Trump is really smart

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Oct 14, 2017.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

the part that i find the most amazing about polarization in this country is how much rural voters hate the rest of us and how eager those same voters are to tell us how to live.

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. David Harrison

So, Trump signed the Jerusalem waiver anyway.

Once again showing that he says one thing, and then does pretty much the same as every president before him.

I honestly don't think he sees being president as being different from being a reality TV star. It's all about headlines and exposure, and nothing to do with substance or action. His comments about Sean Spicer were very telling to me, when he was asked why he kept someone so useless at his job, he said it's because he gets good ratings.

pgsmith and Giovanni like this.
  4. Giovanni

but but but....he's such a good negotiator. if he was negotiating the iran deal, we would have gotten something better.

he's not a liar, everyone else is. all politicians lie, trump keeps his promises and he wins.

pgsmith and David Harrison like this.
  5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Net neutrality vote is going on right now. As a uniquely bipartisan issue I see this, the tax bill, and mainstream support of Roy Moore being albatrosses in 2018 and 2020, but heck, I've been wrong before.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

philosoraptor likes this.
  7. philosoraptor

I think congress still needs to vote on it actually!

8. Dead_pool

Good to hear it, apparently they getting sued by quite a few people too, which might help!

9. philosoraptor

There's only a select few people this benefits; as far as I've seen, the only people supporting it are ideological libertarians and a set of large businesses, while it's facing bipartisan condemnation.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Really interested in this:

Really happy if it happens. I bet it's because Elon Musk is pushing for space exploration. Trump is taking advantage of the fact he will have unlimited resources to beat Musk to it.

I might be totally wrong though.

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  11. David Harrison

That was kind of a scary little speech.

It wasn't the common human benefit stuff that you usually hear associated with space programmes, but sounded more like they want to militarise space before anyone else does.

NASA made a telling comment:
    - President Signs New Space Policy Directive

So I guess we'll see if he puts his money where his mouth is. He wouldn't be the first president to talk big about space and then stiff NASA for cash.

Pretty In Pink and Dead_pool like this.
  12. philosoraptor

I don't really see the point of sending astronauts to the moon. Place is a rock. Establishing a moon base isn't any more useful than a space station so...

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think it will do a lot of good. Vulcans wont find us unless we out ourselves out there.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    David Harrison likes this.
  14. David Harrison

Strip mine it for Helium 3 to use in fusion generators!

Also:
    - Helium-3 mining on the lunar surface

And can't you make concrete with lunar surface material? That would bring costs down for a staging post compared to a space station.

Dead_pool likes this.
  15. David Harrison

Isn't Trump alienating a chunk of his base by pretending the moon landing hoaxes were real?

16. Dead_pool

17. Dead_pool

philosoraptor likes this.
  18. philosoraptor

Sure they could! You can see a space shuttle launch from Pluto if you squint.

I thought that was still largely theoretical?

I don't really know what that would get you though. Any materials you need for a space ship will still need to land and take off from the moon, wasting delta v. Are you thinking of concrete based spaceships?

19. philosoraptor

20. Giovanni

it's hard to listen to this. i just can't believe that our president is such a virulent bigot. well....i can because he's been very honest about this for decades. but still, i just can't believe this is the low we've sunk to as a nation. 60 million voted for this piece of work. what does it say about us that he's the president?

remember when barack obama was the "most divisive president in history"?

full disclosure: i am a child of immigrants. my father has a 4th grade education, my mother high school. father worked in a ball bearing factory for 40 years, mother worked as a waitress for 40 years.

philosoraptor and David Harrison like this.