Ulnar Collateral Ligament Injury

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Catman, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Catman

Catman Valued Member

Hi guys,

I'm gonna need some advice from some of you who experienced the same problem as me.
    I was doing 2 weeks ago some heavy bag work but I dont think I wrapped my hands tight enough..or at least I believe so...I think I hooked a bit wrong or I didnt have my fist closed properly but I ended up after couple of days with a very nasty pain on the meaty part of the thumb and also below the index..I find it very dificult to grip thing without feeling a very sharp pain and if i try to bring the palm towards me thats when I feel the pain the most..
    Anyway one of my friends is a physiotherapist and he told me there is a ligament I sprained by punching wrongly..
    The question is how long have you been out of training if you had this sort of problem and also if the injury has healed completely or you always feel it when you do a heavy bag work-out..
    Just looking for some advice in how to avoid getting the same injury once healed up and if it would be wise to work around the injury and carry on training by working defences,shadow boxing,footwork..etc

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Cat

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. Boondoc_Saint

Boondoc_Saint Valued Member

the same thing just hapened to me except it happened during sparring learn to wrap your hands better not just tighter make sure your wrapping them right give it a break for about a week just work on footwork and useing the other hand once your thumb heals practice the right punching technique so it doesn't happen again

take some Anti-inflammatories and alternate between ice and heat should make your thumb heal quicker