Visiting China - Help!!

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by incubus, Apr 2, 2007.

1. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Finally, my wish to finally visit China is coming to reality. I would like the help of other MartialArtists who have done the same. Would like to know of sites,places,cities or any Kung Fu clubs which I should visit?!

I will be staying in Beijing, Shangai, Xian mostly

Thanks

Mark
    :eek:

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Never been myself, but have a blast when you do arrive :)

3. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Thanks I sure will.
    THought i would get more help about this subject... :(

Lucky i m going in July,have time to gather information
    :woo:

4. ndabaningi

ndabaningi Valued Member

I'll be interested to see what you think of the food. I did Kong Kong last year and hated it, not like it is over here. The place however was superb; excellent in fact
    Still trying to get my mind around seeing Monks in temples with mobile phones and laptops but hey ho.

Enjoy it

5. Mengcunman

Mengcunman Valued Member

in Beijing i only know Di Guoyong...(Xing Yi/Bagua) for the rest Cangzhou, Mengcun and some in Tianjin.

If you would look on emptyflower and ask the same question i know you can get a lot of intel ono Xian from Omar.

what are you looking for ?

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL! :D

I should hope it's not like it is where you're at. Because I'm guessing where you're at is isn't China. :rolleyes:

Hong Kong probably has more types of food than anywhere in the world. And yes sadly we probably have more McDonalds per capita than do most western cities.

Chinese food often needs a guide of sorts... it's too easy to order the wrong dishes, or the wrong mixture of dishes. But variety is one thing we're not lacking you literally have an entire world of cuisine here. Sorry to hear you trip to HK was bad.

7. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Yeah the chicken burgers in McDonalds HK just of wrongness, but best of all, the last time I was there they served free tea and stuff to OAPs and also sold random things like rice! Hmm, maybe that was Pizza Hut, I can't remember...

What he wanted to do was to get himself to Sha Tin to the giant Maxim's restaurant which is so big staff have to talk to each other via walkie talkie. Awesome!

8. slipthejab

If I never felt spiritual kinship with the Chimp. I do now. :D

9. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I feel the love bro *thumps left side of chest*.

Anyway to the OP, I'm sure if you do a search on the interweb you'll find some mention of MA schools where you are visiting. I've never been to China proper but I stood at the HK/China border pre-1997 and had a peak - it looked very much like HK. :D

10. hungkuen

hungkuen Valued Member

Hey slipthejab,

You live in HK? I'm jealous! My wife and I used to live in HK during the 1997 handover time and we had a blast. Agree on your point about the diversity of food in HK. I still had my kung fu curiosity back then but whenever I asked any of the locals about learning kung fu they said most of the Triad people took kung fu. It wasn't for the regular folk so I didn't pursue it. I wish I did when I was there.

Incubus--

This may not answer your China question, but have you thought about going a bit more south like HK for martial arts instruction. For a small outpost, they got most of all the martial arts training you can find: Wing Chun, CHoy Lay Fut, Hung Gar, Kendo, etc. and most of them with excellent instructors and good lineages. I know if I had a chance to go back to HK, I would look up Lam Chun Fai's Hung Kuen school in North Point straight away or the Lau Family has a Hung Kuen camp out in New Territories that looks intense.

11. slipthejab

Yeah... I've found that most locals actually know SFA about Kung Fu or anything martial to be honest. It's pretty much the few and far between afficianados that do. Everyone else if far more interested in Hello Kitty or going rather than training in KF. :p

Amongst my mates that practice KF this place has a good reputation. The website can be Googled. It's got several video clips that show the training areas and regimens. It's as close to a fricken Kung Fu movie as you can get. :eek:

There is also a decent school here for CLF, Northern Shaolin and Sun Style Tai Chi.

12. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

You could look for Li Bao Ru in Bejing if you're interested in shuai chiao. Do you speak Chinese at all? If not you may want to pm this guy and ask him about the details.http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ashwix

13. slipthejab

You took the words right out of my mouth.
    I really should get up north and check this out.

We do also have a smaller school of Shuai Jiao here in Hong Kong.

Here is a very inspiring clip of Beijing style Shuai Jiao! Enjoy:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IjmnMaCk2Y"]Shuai Jiao - YouTube[/ame]

I've got the entire video this is taken from and it's incredibly impressive.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  14. hanakuso

hanakuso Banned Banned

Training and all that is gonna depend in large part of how long you'll be there. I will say that in Xi'an you really must hit the muslim quarter for some of the best food!

And don't miss the night markets! Street-vendor food and cheap beer is where its at!