UK concealed carry laws?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by seiken steve, Feb 7, 2012.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Couldn't agree more - I regularly carry a sword or bow around (though a bow's an odd one, since if it's unstrung it isn't a weapon by law) and have never had a problem at all. If someone's getting picked up due to carrying something, it's more likely to be the way that they acted than it is the carrying - or not giving a good enough reason.

It's a very simple one here - if you were to take the sword out of it's carry bag then you're guilty of assault with a deadly weapon. If you hit them with the carry bag it's a different matter.

You can carry them, but it's on the idea that you're only carrying them for sporting purposes and not to use as weapons.

Interestingly you can generally carry such things only concealed - as carrying a rapier down the street bare-bladed would potentially be 'causing a public distubance'.

Having said that, I've done rapier fencing in the middle of busy London parks and never heard a word said about it, even when police were walking past.

A lot of event security staff will carry a large maglite, with a side grip. Obviously the side grip is purely for comfort when carrying...

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Mine are not only in cases but also locked into their saya (scabbard) with the sageo (cord attached to the saya which is used to secure the weapon to the belt).

Even if I did get them out I'd have to then in turn undo the cord as the way it's tied is meant to prevent the weapon being drawn from the scabbard quickly.

If you are training in a weapon based art then you absolutely must act in a responsible manner.

3. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I used to carry my bo, to and from the dojo to my car and from my car to my flat, with a carrier bag tied over the end. I eventualy bought a ski bag from TK Maxx which did the job a little better.

4. Purespite

Purespite Valued Member

Not to mention the Reiho... :)

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm concealing a weapon. I'll leave it at that. :)

6. Dean Winchester

Don't think last nights curry counts....

7. Dean Winchester

:cool:

To be honest if I were ever in the unlikely position whe I felt I had to use those weapons in a full on combative manner then the only reiho you'd see would be me throwing away my saya ;)

:D

8. Purespite

Purespite Valued Member

:)

Are you mad, have you seen how much a new saya costs?

Being new to Iai I'd be stuck working out which of the Seitei kata I'd need to employ ;)

9. Dean Winchester

Stop swearing! It's against MAP ToS.

Pfft seitei :evil:

:D

All joking aside, although I'm not joking about seitei :) , weapon carriage is an important thing to be aware of in the UK.

I make sure not only that my kit is secure but also that I have the relevant contact details for my teachers to hand, just in case anyone in authority requires further evidence.

10. Brixtonbodunwel

Brixtonbodunwel Valued Member

I thank Chock for this brain teaser re the foil and Chinese sword.
    First things first.
    The issue of carriage of the fencing foil would focused on Section 1 Prevention of Crime Act 1953 (I take is as read carrying it between home/work and place of training). It is tools of the trade or for practice of a sport and in this instance by its design is not made to cause injury (i.e. your training partner) note not made to cause injury. If stop the Police would be looking at what is your ‘intention aspect of the act for carrying the foil’ .The fencing foil is designed for sport (You mention of a safe tip on the point of the foil) as much as an umbrella is designed to keep the rain off. Your intention when carrying the foil is to use it as part of your sport of fencing at the class. You would have reasonable excuse for carriage.
    However on the way home from your fencing lesson you are attacked and lash out with the foil in an instinct action to defend yourself.
    The primary issue here is solely of reasonable force and the secondary issue of using the foil to defend yourself doesn’t really come into it. The court's focus (If it got that far) is the reasonableness of your force used to defend yourself.
    R v Butler (1988) looks at this issue but slightly differently as Mr Butler was in possession of and using a sword stick to assist him in walking rather than carrying it as a weapon.
    He was viciously attacked and whilst defending himself he used the sword stick to wound his attacker. The Judge stated that Mr Butler use of the swordstick ‘was perfectly proper in self defence’ however he had no ‘reasonable excuse’ for carrying it in a public place. He was in possession of it prior to the attack and subsequently he was convicted for the possession.
    Had Mr Butler been using a walking stick or carrying an umbrella and inflicted similar injury he might not have committed the offensive weapon offence.

11. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

This thread is ruining my image of the UK being this land of eternal politeness and bunnies. Soccer hooligans have really screwed you guys up concerning weapons laws.

12. Dean Winchester

80's Ninja boom didn't help either.

13. adouglasmhor

[​IMG]

And don't even think about walking the mean streets of Dagenaham with a weapon that can destroy a whole planet. AT Walkers are OK though.
    [​IMG]

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I don't think there is any connection between footbal hooliganism and weapons laws. Or bunnies.

15. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I find it VERY hard to believe bunnies aren't involved. :vanish:

16. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Well, everybody has to eat.

17. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Even football hooligans.

18. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

They can have the mixie bunnies.

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its also interesting to note that a weapon can be carried by Uniformed Military Personnel (usually just being transferred from base to base) or whilst in traditional/religious garb.

IE: That little knife thing that Scots have in their sock (please correct me), is part of full traditional garb. Is acceptable to carry but obviously not to use and only when in FULL garb. So saying you got it in your sock while wearing a polo shirt and jeans and saying you're Scottish doesnt cut it (as it were) .

Same with Sikh traditional clothing, believe a sword is also part of it. Although from what I know, most are nailed into the scabbard now so it cant be pulled out.

20. adouglasmhor

Kilt, sporran and rugby top, kilt, sporran and metalica t-shirt, skian dhu (sock knife) is fine, full highland dress you can carry the dirk on your belt as well.

Finnish national costume you can wear your pukko etc. I think dwarves can carry axes but only if wearing a helmet with horns on.