Wanderlei vs Sonnen is going to be the BEST TUF / Fight ever

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ShadowHawk, Apr 1, 2014.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4bXAheO17k"]TUF Brazil 3: Apologize Now! - YouTube[/ame]

2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Think so? What a character Sonnen is.

Its a good thing that Wandy has some antagonism towards Sonnen - he doesn't do that well against blokes he likes on a personal level (remember his losses against Rich Franklin?)

I thought Silva/Stann was a terrific fight but I don't see that sort of trading action happening here. Chael is a wise-guy; I don't see him standing toe to toe with Silva and duking it out.

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Eh, I doubt it will be great. I have bought into the hype before and usually been disappointed. I am not so quick to buy into it now.

The enjoyment of TUF for me is watching fighters develop, seeing training methods, finding new fighters to like or not like. And the fights.

The coach rivalries take away from that. I dearly wish Cat Zingano had coached vs Roussey. I think that season would have been better without the Tate/ Roussey nonsense.

Let's not forget the Rampage vs Evans season. How many doors got broken that season? And that fight, after being delayed, was quite a letdown.

Let's see, best rivalry fights that lived up to the hype on TUF in my opinion. Sorry, I know you British folks hate this, but the H-bomb knockout of Bisping was one of the best moments of me watching MMA ever!!!!!! I also watched my favorite fighter put it all in the ring and destroy Kos's eye and fighting will. Kos hasn't been the same fighter since GSP demolished his eye. (And that fight should have been a stoppage.) Even so, those seasons would have been better if Kos and Bisping had shut up throughout the season and focused more on what they were there for.

Tito vs Chuck? Never happened due to Tito bowing out due to either injury or ducking - depending on who you listen to.

I am not convinced the fight will actually happen. If it does, well frankly, Wanderlei is past his prime and Sonnen isn't the best fighter frankly.

I am hoping this season will be subtitled. I loved TUF Brazil 1. I couldn't find a TUF BRazil 2 with subtitles and was sorely disapponted. I am hoping that Sonnen being on it means subtitles again.

Sonnen was a great coach before. But with all his Brazil bashing, what Brazilian will want to be on his team?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I thought due to the TRT ban, Sonnen says he might have to quit the sport?

Wandy is one of my heroes and Chael's true personality of being a nice guy is slowly coming out. So its difficult for me to say. But I would agree that Chael would not stand in front and bang like what Wand/Stann fight.

The Evans/Rampage fight was rubbish because Rampage was pretty much contractually obliged to come back and fight after The A Team film, and despite their mutual disrespect to each other, you can tell that the wind in both their sails were pretty much gone in regards to the hype.
    It was still a good fight tho, Rampage nearly got KO'd when he was launched to the otherside of the ring, and Evans' feet got lifted off the ground with a glancing uppercut. But yeah...could've been better

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No, we hate him too.

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Nope, that was pretty fun the watch. I giggled so much when Hendo fell and punched Bisping the way he did/"followed up just to make sure he was KO'd" :D

Credit to him though, Bisping's a pretty good fighter, but sometimes he rubs me up the wrong way.

I also remember a time when Sonnen challenged Anderson Silva and said that if he lost, he would retire from the sport forever a few years back. I wouldn't put much stock in anything Sonnen says, except for the fact he can sell fights really, really well.

That aside though I'm not that hyped up for this match, but I'll still watch it anyway.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Whether this will be a good fight or not depends on whether you like Sonnen's style and find it exciting or not because I see that being the story of the fight for most of it. Personally I like it a lot so I'll enjoy it but anyone expecting a great barn burner because they don't like each other will be disappointed. Wand's known for being reckless which opens him up for takedowns and Sonnen's shown he takes a very businesslike approach to mma and how he views the sport so Wand being on him isn't going to change his mindset much.

I have to add though that while I appreciate Silva being upset and Sonnen's smack talking is clearly trolling for the most part, the stuff he said about Wand "claiming" Brazil when in reality he abandoned it I think is one of the most true thing I've heard him say. Maybe that's why Silva's so upset over it all.

8. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

will the fight take place in Brazil? If so TRT will be allowed there, correct?

If this is so, I have no doubt Chael AND Wandy will both be TRT'd (if Wandy ever partakes in that business)

I thought it was hilarious when Wanderlei called Vitor Belfor a "Diva" lol

9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

The two guys will punch each other silly for 3 rounds then fall into an embrace afterwards. Seen a dozen times before in the UFC before. That said, the RUF teaser cuts out right as Sonnen ducks under Silva's punch and presumably shoots for a leg takedown. Me likey. :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  10. belltoller

To my knowledge, the Brazilian governing body that handles such things has signed on to and agreed with the Nevada Athletic Commission's ruling on TRT use.

Now, whether such things are enforced and exactly how much actual power this Brazilian commission has are different animals altogether.

Accordingly, Chael Sonnen is not supposed to receive a TRT clearance ( it would be funny if Belfort did, however - could you imagine, LOL )

Ya, I caught that as well. Referred to Belfort as "her" lol.

11. belltoller

That sounds about right

12. Heikki Mustola

Heikki Mustola Valued Member

I am (kinda) a Wanderlei Silva fan, but just cant get excited about this fight. But then again, to be honest, I wasn't too excited about his fight against Stann either. Ended up being a dramatic slugfest.

I predict Sonnen taking comfortable UD win via takedowns, maybe getting tagged / hurt once in the fight if he keeps standing for too long, but I dont know.

I hope Wanderlei would try to use some of those knees of his. He hasn't used them in a long time like he used to use them before. But when he did use them again, he ended up hurting Cung Le and finishing him (if I remember correctly...)

13. Southpaw535

I would be interested in a stand up fight I have to say. Sonnen's got some, I feel, underrated boxing, he rocked Silva in their first fight and I can't remember Sonnen ever being stunned or dropped

14. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Your right, Wandys weapons were his killer knees, remember Bas Rutten retired earlier due to ruining his knees. Poor guy.

15. Heikki Mustola

Rashad Evans finished him by TKO, so did Jones and Anderson (in the second fight)

In the first fight, Anderson dropped him with an elbow at the very beginning of the fourth round

Terry Martin won by TKO (corner stoppage), haven't seen the fight, but I believe he was hurt there

Wanderlei definitely has power to hurt anyone. He has those wild looping hooks though, I see Sonnen ducking under and going for the takedown repeatedly

16. Southpaw535

I completely forgot about the Jones fight even existing. Good point on the elbow too. I'd sort of contend the Evans fight though. Evans had him flattened and was pounding on him so Sonnen tapped. That's not the same as actually being rocked. Same with the second Silva fight. He took a massive knee to the chest and couldn't recover. That's not checking someone's chin. You've pointed out the other two though so I was clearly wrong anyway :p

17. belltoller

Another area Sonnen is underrated is his cardio. The man is fit. I recall Hendo's BJJ coach had wanted Henderson to train with Sonnen for the then-to be-upcoming rematch with Belfort.

18. belltoller

Love Wandy's knees?

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJXWaOxszg"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJXWaOxszg[/ame]

19. Heikki Mustola

Brutality.

20. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Yep. That TUF teaser looks like a dressed rehearsal of what's going to happen in the fight.