Trump by name......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

He's really not.

What he does stand for is the party of Trump. Anything that benefits him and his extravagant family's absurd wealth; his racist, xenophobic, and bigoted beliefs and his overwhelming desire to satiate his insatiable ego.

pgsmith likes this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

3. Dead_pool

Trump Moves to End DACA and Calls on Congress to Act

How do the republican voters here, view the ending of the DACA programme, does the deportation of law abiding, tax paying, adults who had been children when they moved to the US, fit in with the republican view that if you work hard, and dont commit criminal acts, you an be a success in the US of A?

pgsmith and philosoraptor like this.
  4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Huh? o_O I'm not a Republican, but if I was a Republican, I wouldn't answer that question because it inaccurately frames the issue.

5. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Can of worms. DACA was unconstitutional when passed by executive order. As a conservative, I am against it.
    There has always been an argument about what to do with "illegal aliens" already living and working. Reagan gave amnesty to 100's of thousands of illegals during his presidency and was supposed to get increased border security for his decision. Clinton tried in his administration to secure the border and nothing happened. Bush II got a law passed to build a border wall/fence but congress never funded the law. So our history has been to somehow grant amnesty to illegal aliens and never secure our borders to prevent the problem from reoccurring.

40% of illegal aliens are from Visa overstays. The question is whether children of illegal aliens, not born in the U.S., have a right to stay here. Do we punish the child for the sins of the parents? Well, in my opinion, yes. To do otherwise would be to separate the children from their families. This will put me in the heartless category with some. Other DACA protected children were sent here by their relatives to establish themselves in the U.S. and provide a way for family members to travel to the U.S. The human trafficking involved is horrendous! What loving parent sends a teenage child across a country's (or several countries) border? Our immigration system is a magnet for abhorrent practices tied to cross-border travel.

6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Are you sure about those statistics? In the UK we've recently found out our stats were far from the truth: Theresa May under fire as student visa myth exposed

If the children were born in the USA, then the constitution says they are citizens, no?

Ever been to a poor country? That's what a lot of loving parents try to do when their children have no prospect of a decent future at home.

7. aikiMac

Yes, but DACA addresses children not born in the USA, whose parents were not citizens, either. So they're the illegal-alien children (now grown up) of illegal aliens.

Here's another way of looking at it:
    Being an illegal alien is against the law. The executive branch of the government is supposed to enforce the law. Someone in the past decided that rather than enforce the law by deporting illegal aliens -- emphasis on "illegal" because we're talking about enforcing the law -- that the executive branch should give the illegal aliens temporary passes. Meanwhile, Congress has not changed the law to make them not-illegal-aliens. Time passes, time passes. The illegal aliens are still here and they're still illegal and Congress still has not changed the law to make them not-illegal.

So a new executive comes along and says, "Hmm, there's probably going to be a lawsuit regarding what my former executive was doing. And I'm pretty sure we're going to lose that lawsuit. Rather than continue with this questionable practice, I'm going to instead actually enforce the law. Because that's what the executive branch is supposed to do."

So maybe during all this time the illegal aliens could have and should have filed for permanent status and/or citizenship. But they didn't. And maybe during all this time the compassionate Democrats could have and should have changed the law to make them not illegal. But they didn't. But of course instead of blaming the illegal aliens for not making themselves legal, and instead of blaming the compassionate Democrats for not revising the law, we'll blame the new executive who actually wants to act like an executive, by enforcing the law that Congress wrote.

That's just one way of looking at it. But I haven't been a Republican for more than 20 years, so, whatever.

narcsarge likes this.
  8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Could they have done that?
    Or is there some law or whatever, that would prevent that for some reason?

Serious question, because I could imagine that there is some loophole or similar, that prevents these steps, because their status isn't a clear thing.
    Or at least that was the first thing, that came to my mind.

