Vitor Belfort set to make his return to the UFC

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Saz, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Top middleweight contender Vitor Belfort is set to return to the UFC in November. However he won't be fighting the current 185-pound champion Anderson Silva, after he was ruled out of action until 2011 with a rib injury he incurred before his recent title defence fight with Chael Sonnen.

Belfort tweeted "This year I am not going to fight for the title because the champion is hurt, but November we will be in action for sure that is what I can say"

Belfort was set to face Anderson Silva at UFC 112, but was forced to pull out of the fight with a shoulder injury, requiring surgery. Belfort knocked out Rich Franklin in his UFC return in September for his fifth-straight win, but Silva's injury will allow him to shake off potential ring rust and fight at 185-pounds before challenging for the belt.

Source: MMAUniverse.com News

How do you rate Belfort's chances at the middleweight title with Silva still at the top of the pile? Given his recent performance against Sonnen, has the UFC's longest reigning champ finally lost his edge, or will he come back stronger against his next opponent to prove a point?

2. Commander Nitro

Commander Nitro Valued Member

Belfort is still a devastating striker, is more technically sound and has a striking edge over Silva. He is naturally gifted, well-rounded and has much more to offer now than before.

It remains to be seen though if he will be able to live up to his potential. But I think he will.

3. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Man, Nitro, you sound like Chael Sonnen. No offence but that dude has been spouting that nonsense so long I hate to see ppl buy into it. Yes Chael managed to back up some of his words but fact check his quotes and you'll find a lot of bends in the truth and breaks from reality.

That aside.

Belfort should face Chael. If only because he is the one contending middleweight who hasn't been cleared out by Silva. However obviously with Chael's spectacular performance that begs a rematch and Silva's injury I think it is a perfect recipe to have Chael Sonnen vs. Vitor Belfort.

If Vitor wins he really does deserve the championship match. If Chael wins it'll make the rematch all the more enticing.

I personally am of the opinion Silva held back out of well, who knows, I've given up trying to figure out the man. But he just didn't move the same. And considering how little damage he's taken in his career I for one am not willing to say he's lost a step due to age. I believe he is still in his prime.

My personal conspiracy theory. He let Chael hit him and take him down. Perhaps to show his relentless perseverance which was hidden by his overwhelming dominance. Now that's out of the way I hope he will go back to devastating his opponents.