UK knife law

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by zombiekicker, Jul 21, 2015.

1. HachiKuma

HachiKuma Valued Member

Apologies, I wasn't phrasing it specifically to ZK.

2. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

It's a done deal, drying out tomorrow, and I'm stubborn sod when I go health i go full on, got a log ready that I'll post soon. Cheers guys

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I could put forth a very convincing argument that a fixed, through-tang blade, well over 3" in length, is a more useful, and far safer, tool than the blade on a leatherman.

However, I don't expect it would get me very far in a court of law, and it is more likely to end up with me in a court of law having to explain myself.

I can do without that.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  4. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Courts are a joke anyway, magistrates especially

5. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

If the blade has a lock or is over 3", it's an illegal weapon in the UK, or so I was told by a UK cop.

6. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I'd like a small leather man, maybe Peter dinklage

7. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

So a 1.8 inch blade is OK? Its so confusing

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Over 3 inches, locking or a fixed blade In Public, are illegal without good reason.

9. Dead_pool

If its a fixed blade (your neck knife) its still illegal to have in public.

The law is only less then three inch long non locking pen knives are legal without good reason.

A pen knife is a folding knife without a lock.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  10. Dead_pool

Has it a locking blade? If so its illegal,

Most of the keychain ones don't have a lock for that reason.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's one of these.

[​IMG]

Blade is about an inch and a half and not lockable. TBH I struggle to find which of the tools is the blade when I'm sat at a desk. It'd be useless for self defence without a good 2-3 minutes to get it out of my pocket, pull out the nail file by mistake, put the nail file back, find the blade and get that out instead. :)

12. Dead_pool

non lockable blade = completely legal!
    also its a nice publicly acceptable tool, I carry a tiny swiss army penknife on my keys for the same reasons.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  13. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

A pen it is then, I've got enough offensive weapon trouble from my bad period in the 90s, agAin not proud just being honest, getting your eye socket smashed with a pool ball in a sock and losing sight in left eye can give you paranoid tendencies

14. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

If I dressed full Ninjer could I carry bokken and constantly be on my way to fancy dress party?

15. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Indeed.
    I find it a bit sad that even on sub 3" blades, locks are banned. Many swiss knvies including my own multi tool have a locking blade for safety reasons. Mandating that you can only use knives that can close on your own fingers is a bit overly paranoid imo.

Criminals already don't mind what the law says. and yet you don't read about people being stabbed by 2" locking folders. So a reasonable assumption would be that sub 3" knives are not much of an issue in any case.

16. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

You train at a Police station ....ask the experts !!

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

No because its not traditional dress.

18. Dead_pool

I think the thinking is you only need a penetrative wound of of an inch to potentially kill, (aorta etc)
    you cant stab with a non locking blade,
    if you need a lock for valid heavy cutting, then that reason should be enough to excuse the lock.

19. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

The guys moving to Wales, leaving two bb, just gotta find somewhere to train

20. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Personally I find the knife/weapons laws here in the UK really confusing.

I speak to constables who tell me they have seen people charged with carrying a leatherman coming up from the bank of a river. I have driven through counties where the law is NO knife is ever allowed other than for professional purposes and anyone caught will be charged with a felony crime(Coventry). Since when did it become so important to make sure that the public absolutely towed the line?

You can kill someone with almost anything so intent IS the factor that should count. In a country where the majority of males my age were raised to carry a pen knife I find it odd that we have been made into evil criminal types because of problems that occur in a particular part of the population that won't care whether things are legal or not. Case in point, my son was mugged by a guy that said your phone or I will stab you. My son said with what and the guy pulled out an 15'' butcher knife from the back of his jacket. Phone was passed over quickly.

You know back in the colonies we could carry a machete in town without having to worry about this sort of harassment. Is it really so much more deadly/dangerous in Jolly Ole that we have to criminalize most of us who just want to have a tool in case we .. need to unscrew somethign, cut some string, open a can, clean some junk off my show/pop a tack out of the sole of my boot etc etc etc..

LFD