9. narcsarge

Yes. Now our D.H.S. has the number of overstays @ 1.47% . Visa overstays outnumber illegal border crossings; trend likely to continue

As for the question that the Constitution allows for the children of illegal aliens to be classified as citizens is also a can of worms. The original writing and interpretation of who constitutes a citizen used to mean children born only to U.S. citizen or naturalized citizen. The civil rights act of 1866 also mentions naturalized citizen. So you can look @ the 10th Amendment and the civil rights act for guidance. The Dreamer Act and D.A.C.A all allow people who are neither citizens or naturalized citizens some sort of protection from deportation because the children born here are "citizens".

Nope. Never left the continental U.S. But, some of the people who all about open borders call those of who want immigration laws and borders enforced... HEARTLESS and uncaring.

10. aikiMac

For at least some of them, yes. You get an adult relative to sponsor you. For the rest of them -- I honestly don't know, but if the answer is "no" the blame falls on Congress for writing bad laws. There's no two ways about it: Congress is supposed to write the laws. And this is what Congress wrote.

To make an analogy, the media is blaming Hannibal for arresting someone who broke a law that the media doesn't like. But at what point do we enter despotism or anarchy when the law enforcers only have to enforce the laws that they like, and can ignore the rest?

narcsarge likes this.
  11. narcsarge

Kinda like marijuana laws, citizenship status, etc... :eek::eek::eek:

12. David Harrison

I've heard your views on immigration before, aikiMac. It's a perfectly reasonable position, to me, that you think laws should either be enforced or changed.

However, and this isn't something I know a lot about beyond some recent news stories, it does seem, as Obama said, cruel to essentially use an amnesty as a means to "flush out" illegal immigrants who wish to become tax-paying citizens (and, I guess have been paying tax... wasn't there some kind of furore over your way about representation a while back?).

Didn't Obama shift the focus more toward punishing employers, rather than immigrants? That seems like a more sustainable solution to me.

13. David Harrison

Aren't both those things to do with conflicts between state and federal law?

14. aikiMac

I'd set off the swear filter if I said what I really think. In very bland language, this is a horrible and cruel position we (the collective "we") put hurting people in. It's absolutely awful. But it's not the President's fault.

It doesn't have to be an either/or choice, and, also, I don't see how that makes life better for the DACA immigrants.

narcsarge likes this.
  15. David Harrison

Isn't it a little naive to think that you can deport all illegal immigrants and stop any more from coming in?

Isn't channeling them into the system better for the economy, as well as the people involved?

16. narcsarge

Yup! States can't make immigration laws/policy (see the furor over Arizona writing an exact replica of the federal law for immigration enforcement) nor can they ignore federal law (see sanctuary cities). If States have the power (through the 10th amendment) to have more power then the federal government then why the need for a federal government at all (Confederation of States as it was before the Constitution)? If the Federal government has that power to force states to follow federal law, why the fights about sanctuary cities losing federal funding? The arguments are easy when you go to the original intent of the Constitution but we are far from our constitutional republic now.

17. aikiMac

In reverse order -- as to the first, yes. But that's for Congress to do.

As to the 2nd, I disagree that that is the mental state behind enforcement. For any law at all, do we send the police out to catch criminals thinking that we're going to stop all future violations of that law? E.g., do we think that we can stop future murders by arresting the murderers we know of right now?

(I would hope not, because I would agree with you that it is embarrassingly naive!)

18. David Harrison

Well, part of law enforcement is deterrent, isn't it?

I just figure that deterrents only work on people with something to lose, so it makes sense to me to focus efforts on deterring employers from employing illegal immigrants. You have to change the risk/reward balance for those who are taking advantage of illegal immigrants. When it comes to employment law, you might not entirely wipe out slavery, child labour or whatever, but you can make those crimes incredibly rare. I don't think immigration works the same way as murder...

19. SCA

SCA Former Instructor

The House passed a bill in 2010 but it failed in the Senate after a handful of Democrats voted against it. So they don't have a clear path to citizenship.

They are Americans in every way except "on paper." The vast majority are productive members of society and not criminals. This is another poor decision by Trump to add to the growing list and Congress needs to pass legislation that would give them a clear path to citizenship. The executive branch sets enforcement priorities for immigration laws and this is a step backwards towards fixing the system.

20. Dead_pool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.