UFC fighters Vs Greats from the past.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Devildog2930, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

UFC fighters more stand-up than grappling? Most of the matches I've watched have spent more than half their length on the ground.

Why would any of the great strikers of old fair any better than the great strikers of today against grapplers? At least today's strikers expect technical and brutal grappling, and its generally considered mandatory these days to have a good ground game in MMA.

Granted, the fighters of old may have been brawlers, and their fights got dirty and went to the ground sometimes, but its not like they constantly trained on the ground, or were taught the wide variety of grappling techniques that today's fighters were.

Of course a lot of it depends on the fighter; thats a given. If Mike Tyson were to fight a 100lb BJJ blackbelt, the difference in strength alone would tip the scales in his favour. But if he was fighting in his own weight class like a good boy, and he was caught on the ground by a skilled grappler, he'd be pwned .

2. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

I doubt that most of the great boxers would have done wonders in the UFC today. Training methodologies have improved as well as all the supplementation that they take today leads to better athletes. Additionally, those boxers would have little knowledge of submissions.

3. Devildog2930

Devildog2930 Teneo vestri ego.

I agree training methods have been improved but supplimentation isn't that just a fancy word for the rife steroid abuse in the UFC?

4. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

there are lots of supplements besides steroids :rolleyes:

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

err... I dunno.
    I guess that would all depend on how much you know about supplements.
    Supplements are not the same as steroids per se.
    Surely there are plenty of tough fighters with skills that don't need to rely on steroids.

I'm curious... how you come by your information regarding steroid abuse in the UFC or for that matter in MMA sport in general.

Can you please provide some credible citations? :confused:

6. Devildog2930

Without wishing to drop names there are several interveiws in which certain UFC fighters have openly admited that they use steroids. Also here in the UK I know of several MMA fighters that used to be on the body building curcuit who have used different types of steroid and duiretics. Are you really that naive to believe that steroid abuse is not rife in every sport from athletics, cycling through to combat sports. Great credit goes to any athelete that does not use any form of drug to induce beter prefomance. By the way the comment about suppliments was meant to be some what sarcastic obviously there are plent of legal suppliments that can help gain peak performance when training.

7. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Your sarcasm skill is questionable...

Wouldn't the UFC, like a good Athletic organization, take precautions to ensure its fighters AREN'T taking steroids? Openly admitting it in an interview would kinda screw over a fighter's career, neh?

8. Devildog2930

Please read attached a quote from Spike TV fight night 3:
    I don't like Sylvia much, I have to admit, and I think he's bad for the sport. Physically, he's a huge guy, and so when he knocks someone out, it makes the sport look unfair. Take a look at the highlights from his KO victory over Tre Telligman to see what I mean. But he's also a lazy fighter, right up until the moment that he knock's his opponent out. But the biggest complaint I have (because I can't really fault the guy for having an efficient, if not exciting, strategy) is that he got popped for steroid abuse back when he was the heavyweight champ the first time, and was the second guy in his training camp to do so (Josh Burnett was the first). The UFC cannot afford to have a steroid scandal right now. Baseball can get away with because if some guy is juiced-up, then he's just a cheater. In the UFC, a roid freak can hurt, or maybe even kill, another competitor, and I think people will have a visceral reaction to the prospect of this. Sylvia got a slap on the wrist for his abuse, and the UFC will be wise to keep a close eye on everybody from the Militich Camp to make sure that no one else tries to roid up to gain some muscle mass.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The problem with steroids used in this way is that competitors can use them to bulk up and gain strength but then take a break from the steroids just long enough for the drug to be out of the system by the time their fight is due. As far as I am aware the UFC only test main event fighters and most other organizations don't bother at all.

9. bushidoka

bushidoka Valued Member

Roids will increase your mass and strength, and for some, increase agressiveness, but they will not improve your skills. If you are a lousy fighter, you will still suck after years of roid use. If you don't want to use them, there are many other subs on the market that will provide the same results, though typically not in the same amount of time.
    As for mma fighters and knuckle and skull no-holds barred fighters, I'd have to go old school. Y'all talk like submissions are something new. Morrisey once fought for 9 hours, bare fist and no break, and flying mares, head butts and arm locks and throws all allowed. the mid 1800's here in north america bred many great no holds barred fighters, as did the great depression, where for every great fighter there were 20 others on a NY city block even better. It was one of the few ways a youngster could make it big, and these guys were usually strikers for the gangs, working the docks, etc, and knife fights were as common fist fights. The Indians of the 1800's had their own forms of wrestling and joint locks and were well versed in throws. Don't think we have anything new going on here, it is just more commercially available, and in about 85% of the time breeding inferior fighters. Adversity makes a great fighter, not plush clubs and a patch on the arm.
    Well, we all know what opinions are worth, but that's mine anyway lol.

10. ANCIENTMASTER

ANCIENTMASTER New Member

I'd be willing to bet that old man Gene in his prime could take out the whole Gracie clan(individually).

11. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

No. Things like protein intake constantly throughout the day and even things like gatorade to help you be able to work harder longer just weren't available in the 30's.

12. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

I wouldn't doubt that at least some of the ufc have tried illegal doping. Look at cycling yesterday where the top in the world got banned from the Tour De France. I doubt any professional sport is much different.

13. Captain Karate

Captain Karate New Member

I sure like to see what would happen if Mas Oyama stepped into the octagon.