videos

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Shantari, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

hey guys, i just started boxing at a gym. and i was wondering if any one can give mee links to videos, or clips of proper stance and from when punching please thank you. I want to practice on my own, and i might do some of these wrong, so i just want a reference(i don't have access to a trainer more than about 2 times a week)

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

would love to help and i'm sure yuki or ikken will be here shortly with a clip or two but i do just want to give to you a caveat:

what that video shows and what your trainer wants may be two different things. personally i'd stick to my coach's advice because he can see me and a video cannot. though a video could serve as a good reference point, it should be used supplimentarty an complimemtary to you're trainer's style. in fact, why not ask your trainer what he'd recomend.

i hope i didn't come off as a wet blanket. just concerned that you'd pick-up bad habits that would prove hard for your trainer to undo.

3. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Like Shootdog has just said. It's important to be learning around an instructor for the first few weeks/months. Otherwise you will end up developing bad habits, which can be a pain to unlearn.

As for videos; I cannot think of anywhere you can download some. You'll normally find that most videos discussing stances, techniques so forth and so on are normally instructionals which cost a fair bit.

If we are talking of instructionals, then the straight blast gym guys (such as rodney king) do some good boxing instructionals.

4. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

just had my first lesson, DAMN ITS HARD, and my trainers philosophy is this, take it slow and steady. He said all we're gonna do for a while is perfecting our jabs/footwork, because it's one of the most important parts of boxing, i think that if you could only have a match with one punch, i'd take the jab. So we practiced that for a while and i have a good idea on how to do it. He adjusted most of the other ppl's stances when jabbing, he had them sort of "lean" into the punch, but mine was perfect, he just wanted me to raise my right to (whats the word?) to block.But since i know how to jab, now can i get a video as reference? PLEASE??????