Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Moosey, Nov 14, 2012.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's the "Conan Conundrum." No actor ever embodies all the attributes that fans come to expect from fictional characters. Arnie was big, but hardly "pantherishly agile." Jason Momoa, people complained, wasn't tall enough. Etc.

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'll give you that one when it comes to voice, but voice only. Bale sounded like he had a rough night when he voiced Batman, lol.

But in a sense it was kind of realistic that he did sound like that, deliberately masking his voice as he did, which was what they were aiming for, a more realistic feel.

Didn't we have a conversation about Conan on here once before?

Jason Momoa just wasn't Conan. I'm not a fan of his in anything really (except Game of Thrones, probably the only role that really suited him, got killed off way too soon, same as Sean Bean, QQ).

I'm not sure Arnold was either, but he was the best choice at the time. Will be interesting to see how he is handled in the new one based on King Conan.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I enjoyed the Jason Momoa Conan. It wasn't Conan. But I enjoyed it.

4. Unreal Combat

I enjoyed the first 20 minutes or so. With the upbringing of young Conan, etc (I think the egg trial was the best part of the film). After that it started to feel more like a TV series than a film.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Mind you, I suspect it was worlds better than the actual Conan TV series. Never did see that.

6. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Wait, who complains Momoa isn't tall enough? He's taller than Arnie by a fair way, and I'm not recalling that Conan was massively tall?

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Dwayne Johnson is next in line to play Conan....

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh, I was just spitballing. More likely the criticism would be "not big enough."

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'd actually be up for seeing him try. He's come a long way.

10. Pretty In Pink

11. Unreal Combat

The problem is no matter what he's in he will always be looked upon as The Rock.

I think for him that's the hardest thing for him to shake, despite him actually being a good actor.

I'd like to see him really try more dark & dramatic roles. I think his best films so far have been Snitch and Faster.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I haven't seen Snitch, but I agree wholeheartedly about Faster. There was also some movie where he plays a football coach. I thought he did a good job in that as well. Obviously he's not Sir Lawrence Olivier. But yeah, he can hold his own.

I don't mind The Rock thing. But I never really paid much attention to pro wrestling, so that association isn't as strong for me.

14. Pretty In Pink

Gridiron Gang :D

15. Unreal Combat

Haven't seen that yet, but will download it later.

Snitch is worth a watch. Pretty good film I think. I think Faster is better though.

16. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

You guys need to watch Southland Tales.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Good man! That's the one. :)

18. the artist

the artist Valued Member

well scott adkions might be not that good of an actor but do not forget that bruce lee was not a very good actor and everyone loved him soo much. he was a superstar.

19. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Scott Adkins is not Bruce Lee. :hat:

20. the artist

the artist Valued Member

no he is not but still is a good MA and better actor so I think he is worth a shot