Try to understand how people in other styles may do

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by YouKnowWho, Apr 15, 2014.

1. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

In "Ganseki Nage question" thread, people like to discuss an individual Ninjutsu style application instead of general "under hook" application.

I don't understand why some people always like to keep their MA discussion "pure within their own style". Most of the time, the guy you have to fight in the street will not be a guy from your same system. You will need to know how people in other styles may think and train in order to be able to deal with them effectively.

I'll be more interest to know how a MT guy uses his double neck tie than a wrestler does. The reason is simple. I know how a wrestler will do, but I don't know how a MT guy will do. To be able to deal with a MT guy's knee during clinch is extreme interest to me.

Your thought?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Surely its not a question of either / or, but rather both approaches could provide useful insight.

Discussing a technique from the viewpoint of how it is done within ones own art /style provides improved understanding of the technique from a shared perspective.

Discussing a technique from the viewpoint of another art / style provides improved understanding of the technique from a contrasting perspective.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014