Trying Pro Wrestling

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Southpaw535, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Title sort of says it all really. Found out there's a pro wrestling school the next road along from my new place, and now I have a 2 hour 1-1 booked for Wednesday. Quite nervous about it. I a small person anyway and not being training for a year so I've got quite the belly now and have even less muscle than I did when I was fighting which wasn't much to start with. Obviously a decent amount of it is supporting and protecting each other so anxious about how much I'll actually be able to do, but if it goes okay I'll try and make it a regular thing in the classes.

About it really, just thought I'd share the weirdness :p

Thomas and Fish Of Doom like this.
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Awesome!!

You will never look at the pro wrestling game the same ever again - it gives you a real insight into the sheer skill, athleticism and artistry involved!

Who is the trainer?

Southpaw535 and Mushroom like this.
  3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Is it Rev Pro? I've got a mate who went to an event recently. They got a pretty decent roster of Ex (and soon to be) WWE people.

I've done some Proresu training and you'll be suprised with the rules and conduct that you have to follow.

Have fun!

Southpaw535 and Hannibal like this.
  4. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Should i keep a eye out for the stage persona called "the kitten wrangler"? :p Also, from some of the wreslters i have seen you will fit in with a big belly.

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

This brings to mind a certain costume you tried from a university party a few years back. If you use that to wrestle, you're a legend :D

Southpaw535 likes this.
  6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Best not to laugh at folks who would casually smash you.

7. Southpaw535

Rishi Ghosh. The sort of art/stunt work side of it is why I like watching it. Seeing how they work together and what not. Quite excited to experience it from the other side.

It is! The conduct is something I'm still anxious about. I get wrestling has potentially moved on a bit but I've read enough horror stories from peoples books or just youtube of how bad and sadistic some places can be that its a slight concern. But then that's a bright side to just doing it as a painful hobby rather than trying to afford food through it.

8. Southpaw535

I can't find a way to post pictures from my computer on the new system, otherwise I so would of shared that one :p

EDIT: I found it!

*ahem* this one?

leotard.jpg

axelb, hewho and Fish Of Doom like this.
  9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Very cool! Have fun! A few years back (OK.... quite a few), a buddy and I looked in to one a few hours from where I live. They were offering a summer training course that looked cool. Sadly, we never did it!

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Southpaw535 likes this.
  11. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Thats Russian professional wrestling, i didnt think you were Russian. :p

And christ i have never been so mortified to open up a spoiler for a picture. Should have read the warning. XD

12. Mushroom

From what I know in my limited circle/knowledge... that kind of hazing/etc is very limited/non existant in the UK.

But with what I learned in Pro-Wrestling, just 1 lesson changed my views (for the better) for when I watch it on TV. Not that I needed further reason to what it anyway, big as a mark as I am.

Southpaw535 and Hannibal like this.
  13. Southpaw535

So the session went really well and was really really fun. Instructor was fantastic, really nice, really motivational. I'm not the best in the world at letting myself go and doing character work and acting but I knew that already. Got through an okay amount. Guy said we got through a lot for a first session and I did well, but ya know. Every 1-1 says that. I felt like I did alright though and I definitely want to do more of it.

Sort of for my own benefit to try and remember, here are the fun things I got to do:

- Front, back, side, flip bump

- Running the ropes (and the accompanying welts on my back)

- Clothesline

- Hip throw

- Lock up and break

- Headlock, wristlock and hammerlock from lock up.

- Grab reversal, and shoulder roll reversal from wrist lock as well as reversing into hammerlock and headlock and did a few nice sequences mixing them up.

- Turnbuckle bump and clotheslines in the corner.

- Did try slingshot into the turnbuckle but I was quite bad at it.

Might be going to an actual class tonight we'll have to see. Well worth the money though I so want to do more. Something oddly fun about taking bumps.

Mushroom, Simon, axelb and 2 others like this.
  14. Hannibal

Yup, you're hooked!

Mushroom and Southpaw535 like this.
  15. Mushroom

Were you taught, when you hit the rope...you have one arm on the top rope, and the other hand on the middle rope?
    Apparently its in case one of the ropes breaks and you will still have some form of balance. I notice (mostly the Mexicans/Lucha) some wrestlers do it, others dont.

Also are you attacking the left arm or right arm only?

16. Southpaw535

Not specifically. I noticed I was keeping my left across my body and asked the coach whether that was okay and he said he prefers to put it against the middle rope in case it snaps but its personal preference.

Again wasn't pointed out specifically, but I've noticed everything we did was left arm attacks and everything always seems to be left foot first with stepping and things. Sucks a little for the southpaw but is what it is

17. Hannibal

Mexico works right side, US and UK work left

Mushroom likes this.
  18. Hannibal

Some viewing material for you Southy!

Southpaw535 likes this.
  19. Mushroom

That is what blew my mind. When I was told this (we were working right as it was a Lucha group), a sub concious scream of
    "I knew something looked funny!"

PS it was Juventud Guerrera who told me this.

Hannibal likes this.
  20. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

serious question - how do you find a pro wrestling school to join? is there like a database somewhere online?