villaris taking over ussd?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by kickingfist, May 19, 2006.

1. kickingfist

kickingfist New Member

I heard mattera's ussd is going bankrupt and villaris might be buying them out. Has anyone heard of this?

2. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Well wouldn't that just be irony at its finest.

3. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

i agree!! i doubt GM Villari would buy them out. Why would he when he's already got a successful business of his own?

4. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

if he bought them out then he could possibly double his number of schools.

5. FightingMonk2k3

that's true, but i don't think that the students would like how GM FV runs his schools vs how GM CM does. i didn't mind how GM FV ran the schools when i was w/ that martial art system. but, there maybe a positive side to everything though. it's hard to say, over all.

6. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

what's the difference in the management styles? who has better shcools?

7. octopic

octopic New Member

Just how exactly does a de-centralized organization with low liabilities go bankrupt? Now, I suppose that Mattera et. al. could be looking to cash out, but I doubt they're going bankrupt. Even if they are, I would doubt that Villari's has the cash on hand to make such an aquisition, nor would they be likely to want to finance the whole thing. Add that to the fact that there basically is no Villari's org (mostly independent schools that happen to have the same name and many of them haven't paid franchise fees in years), and the whole thing seems somewhat far fetched. Where did you hear this?

8. bill007

bill007 New Member

From a bussiness perspective it's not a good idea to buy a chain of dojo, there's no great monetary value in a dojo if your not the building owner, all the value in a dojo is in the people who runs them and if they don't agree with your idea your toast...

Bill

9. FightingMonk2k3

i've heard that USSD does not allow it's students who own their own dojo, own it 100%. i'm not sure how much of that is true. other than that, i'm not exactly sure.

honestly, i don't think either one has the better school. both have their own respective ways of training students from white to black

10. Red J

Red J New Member

Agreed. I haven't heard these rumors either. I could see some schools switching affiliations to gain more independence, but that would be about it.

11. fightingninja2

fightingninja2 New Member

I didn't like how charles mattera ran his schools :bang:
    I couldn't own my dojo or charge a reasonable amount.
    Mattera never called me or stop in my ussd :yeleyes: I think imho charles mattera is out of touch with how schools are run and how much to charge.
    IMHO mattera is just a greedy old man!

12. fightingninja2

This very interesting! :woo: I heard villaris are planning a big expansion but I didnt hear anything of villaris taking over ussd.

13. kickingfist

kickingfist New Member

It's official my source called me last night and said villari will replace the current district managers with his own.Mattera will retire after the china trip this summer and grandmaster fred villari will take over and change the name back to fred villari.

Mattera's bullshido is going under also.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2006
  14. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

So Villari is basically buying out Mattera here on the Westcoast :confused:

15. FightingMonk2k3

i wonder how GM Demascos (?? name spelling ??) feels about Mattera's bankruptcy and the GM Villari buy out

16. fightingninja2

Haha
    karma came back to mattera and company for being unethical company. :)

Good riddance to that poor excuse for a company :bang:

17. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

I'll believe it when I see it.

Although a fun rumor, I'll believe this one when I see it.

Here's my spin.

1.) Both Demasco and Mattera have been pushing the 'shaolin secrets', etc angle heavily lately. They may want to 'retire' as heads of USSD so folks stop asking the 'why does the shaolin temple need a kempo guy' question, so they have an undiluted message of 'shaolinness'. This is perhaps the strongest argument going for the buyout.

However:
    2.) The going rate for an USSD franchise as of the last trade mag article I read with an article on Steve Demasco ("Fixing the Weak Links in the Chain School" or something like that) quoted a 'buy in' at $110000USD for a USSD franchise. Even if Fred Villari was paying a nickel on the dollar (5% what they are worth), he would need (given an estimate of 80 schools) almost half a million. At a more realistic 25k apiece per business, he would need 2.5 million.

3.) Why would Fred Villari spend half a million (pretty much at minimum) to buy schools from an organization formed mostly from folks who left his organization? What would stop them from leaving again (or quitting) when their contracts were up?

4.) I don't think FV has 2.5 Mill hanging around.

5.) How could USSD go bankrupt? It's essentially an upstream cash flow factory. Mattera has to do very little but collect the dough. It's the franchisees that do the work.

Just my wild guess on this rumor.

Matt

18. bill007

bill007 New Member

I don't understand the needs for a martial-arts franchise, you are selling your knowledge, why giving % of your revenue to the head office anyone could explain...

19. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Marketing.

There's a couple ways to get set up in the biz. One, study for a long time, stick your neck out, risk your money, do your own demographic research, bank on your own reputation. The other is buy your own franchise from a national company. They (theoretically) have done the work of demographics, curriculum development, etc, and provide you with some sort of 'certification' to put on your wall. Hypothetically less risk, and you need much less knowledge to get started. Is it any wonder they have a large clientele?

Matt

20. bill007

bill007 New Member

I understand the fact you need a link like every business, in exemple i'm working in one of the larger C.A. firm in the world and we are all independant office in a big link with a big name internationaly known but in martial-arts the business side is different there is so many styles and organization, i've seen schools with big names shut their doors, and others independant but affiliated with... have great success. I think martial-arts could not be run like every business because in fact it's not a business its an art, i've seen so many nice people broke their teeth in this business it's make me sad.