Using rear hand while retreating?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Dalia Calypso, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Dalia Calypso

Dalia Calypso Valued Member

My boxing coach told me to use the right hand from orthdox while retreating. As in, jabbing with the left when going forward, using the right cross when retreating.
    I also see some karate practicioners using for instance a right uppercut from orthdox while retreating.

Why the rear hand and not the lead hand? I would have taught it is easier to connect and keep distance with the lead hand?

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I'm not sure when in karate a right uppercut would be used when retreating. A reverse punch is probably much more common a counter punch.

You also won't see many jabs in karate going forward or backwards. The reason is that in karate you have to worry about kicks and people much bigger for starters. A boxing style jab leaves the ribs and under the arm pit open, where kicks can come in at. There is also a kick that comes up under the arm to hyperextend the elbow when you jab, but I've never seen that kick used in competition, just in practice. However, you might see a vertical fist (which keeps the elbow down) or a finger strike which can target the eyes or throat in a situation a boxing jab might be used.

I would be interested to know what you find out. I'm sure there is a good reason. Could be as simple as keeping the left hand up to protect yourself when retreating and using the power right to counter.

The footwork I learned for boxing uses the jab when retreating because I'm circling around the ring (is not a retreat directly backwards). It also switches stances so that if I hit with the right hand, my right foot goes forward (southpaw), if I hit with the left hand, my left foot goes forward (orthodox). If the lead hand hits, then follow up with rear hand/combinations. Edit: Come to think of it, this footwork is circling but at the point the lead hand is striking, I'm actually moving slightly forward. Kind of like a half step back with one foot, with a full step forward with the other foot (changing lead).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011