ultimate mount escape

Discussion in 'MMA' started by totality, Jan 29, 2004.

1. totality

totality New Member

now i think it's safe to say we're going to see a lot more kenpoists in mma...and larry tatum will soon be taking randy couture's belt. it was only a matter of time before the almighty style of kenpo was adapted to the ground game.

http://www.ltatum.com/movies/Week22/TipOfTheWeekMedW22.html

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2004
  2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Kenpo's great, but you won't get anywhere training for grapplers with non-grapplers. Bad habits, to say the least.

The uke in the mount didn't even have his weight on Tatum.

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

5 mins of sparring would clear that right up....

People are starting to realise that grappling is important.... but some are still managing to convince themselves and others that sparring isn't.

I bet they claim that they couldn't use there deadly techniques in sparring :D

4. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

There was no mount

It was a guy kneeling over him.

Very poor!

5. totality

totality New Member

did anyone else notice the 80's glam rock photo of tatum in the background?

6. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Video is useful, but making the massive presumption that the guy is going to kneel over him :)

7. totality

totality New Member

it was a joke, in case anyone misunderstood me.

8. walmart stocker

walmart stocker New Member

hummm i couldsay something but i am not trained in any MA styles..a little boxing in my youth though.......in my youth i fought a couple of fights so i assume since i am a stand up fighter mostly he would take he out with that first move he was showing us......he could probably take out anyone with that first move so what is the point in showing the ground move...i don't get it...:confused:

9. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

He was showing how the standup technique translated to groundfighting.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Errr..you have never trained with a grappler have you?:)

Larry seemed to be illustrating a basic ground defence in a very stylised way. Would it work? I doubt it, but at least he has made a token attempt at addressing the ground. Hopefully a bit more digging will improve his approach.

Was it me or was it a square peg/round hole situation? "Well, my Kenpo is so good I can just lie down and do the same thing - hey presto! a "complete" system of fighting". Pull that move off on Bob Sapp and THEN I'll be impressed!