UK law and kobutan

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Stan O'Kella, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Knowledge of a martial art in itself of course isnt a dangerous thing, sometimes the person with that knowledge can be their own worst enemy. Some MA ist seem to take joy in the "what would you do if......" threads saying how they would seriously injure someone and that they would use wepaons in order to defend themselves. This kind of pride in the damage they could do will come out at some point in the judicial process, and may be used against them.

Think about it logically, yes its wrong for someone to attack you, but at what point do you stop being the victim and become the offender? It seems to me that some will cross this line if they defend themselves in the manner they portray on here. I'm sure that some of it is pure bravado,and if it came down to it they would try their best to run away, as i would. Some would seriously injure the other person, and seem to take joy in that fact backed up by some that say well done.

The law says reasonable/minimum force can be used, if someone unarmed attacks you and you use your cane to leather them, is it reasonable? IMO no it is not. Use of a weapon by you escalates the level of force you used, its not black and white of course if a 6'4" 18 stone man attacked a 5'2" 8 stone woman then her use of a weapon could be more justified. Every case is judged on its own merits.

Weapons of oppurtunity, like your key are in the eyes of the law an offensive weapon if you use them to defend yourself. In reality chances are you wouldnt be charged with possession of the weapon, just the assault that fits the level of injury on the other person. If the case is ran, if it is clear self defence and the level of force was not excessive it could be dropped prior to it going to court.

Its not all doom and gloom! Being able to defend yourself is a right that is backed up in law, when you become the aggressor you are no longer on the right side of the law and as is right in a lawful(ish) society you should face the consequences.

2. Kukri

Kukri New Member

I guess its all swings and roundabouts. In truth when you look at the laws any object you wield in aggression (even your hands) is an 'illegal' weapon ..heck, even your keys and thats the weapon police will usually advise you use *with a hammer fist grip*). A sturdy steel pen (or even the modern self defence pens) can work wonders and are quite legal and generally easy to give excuses for. For something more exotic (but equally easy to explain away) how about a 1/4 inch 2 female to 1 male jack connector? *how you hold it should be self explanatory* http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=ADPT-2QSFQSM&preadd=action

There are many other 'hidden' objects you can carry as a fine upstanding citizen that won't raise suspicion ..i just train my thumb (using compression conditioning and never impact conditioning training *unless testing the conditioning process has succeeded*). Once you can consistently break a single irish red brick upper ribs are laughably easy ;)

Peace.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  3. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

6 years, 3 months, 8 hours and 1 minute

Necromancy at its best! :Angel:

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Is that like those "knuckle dusters" you can order over the internet because they are sold as "belt buckles"?

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

And illegal in the UK !!!

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Never understood all these over the top self defence things. A pen is all you need.

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

here is the ultimate weapon !!!

Secret Agent Tactical Ninja Sword

( 95 customer reviews )

Sleek, dangerous, tactical! Measuring 27" overall, this sword is one solid piece of cold hard, stainless steel with a heat-treated black baked finish. The blade features fantasy cut outs, teeth like serrations, and a piercing point, and slides smoothly into the included nylon blade sheath. The nylon cord wrapped handle adds a sure grip for easy maneuverability. If there is a sword that screams to be picked up, this one is it!

Attached Files:

9. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Weapons are a confusion here in the UK!!

I checked and found out that my small pocket folding pen knife was well within the legal limits and I have carried one all my life. Until.. one day I drove into Coventry and upon leaving saw a sign that said anyone carrying a knife would be prosecuted for carrying an offensive weapon.. a pen knife the sort of thing people have carried for decades and was considered a normal tool to have with you... weird.

Just to make things worse a constable I was treating mentioned a lad had been done in Bedfordshire for having been out fishing and was caught walking home with a leatherman on his belt. .. a knife for cutting bait on a tool for taking the hooks out of a fishes mouth..... strange laws....

