Trump is really smart

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Oct 14, 2017.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Yeah, it's become a cliché that commercial fusion generators are always 40 years away, and have been for decades.

Private investment is starting to weigh-in on the problem in a big way though: The secretive, billionaire-backed plans to harness fusion

Actually, a Lagrange point station would be the staging post, and the lunar surface would be used to develop and test technology for Mars and asteroid missions, as well as good ol' fashioned geology and exploration:
    - https://www.globalspaceexploration....6a3-1400-4b47-b6ba-3556755273c3&groupId=10812

philosoraptor likes this.
  2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

LOL, well, we'll see. That could be really cool if it becomes possible.

I see the utility of a Lagrange point station, but I don't see why we'd want to develop or test technology on the surface of the moon - we'd have to spend the money to launch them up to space, get them into orbit with the moon, decelerate them onto the moon, then... what? Just leave them there if they don't work out? Or worse, if they do work, launch them back into orbit, then out towards Mars? That's a lot of delta-v. Anything that humans could do on the surface of the moon could likely be done by robots, so my vote is Lagrange yes, surface no. :]

3. philosoraptor

Gotta have this playing over the speakers the whole damn time though.

pgsmith, Mitch and David Harrison like this.
  4. David Harrison

I think you are underestimating the impact of public support to build political will and secure budgets.

People get excited about astronauts. Robot rovers not so much. Plus, I think it would be important for developing robust technology and procedures for a Mars mission. If you had redundancy for craft and crew at the Lagrange point station, then people on a lunar base would have some hope of rescue.

You could make the same argument for deep sea geology and taxonomy. What's the point?

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

since i saw this video, i've been on serious edge and just totally ticked off.

my mother--the waitress--worked in catering at a fancy golf resort. no one would confuse her for "merit based immigrant". to think that for 40 years, she served people just like the president. i'm just fuming that anyone can think this way about other people. my mother is by far the most pious christian i know. and not like a fake christian that voted for roy moore. legit, love they neighbor as you would yourself type, quite prayer kind of person, never wore her faith on her sleeve or politically. came here and worked on her feet for 40 years so that me and my brothers could become something, and settle down. i'm not expecting nor would want any kind of inheritance from my parents because my parents have already given me and my brothers everything they could possibly have. and in order to educate myself, i had to work basically from 13 years old (caddying for guys like the president at the aforementioned fancy gold resort) and in restaurants in order to pay for my own way, with whatever little help my parents could give me

it's helping me to post my thoughts. but i'm so wound up right now and on the verge of tears.

true story, my first bicycle....my mother saved only her quarters that she got from tips for my bike. every night when she came home, she would come get me and we would put the 1-2 quarters, or whatever she got, into the bicycle piggy bank until we had enough so that i could have a bicycle.

6. David Harrison

Compare that to Trump, who doesn't know what it is to want for anything, runs businesses into the ground like they're toys and then goes running to daddy for more cash.

7. Giovanni

clearly the issue we need to work harder and (peacefully) organize better then they can to beat trump and the fools that have emboldened him. our passion is for equal opportunity for all, regardless of ethinicity or sexual orientation or religion (and lack of). if you look at everything this president and congress are trying to put through, it's to tilt the playing field even more in favor of inherited or already established wealth.

clearly we've elected the worst of us, not the best. we had one of the best among us as president, and trump and his ilk spent 8 years talking smack about a decent man.

8. Giovanni

trump wouldn't last a day working at my company. i'd have fired him already.

Dead_pool and philosoraptor like this.
  9. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

But... But I *want* the Vulcans to find us.
    Vulkans are awesome!

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

11. philosoraptor

Why can't you develop that technology and procedures in Tucson instead of on the moon though? Heck, you've even got more similar gravity. Not saying we shouldn't colonize space, just that the moon doesn't represent an efficient place to build a launching pad.

Absolutely ridiculous.

David Harrison likes this.
  12. Dead_pool

Why the CDC’s “7 banned words” is worse than you think – Aetiology

More about why the cdc have banned the phrase "evidence based"

"
    is the suggested replacement given for “science” or “evidence-based” is instead: “CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes.”

Soak that up. This opens the door for official CDC documents to support, say, abstinence-based education in conservative areas as a “recommendation based on science in consideration with community standards and wishes.” In other words, not science-based at all, even though many communities support it *despite* the scientific evidence. Or anti-vaxxers in Oregon who believe vaccines are “toxic” to have that now become a CDC recommendation based “on science in consideration with community standards and wishes.”

If this policy is allowed at the CDC, there’s no reason to think this will stay in that agency, either. Imagine all of HHS, NASA, NOAA, the Department of Education, and many others requiring similar definitions of science/evidence-based. It’s programmatic approval of the idea that facts are anything you want them to be.

It’s literally turning “truthiness” into Federal policy."

13. Dead_pool

Breaking news

Attached Files:

pgsmith and Latikos like this.
  14. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

pgsmith and Dead_pool like this.
  15. Dead_pool

16. Giovanni

prepare to watch conservative heads explode. not because of the un resolution against moving our embassy that was just passed. heads have already exploded over that one. but because of the staggeringly small amount of foreign aid we give to other countries, which is now all over the press because of the administrations threats. it's been one of my favorite points of obviousness among conservatives for decades now. how much people think we spend on foreign aid versus what we actually spend is almost flat-earth-ish in it's discrepancy.

in other words, if our gdp is almost 19 trillion and we send 35 billion to other countries in aid...oh well you do the math. even if you count the aid against our yearly revenue, the number is still staggeringly small.

i'm visualizing a scene in "scanners".

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  17. Dead_pool

I was thinking about numbers recently, bare with me....

Part of the problem is definitely education, but part of the problem is the issue of scale, we all know what 20 or 80 of something look like, when we get into the tens of thousands its a little more unclear (hence some household getting into crippling debt), to the average person, a trillion doesn't feel much more then a million, or even a billion. It's out of normal people's experience to think in that scale, which is why politicians love to lie to us about this, £350 million pound a week in the UK's case.....

Back on topic, the US ambassador, seemed very grubby by her actions today, and trump even more so, I'm even more sure trump is a bad negotiator now.

David Harrison and Giovanni like this.
  18. Dead_pool

19. Giovanni

right. people don't understand the scale of millions versus billions versus trillions. or, also just as likely, are too lazy to figure it out using math. for sure, that's a problem. the other problem is people are uninformed.

haley is horrific. just more of the idiots/losers the trump regime of incompetence has foisted on all of us as a whole.

Dead_pool likes this.
  20. Dead_pool

"before the vote, Haley – who earlier in the week told members that the US “would be taking names”– returned to the offensive.

I must also say today: when we make generous contributions to the UN, we also have expectation that we will be respected,” she said. “What’s more, we are being asked to pay for the dubious privileges of being disrespected.”

Haley added: “If our investment fails, we have an obligation to spend our investment in other ways … The United States will remember this day.”

UN votes resoundingly to reject Trump's recognition of Jerusalem as capital

Is this really how the US wants to be seen by the world?