Unification in Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Indie12, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Has communication among different systems and Instructors become better or is it still the same?

What I've noticed is that while it's become somewhat better. Instructors and Practitioners of different styles still have a difficult time communicating or unifying with other practitioners of different styles.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Communication between different styles is best tested in the glorious arena of sparring.

3. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

What do you want "unification" to do for you?

4. ned

ned Valued Member

There is a unifying force across the arts - the warm communal feeling of togetherness that comes from a shared hatred of WC ! (but like Millwall,we don't care :woo: :D )

5. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I think you need to better define what you consider unification, and for that matter different styles. Are you talking about say, amongst karate groups, between say karate and BJJ, etc?

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My Association holds an event annually - In addition to material about combat specifics (and a rather handsome chap delivering a great talk on articulation of force) we had Masters and Grandmasters from

BJJ
    Boxing
    Small Circle Ju Jutsu
    Wing Chun
    Taiji
    Inayan Escrima
    Cabales Escrima
    Jeet Kune Do (duh!)
    Wrestling

And we all got on like a house on fire and made lasting friendships.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Welcome to MAP?

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Do we NEED unification beyond the normal process of friendships built through a shared interest?

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Not here they don't.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvCN1eIWdz4"]MAP Meet 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

10. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

"Because of styles, people are separate. They are not united because styles became law. But the original founder of the style started off with hypothesis, but now it has become the gosple truth." - Bruce Lee

11. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

I was referring to all systems. And yes I've seen it on here too!

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Why would styles be looking to unify?

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Founder of a style that, in itself, can't be unified.

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

be water, my friend, and apply yourself to the burnt area :p

also martial artists from different styles have been communicating effectively for ages. just look at the origins of okinawan karate, the chin woo association, the early gendai budo styles, etc. others, as befitting any conglomerate of humans, have on the other hand been buttholes and actively antagonized others. but screw those, they're buttholes.