TBH I would say that forget the weapons and such and just have a decent sized flashlight when you are out. Perfectly reasonable to have, a decent weight and something you would normally be expected to have in your hands. If someone attacked you then respond accordingly... shine the light in their eyes ;' )

FWIW

LFD

10. Pretty In Pink

Pen or a torch, both practical IMHO.

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Boy I'd like to be on that jury just to call the rest of them morons if they agreed with the police. I think intent has everything to do with using a weapon. Heck I could walk around all day with a baseball bat and just tell people I'm looking for a game. If I 'happened' to use it to stop a mugger.....Oh well???

12. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Bottom line - if you carry (or have in your home) an implement you plan to use for self-defence (i.e. if you say on here I have a baseball bat next to my bed and will use it if a burglar enters my home) -and actually use it as such, then you're in deep trouble.

Use your brains, guys - keep your self-defence weapons quiet. Don't go blabbing on here about what you have. Your burglar's defence lawyer will find your comments in a heartbeat.

13. Kukri

Kukri New Member

to 'inthespirit': just called me the Dr.Frankenstein of old threads ;)

to Chadderz: i guess, but its a legitimate connector for headphones etc and can be used similar to knuckle dusters (if thats what you were talking about). As for a torch the same thing applies. A friend of mine got attacked in the street and he was carry a maglite ..he hit the guy ONCE and broken his ocular socket and shattered his cheek bone ..just one hit and he had to end up calling a lot of old work colleges to get character witness's in court. It was a lot of hoha (he now wishes he'd just clubbed the guy and left him there, instead of calling the guy an ambulance etc)

to Alansmurf:
    Ninja sword? check this, its an old concept brought up to date (also being designed for military use *currently can only slash but another is being designed for slash+stab* scary) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwRYGpdQf34&feature=related"]Belt Sword - Razor Sword - Video 14 - YouTube[/ame]

Yep the knife/weapons laws are a little crazy. If someone wants to stab you / threaten you etc they will (prison would be a good example of this and peoples ingenuity in constructing weapons). And if people start using stabbing/spike/screwdriver weapons its gonna be very hard for doctors to figure out how to patch you up (a knifes course can be tracked quite well, by an experienced doctor, in the body but a spike/puncture wound has far more guess work involved - so mortality rates rise). i'm personally noticing a raise in these injuries since weapons laws here (uk) have got stricter ..guessing the public won't hear this side of the knife debate in the media or the possible long term consequences. Ahhh humans are a fantastic animal ;)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  14. slapjitsu

slapjitsu Banned Banned

i was led to beleive that any artice carried with out legal excuse, that is commonly used or intended as an offensive weapon is classed legaly in the uk as an offensive weapon.
    You can also get the pull for carrying a sharp or pointed article in the uk.

15. slapjitsu

slapjitsu Banned Banned

by the way if anyone burgals my house and his lawyer find my coments on here, i do home visits as well ;)

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The offensive weapon legislation is specifically "Made, Adapted or Intended"

Nunchaku = Made
    Sock with a rock in it = adapted
    Jif lemon squirty = Intended

17. Pretty In Pink

I just bought one off eBay, should I throw it away?

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

a kubotan you mean? Why would you want to throw away a perfectly good keyring?

(NB - make sure you actually attach keys to it)

19. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

I have developed a theory of coppers, having had a few in the family:

Out of every two coppers, one of them will always know what it is you have on you/are trying to do/trying to get away with.

And IME most constables of the Law who recognise your kubotan will give you a run through the mill. How it ends up depends on how you play it at that point, I suppose.

i.e. "I didn't know what it was", might fly if you can pull of the facial expression in your avatar, you are just coming out of chapel in your choir boy outfit, and the cop's having a good night.

While, "I didn't know what it was, officer, I just used this innocent keyring to break this guy's thumb and wrench his elbow to dislocate his shoulder," might not fly far at all.

20. Cable Focus

Cable Focus Banned Banned