[TSD] The Lost Art of Tang Soo Do - a guide for the teaching of hyung application

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by maunakumu, Aug 29, 2009.

1. maunakumu

maunakumu New Member

Aloha everyone

I have just finished writing a book called The Lost Art of Tang Soo Do and would like to discuss it with anyone who has read it. The book is a guide for the teaching of hyung application. I wrote it with the intent of passing on a curriculum for teaching applications, not just breaking down hyung and revealing the material that is there. Anyway, I am really excited to hear what people think.

Mahalo Nui Loa

maunakumu

2. maunakumu

maunakumu New Member

Here is the forward that was written for my book...

3. Theforgotten

Theforgotten Drifting Aimlessly

I haven't read it yet, but it seems like a very good book. I have lurked on MT and read a lot of your posts and you definitely know your stuff. I look forward to reading your great book, and I congratulate you on your project :cool:.

4. maunakumu

maunakumu New Member

Thank you so much, I know that it will grow your practice of TSD. I have had lots of good reviews and its exciting. I think the key part of this book is the curriculum that is presented. TSD really doesn't stand out as a martial art. Most people who know anything about it see it as kind of a weird hybrid of shotokan and tae kwon do. This book has the potential to change that by providing a new direction for the art.

5. maunakumu

maunakumu New Member

Thank you everyone who has responded privately. I am glad that you are finding value in my work. Anyway, I wanted to list some of the topics covered in my book for everyone else.

1. I take a look at the effort to introduce the study of bunkai into TSD.

2. I take a critical look at the Hwang Kee's training at the time of the founding of the Moo Duk Kwan in order to trace back where some of the curricular elements came from.

3. I analyze Shotokan and how the grappling elements were subsequently removed over time.

4. I analyze older styles of karate and talk about how they could influence TSD.

5. I suggest a curriculum that draws on some of the lessons of the past in order to give TSD an upgrade.