Trump by name......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Actual your point was that they had the same approval rating, and therefore could be comparable....

They didn't though, unless you consider comparing different polls with different methodologies, when the same polls with the same methodologies are available, as good practise, which it's not.

It's called cherry picking evidence.

2. Dead_pool

Amazing!

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

My explanation of my point is better than your explanation of my point.

You know, there are ways of talking with people that is different than arguing with them. It'd be nice if you try it now and then.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I can't envision a scenario in which Trump turns it around without vastly reimagining Trump himself. It seems late in his life to expect a dramatic awakening of any sort.

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

Its called debate, that's also why it's called a forum.... Which is a place for debate.

Anywho inappropriate statistics are still inappropriate statistics.

6. aikiMac

Ohhhh, that explains it. Your fundamental idea is wrong, see. A "forum" is not necessary a place for debate. It's can be a place to talk. Truthfully, not everyone wants to fight on a keyboard. They instead want to make friends and talk about -- not argue -- this, that, and the other subject.

7. Dead_pool

Debate is talking, besides I'm the op of this thread, which is about Trump, so if you jump in and try to say he's just misunderstood etc, of course we'll debate you.

Besides debate is good, it keeps us all morally straight.... ;)

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Blaspheme you heretic!

::continues to sharpen keyboard::

pgsmith likes this.
  9. aikiMac

LOL!

10. Dead_pool

Is that why your ignoring other posters on this thread?

Because you only want to be friends, and not challenged to think?

11. Dead_pool

That's not very friendly, and also a logical impossibility.

12. aikiMac

Yes, but it's only a subset of talking, not an equality.

He unapologetically insulted me and my family. I have to screen his posts, but I don't have to talk to him.

Dude, for someone who puts a webpage of logical fallacies in his signature -- you're being incredibly dense. And you're putting forth a false dichotomy. Making friends and being challenged to think are not mutually exclusive. You can do both. I do it every week.

I'll try a m.a. analogy. I can spar you with the intention of bruising you, and I can spar you without the intention of hurting you at all. Either way it's sparring, but don't you think, based on your own m.a. experience, that you would feel the difference on the mat? Wouldn't you sense after the first couple punches/whatever, "Whoa, he's really going after me!" or "Okay, he's just being friendly" ? Yet they're both "sparring."

There's something like that on an internet forum.

13. Dead_pool

You've already said you don't want to debate, that means you don't want to be challenged to think, if you can't see the connection between the two, maybe you shouldn't be calling me 'dense'.

I'm not here to make friends, although I am real world friends with some of the people on here.

14. Dead_pool

Is that how you make friends, insults?

15. aikiMac

As I said, you're making a false dichotomy. One can be challenged to think, without the threat of black eyes and other bruises (to stick with the m.a. analogy). I do it every week (and I mean that outside the dojo). I'm sorry that you don't. I'm also sorry that you don't want to make more friends.

16. Dead_pool

As long as you stick to rational debate, there's no need to get emotionally upset, I would propose people who get upset over rational debate, are likely to have views that aren't fact based, and just don't like being proved wrong.

I.e thinking being proved wrong is the same as getting beaten up Is a false dichotomy.

17. aikiMac

You're still missing the point. It's intent.

A) Is your intent to score discussion points so as to appear to be the winner over the other person?
    B) Or is your intent just to dig deeper into the subject with the other person, wherever the line of thought goes?

A) Does the other guy need to bring a shield and helmet because you're going to be swinging at him?
    B) Or can he put his feet up and relax because he knows it's not about him, but is just about the discussion subject?

You convey group "A" there. As an example, your phrase "being proved wrong" conveys that you seek a keyboard victory over the other guy, in a game of winners and losers.

18. Dead_pool

That's how debate works, you pick a side. You present your arguments, back it up with evidence and see where the argument goes, without winners and losers you won't get to the Truth.

It's the same in science, peer review and replication is the gold standard of any study.

I'm very happy to be proven wrong, it's just like sparring, you only know what's a bad idea by trying it out!

19. Dead_pool

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I can't see any benefit towards allowing guns into protests. I feel some sympathy for CCW proponents, but I think sooner rather than later someone's going to pull the trigger on one of these rifles and a completely chaotic situation is going to erupt.

David Harrison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.