Trying to watch more boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by nintyplayer, Jul 26, 2013.

1. nintyplayer

nintyplayer Valued Member

I'm trying to watch more boxing. Whenever I look stuff up, it's always Marciano or Ali or Tyson or Mayweather. These can't be the only names in boxing. I'd like to get into more modern stuff, like fights and fighters that are competing this year/last year, etc., and get caught up with the sport in general. The problem is I don't know when or where to watch boxing. It's easy to catch football or something, but whenever I look through the TV guide I don't see any boxing stuff. Where can I watch? And how do I know when a fight I might be interested in is coming up? Where is the information advertised?

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Which country do you live in? There isn't much point telling you about where you can see boxing in England if you live in Uzbekistan. Or vice versa.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

YouTube and search for -

Ricky Hatton
    Winky Wright
    Manny Pacquiao
    Floyd Mayweather
    Marvin Hagler
    Thomas Hearns
    Sugar Ray Robinson
    Evander Holyfield
    Roy Jones Jr
    Barry Mcguigan
    Chris Eubank
    Nigel Benn
    Julio Cesar Chavez (sr)
    Joe Louis
    Zab Judah

All great to watch and you learn a TONNE from the matches

As for modern stuff, just do a YouTube search for "Friday night fights" or "title match" and you get pretty recent results

4. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Don't leave Sweet Pea out man! One of the BEST examples of head movement ever IMO.

5. Saved_in_Blood

It depends on what style you like. Brawlers styles do not usually end up with long careers. Juan Manuel Marquez is a great boxer and one of the best Mexican fighters there has been IMO, but he gets hit a little bit more for my taste. Guys to watch are also solid in their fundamentals. IE. They use their jab as a primary weapon, they keep their hands held higher or use some other consistent means of defense, such as the shoulder roll. As far as modern... you will not find a better pure boxer than Floyd Jr. People don't like him, but the guy trains like mad for EVERY fight, he never takes anyone lightly.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Along those lines, Saul "Canelo" Alvarez...interesting character. They had a good write on him in The Ring a couple of issues back. Don't let the soap-operatic, "gentleman" hype that surrounds him now mislead you into overlooking him.

7. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Also check out:-

Ray Leonard
    Hector Camacho
    Joan Guzman

And one of my personal faves: James Toney :)

8. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Jersey Joe Walcott
    Randolph Turpin
    Sunny Listin
    Steve Collins
    Roberto Duran
    Ken Buchanan

Lenny Mclean v pretty boy Roy Shaw (the Kray twins bodyguard)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw8oNATP83k"]Lenny McLean Vs Roy Shaw - YouTube[/ame]

9. Saved_in_Blood

Saul was in trouble a year or so ago for breaking some guys jaw on the street. That was kept quiet and people like Floyd do something and it's ALL over the place.

10. belltoller

As such things go, a lot of innuendo, facts mixed with rumor and somewhere in it the truth.

Supposedly a flyweight had been accosted by Alverez on the street while they both happened to be jogging. Remarks made to Alverez' girlfriend/common law that didn't set well with someone.

I'd heard that Alverez denied it and claimed his twin brother ( who is also a boxer I think ) was the one to actually hit him, then something about Alverez to have paid all the bills related to the incident, which would imply otherwise...on and on.

I've no idea how much of what is true.

You're right about Mayweather though; it comes with being a mega superstar. People literally digging through yer rubbish, looking for a bit of dirt they can exploit to make a few bob off ya.

Regardless if they're saints, wife-beaters or something in between, they become cartoon fodder. I wouldn't want it for anything - millions or not.

Hats off for remembering the Alverez bit. Its not widely known out there, or its been forgotten.

11. Saved_in_Blood

I know there were a lot of excuses for Alvarez... the truth is that Golden Boy had it swept under the rug from what I had heard from a reporter friend of mine. Money can buy just about anything.

12. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Some names that weren't mentioned yet.

Bernard Hopkins
    Ricardo Lopez
    Julian Jackson
    Willie Pep
    Henry Armstrong

There's a few more I think, but I can't remember right now.

13. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Forget what everyone else said. This guy is modern boxing's pride. Behold:

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJPesST-skg"]BIGGEST BOXING TRAGEDY EVER! usman ahmed aka uzzy entrance - YouTube[/ame]

If that doesn't work, Youtube Uzzy (Usman) Ahmed

14. belltoller

I thought it a "Mr. Bean" spoof at first. Poor Derbyshire...but actually, there's much worse. He's an 8-6 or something. The video shown is a bit contrived as it does have the first round knockout (by Sexton?) but its supposedly spliced with vid from another fight - one that had the daffy entrance.

Don't know much of him but the entrance makes ya wanna slap the sand outta his ears