UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs Siver

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Van Zandt, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

3. Southpaw535

4. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

I am concerned that Conor's rise to stardom has been too much too fast. He is getting a loyal following of haters as well as fans. And I fear it's all going to come crashing down when he steps into the cage with Aldo. Aldo's last fight with Mendez was a masterpiece. I started looking at Aldo because I was interested in Macgregor and then ended up becoming a fan of Aldo. He proved in his last fight he is still the champ. I have not seen anything from Conor to indicate to me that he is ready for that level of intensity. I have a feeling this hype train might just derail and smash into Dana's face.

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

How exactly will a massive PPV main event smash into Dana's face? Unless of course, you mean his accountant is going to throw wads of money at him.

And haters buy just as many PPVs as the fans do.

6. Southpaw535

I think the point is he's enough of a draw he could be built slowly and be a steady earner. Instead Dana is throwing him in with Aldo for one big payday where if Conor loses he potentially loses his star power.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If Aldo beats him he'll still be a steady earner and he'll get big fights against Edgar and Mendes after an Aldo loss. But if Edgar or Mendes beats him (very possible), you get no massive main event vs Aldo. Business-wise, it's a no-brainer.

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Unless he was to move up to lightweight, which has a much less significant wrestling orientated population in the upper echelons, i don't see how he could be better promoted, granted, i have no idea if is power will follow him with an extra 10 pounds on his frame, and he will eventually need to run into a guy like Nurmagomedov, who is probably going to ragdoll him worse than Mendes or Edgar could ever dream to.