Trump is really smart

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

They do but they do it in private and announce the results after they have gone through a rigorous feasibility assessment

And Trump isn't a businessman - he is an entitled manchild who inherited a crap ton of cash, nearly lost it all, became a reality TV star and is now POTUS and needs to adjust his behaviour accordingly

pgsmith, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Do you have ANY detailed thoughts on it AT ALL?

Again, do you know any actual teachers?

No, he isn't brainstorming, he is throwing out stupid ideas without any thought behind the morality or practical application. Brainstorming means putting some brain power into the details behind a policy. And he is supposed to be our leader, now, what he should be doing is leading. Not throwing out twitter ideas without more attention span behind it than 140 characters.

axelb, pgsmith, Simon and 1 other person like this.
  3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

And good ones keep quiet until the time is right.

It's a stupid idea, plain and simple.

@Hannibal posted this on his FB page earlier this week:

So the above certainly isn't based on high school teachers, so you can certainly adjust the figures to read more than 80 targets.

How many teachers in a school?

Do you think you could actually find the one that is a warrior, given that they are teachers?

And didn't your beloved Trump dodge the Army?

Must have been those scary rifles.

axelb, Dead_pool and Hannibal like this.
  4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

If we don't do something about this soon, we are going to have a teacher shortage. And a bigger shortage of highly qualified people teaching our next generation.

Nowadays, a person who thinks about this as a career has to think about things like..........

- is it worth the risk?
    - Do I want to have to learn to use a gun potentially?
    -would I be willing to put my life on the line for a job that isn't supposed to have to require that?

axelb likes this.
  5. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

I don't masked profanity removed know ok. In theory it could work but in reality? Is it financially feasible? Would the majority of teachers agree to it? I don't know. brainstorming is when you throw an idea out there and you may discard it when you realize it wont work. Maybe that's what will happen here.

6. Simon

Lots of question marks, lots of poor ideas and speaking before doing any research.

Are you Trump's speech writer?

Also, watch the language please.

Hannibal likes this.
  7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Now I think about it, given America's society, I'm kinda surprised armed teachers is coming before the suggestion of having soldiers in schools. You've got spare soldiers to attend football games, love the military to death, but giving Edna the geography teacher a .45 comes up again and again before the actual trained killers are suggested.

Maybe that's just a eurocentric perspective. Every terrorist attack over here there's news of thoughts of having soldiers patrolling for a little while, and obviously France did that for a bit before. But we do that after like 50 people get killed randomly. Kids shoot up a school literally every other week at a minimum, and all that military spending seems to be forgotten about. Its just a bit weird.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'd also like to add again: Would they be *able* to actually fire at a kid?

Not even professional likes shooting at kids I assume, but are probably more willing and able to do it, than a teacher would.

9. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

You seem to think im Trump's sidekick. Im not. I don't like his macho attitude and I don't agree with him on everything. That don't mean I think hes always wrong.

10. Simon

Watch your language please.

We are a family friendly forum and that's two edits in two posts.

11. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

Sorry about the language. Its a bad day. im not in a great mood today.

12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm a teacher. Well, a student teacher. But I've been put in the classroom and I have to deal with all kinds of kids, and all kinds of problems. Some of them are goofballs. Some of them are depressed. Some of them are angry. I teach at a diverse school both racially and in terms of socioeconomic background. My kids are scared. They joke about shooting each other shouting 'she's got a gun.' Two were arrested yesterday for making online threats. There are frequent fights. But they know who I am. They know they can talk to me and they do. They tell me heartbreaking stories. There is some virtue to having them know that my position, no matter how they misbehave, no matter what they do, my position does not waiver and does not change. I am their instructor, their advocate, their ally. Giving me a gun changes that. Will I be looking at them thinking "Do I need to shoot one of these kids someday?" Will I be watching their behavior to see if today's the day one of them has snapped? You give teachers guns, I guarantee you, some kid will die for the wrong reasons.

Frodocious, Mitch, pgsmith and 8 others like this.
  13. Simon

What a fantastic post.

pgsmith, axelb and philosoraptor like this.
  14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I know you cant answer right now, but what about trump do you NOT agree with?

15. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

My wife teaches high school chemistry. She has several thoughts on arming teachers. I'm not sure these are all her thoughts (frankly discussing the situation tends to get her a bit upset, so I haven't delved too deeply into it with her), but:
    - If she were required to arm herself with a gun in order to teach, she would quit teaching.
    - The idea of some of her less competent co-workers having a gun scares her.

One of my thoughts:
    - What sort of procedures around control of the weapon would be needed to prevent students from gaining control of it?
    I don't know what the right procedures would be, I'm not trained in this area. But without very good procedures in place, students will be able to get hold of those teachers weapons sometimes. Even with good procedures it would probably happen some of the time. But I can't imagine teachers would have time to train adequately. Also, how much of their mental capacity would need to go towards being alert for someone trying to get hold of their gun? How much would that impact their ability to teach or interact with their students?

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Is this another of those examples of Trump "just doing what he said he would do?"

Or can we agree he's actually just suggesting stupid solutions and revealing a staggering lack of insight?

17. philosoraptor

Yes and yes.

So let me describe the various movements of my day and my mentor teacher's.

We have first period free so we spend it in her friend's room. We do not have an office or prep room.
    Afterwards we go to home room, and our first class of the day.
    Then we go to the Language Lounge to relax.
    Then another friend's room.
    Then back to our original room for another two classes.

Today we had a problem completing a lab because some of the special ed students got into balloons that we were using for a fermentation lab. There's absolutely no way that we could secure a weapon anywhere in the room. It would have to be on our person at all times.

A teacher recently shot herself in Utah when she sat down on a toilet.

That's what we're dealing with here.

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  18. philosoraptor

I think he actually said he wouldn't arm teachers.

19. Dead_pool

If you check his twitter he says he doesnt want to arm teachers, but he will arm some teachers, but not all teachers.

Arming some teachers is still arming teachers.

Twitter

"

[​IMG]
    Donald J. Trump
    @realDonaldTrump

I never said “give teachers guns” like was stated on Fake News @CNN & @NBC. What I said was to look at the possibility of giving “concealed guns to gun adept teachers with military or special training experience - only the best. 20% of teachers,
    "

20. Dead_pool