Warhammer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by munkiejunkie, Jan 1, 2005.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

What you want to try is HackMaster.

And have you heard about Dark Heresy, I think its the 40k version of WFRP but I could be wrong.

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I played Heroquest and Space Crusade when they came out, also a bit of Space Hulk which was pretty fun.

I progressed to the WH40k box set, my brother got the Space marines and I got the Orks. After seeing the sleek Eldar jetbikes one of my friends had I bought them off him and started collecting Eldar instead.

After that I got pretty heavily into Necromunda, which was a hell of a lot of fun, short quick games and character development in a gritty underworld. I never went back to 40k and consequently quit playing about 10 years ago. I still have my models boxed up at home somewhere with my expansive 'box of bits'.

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Oh, of course, while we're on Games Workshop do we have any other Bloodbowl players?

4. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Sometime I am going to write a set of my own rules if anyone is interested in chipping in, I have a decent concept for them - just needs to be stuck on paper/Internet. It would be a more detailed skirmish based type thing with say 40 models on the table max.

5. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

The only house rules you need are to make Grey Knights cheaper and Raven Wing to be given the bloody skilled rider rule:D

6. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Ah, good old Blood Bowl! Played the first two editions and then dropped it. But I recently had the chance to play a game of the current edition and it was as edge-of-the-seat as ever.

Dark Heresy. We're just itching to play this when it comes out in the new year. :D

http://www.blackindustries.com/?template=40K&content=40K-sh-booklet

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I gave up 40k when I discovered crack was cheaper.

The Bear.

8. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Yeh i've played a bit of blood bowl in my time.

I used to love most GW games when i was in my teens. Like most people when the prices kept going up i quit. I still play a bit of Hero Quest and Warhammer Quest (well as in once every other year or something) they are nice and cheap because you just buy the game and thats it. I love the world they created and still get nostalgic when i think about it, it's a shame they are such greedy corperate...monkeys. At least I can play the video game versions though, I love Hero Quest and Space Crusade on the amiga and Dawn of War was really good. Can't wait for the one coming out on DS. It's a shame there isn't a video game of WFB or 40k using the same rules as the tabletop equivilents.

Anyone else find GW seems some what of a taboo to talk about when you get older?

9. JHughes

JHughes New Member

used to play space marines, it's just too expensive.

10. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I'm running some friends through Ashes of Middenheim. I lurves me my WHFRP 2E. :)

FWIW, I'm a big fan of Hârn, Tekumel, TROS, Burning Wheel and a host of other rpgs. I've got a host of Tekumel miniatures that need to be painted. If only I could y'know, paint. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

11. Terao

Terao Valued Member

oooo I may break out my Dark Angels now I've read this haven't played in ages too epxensive to on top of my other hobbies great game and great books too :D

12. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I used to have both of those on my 500+!

I really wish they'd make a decent VG of Necromunda though, I reckon it would transfer pretty nicely.

13. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I can't wait until WAR :D
    It's going to rock, something fierce.

I never begrudged the cost of Warhammer, because of the fun I gained from it and suchlike. What I now dislike is the constant rising prices etc, GW trying to eek up their market share and the like. Firing the people who knew what they were doing, not replacing the best designers when they left with equally good ones... and of course making Owen Rees WD Editor. All these things I think are just the definition of corporate stupidity and the way to kill your company.

14. Lord Spooky

Fantastic!

Let the hunt for the fallen begin! :D

15. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Seanyseanybean said:-
    Surely that would be pointless? You can play the actual games for that. I take it anyway that you've played Dawn of War and the two expansions? It's as damn close to the game as you can practically get and you can play the majority of races very accurately - Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Tau, Orks, Necrons, Chaos, Eldar. Apparently there is another game in the series in the pipeline and I did find a mod which allowed you to play a Witch Hunters/Sisters of Battle force as well.

btw, I was looking through Codex Apocalypse when I got home last night. It's frikking brilliant Mr Bigglesworth! And the idea of my Baneblade's primary weapon having a ten inch blast template nearly gave me a heart attack. At strength 9 and AP 2 as well, ain't nothing getting out alive. :woo:

16. Lord Spooky

We wont talk about what they did to the Grey Knights in that game though ok?
    :woo: :woo:

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Man don't I feel like Johnny Spod. Prepare to be out spodded.
    *Bragging alart...woop, woop...bragging alert*
    Not only did I use to be into GW stuff in a MAJOR way when a teen (back before Rogue trader when Games Workshop had a shop in Hammersmith and sold all sorts of games like Chess and that) I also worked there for a few years. :D
    And I don't mean in a shop either.
    I actually worked at the design studio as an illustrator. :)
    If you own pretty much anything produced in 94-98 it'll have one of my pictures in it.
    It's being updated all the time but my piccies still pop up in White Dwarf from time to time.
    They were great years to be honest. Totally immersed in the stuff I was, hanging out with the designers and guys from old and signing autographs ar Games day. Very bizarre.
    Still got my Wood elf army that appeared in White Dwarf (I forget the number) in a display cabinet and I'm currently doing a Marine army.
    Never been much of a gamer as I was also more into sculpting, painting and converting.
    Herendeth my confession. :rolleyes:

18. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Hah! I probably have your autograph from one of the mid nineties games days!

19. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

See point about cost. Also VG are less embaressing and doesn't require other people.

20. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Okay, who's old enough to remember this?

"Hi! You're Rick Priestley and I claim my prize!"

The early Games Days were much more intimate and friendly than the huge corporate events they've now become.