Eskrima, JKD Kali, John Harvey's Kapatiran Arnis Group, the Black Eagle Eskrima group based in London to name but a few.

A number of factors will need to be taken into consideration, suc as your location (are you willing or can you afford to travel) and what exactley you want to get out of your training. You will also have to like the instructor (most important) and will need to find out if he/she is infact a bonifide instructor in the first place.

If you need any help in finding a good school and instructor drop me a line via PM I will be only too pleased to help if I can.

Best regards

Pat O'Malley

I am affraid it is not easy picking a school