Trump by name......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

lol that would be quite charitable. it seems his real talent is one of division. this seems to be the whole point, no? he's going to keep bringing up race, making sure the "liberal" press calls him a racist. all he's doing is solidifying his base.

he reminds me of a school-yard bully. excellent at taunting. basically, over 60 million americans voted for a racist bully to be our executive. nice world we're living in.

the south of france is looking more and more enticing with each passing day. the mediterranean. french wine. french cheese. rugby.

Dead_pool likes this.
  2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Just a minor point,folks.

I don't think G. Washington & the gang should be brought up.

Washington,Jefferson,Adams,Franklin,etc -(and even quite a few of my ancestors!) who fought in the Continental army were traitors. They rebelled against their government,some breaking solemn oaths.

We can blow off fireworks on the 4th of July because the war ended in favor of the (future) US of A. Otherwise all the major players would have been hung,imprisoned,etc."cause they were traitors.We just prefer to call them patriots."Cause we won. The 1775 revolution is certainly not comparable in justifiable circumstances to say,the Irish "problems" beginning in the Elizabethan period onwards.Or Nat Turner's.Or the Mau Mau.Point of fact many of the Founding Fathers had purely mercenary reasons for fomenting/joining the revolt.Sam Adams and ol' George spring immediately to mind.

Also,we can decry people choosing to fight for a regime that wasn't just focused on oppressing/exterminating native peoples but also wished to keep another oppressive/exploitative institution going but I suggest some of you familiarize yourselves with the mid 19th century mindset regarding one's home state and the country as a whole. Much,much different than today. While I don't agree with the CSA government platform it is quite understandable why many chose not to fight for the Union against their individual state.

In Lee's case he is only one of some of the military leaders who thought secession was idiotic.He's also only one of some who fought against the Federal government because he could not "raise my sword against my country" (Virginia) or words to that effect. Identification with your state was a major thing then as opposed to now. A "matter of honor." Even if we,with our modern sociological outlooks feel that honor was misplaced.

And I say this knowing I'd probably have quite few more relatives today if Lee's boys hadn't killed 'em at Chancellorsville.

3. Giovanni

i think you have many interesting points. but one in particular....

i think for me, lee is rightly pilloried. i get the identification with virginia. but at the end of the day, this man chose to take up arms to expand the enslavement of human beings. but i'm curious, how many others chose the same route? i don't know how to even find this information out. how many virginians went union versus confederate?

i don't see how it's honorable to stick with one's country or state no matter what. that seems to be the opposite of honorable. that just, to me, means we have no morality and are just tribalists.

4. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

And ... you've just revealed the reason that Trump was elected, in my opinion, and may end up being re-elected if he isn't forced out before then. Every petty dictator the world over knows that the quickest way to solidify your power is to create an "us vs. them" scenario. If you can get people to identify with "us", you can get them to do almost anything as long as there's a "them" that they can focus on, because the origin of mankind lies in tribal identity. The great majority of people just want to 'belong'.

aikiMac and Giovanni like this.
  5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

It's a tough scenario to be in, family versus anything else. But certainly you're familiar with the phrase, and it's meaning, "Blood is thicker than water." I know you're not a mother, but you're no doubt familiar with the concept of mothers defending their children no matter what. That's what those guys were faced with: stand with family no matter what, or fight against family.

That's a really, really bad place to be.

As far as I know, all indications are that General Lee had no desire to leave the Union himself, but his loyalty was to Virginia. He had served the Union Army than 30 years when war broke out. If Virginia stayed, he would have stayed and he would have been a Union general. But Virginia left. His family left. So he had to leave. He's honored not for leaving, contrary to the outcry today, but rather for being an incredibly talented general. He was a graduate of and a superintendent of West Point -- and he used that experience to win most of his battles against superior forces. He lost in the end, duh, but until then he was embarrassing the North. Barracks at West Point are named after him because he was such a good general (and one of their own), not because he fought on the wrong side.

6. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So what your saying is, he was 'only following orders'?

I'm not a big fan of moral relativism, and neither are normally republicans/trumpettes, funny that isn't it.

Giovanni likes this.
  7. Dead_pool

8. aikiMac

No. I'm saying that it sucks to be caught between family and friends on the one side, and on the other side what you otherwise think is right.

Ya, I can see what you're saying. I wish that Democrats were always against moral relativism!

9. Giovanni

i'm a father of 3. no, i'm not going to defend my family no matter what. and i'm pretty sure that you wouldn't either.

"oh well"

Dead_pool likes this.
  10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

It's incredible scary to read here/ links and the such the exact same opinions on how nothing too bad could happen as were said back in the day in Germany.
    Scary as hell, really :(

Giovanni and Dead_pool like this.
  11. aikiMac

This is confusing. I know for sure that moral relativity was argued/defended on this forum in the past. I'm not saying you argued it, I'm just saying I remember it being argued. But now that it's 2017, something changed. Something is different. Moral relativity is the wrong answer now.

:eek: :oops: I dunno. I'm confused by the lack of continuity in the world at large around me. Like Dead Pool pointed out a few posts up, something went weird. :shrug:

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I think moral relativism is a demonstrable fact. The racists in Charlottesville only serve as further evidence of it, as they believe they are on a moral crusade.

That in no way prevents me from finding their views disgusting.

13. aikiMac

That's not the comparison I would make. I was rather thinking of pre-1860 versus today. Not just in my country for "four score and seven years" plus the colonial period before that, but in many other countries, slavery and a dozen other things we don't like now, were just a fact of life. That's just the way life was 160+ years ago. It just was.

Taking that further, a local radio host raised an interesting question. Transplanting morals of 1860 into today doesn't work. It's "disgusting," to borrow your word, and statues must come down, people say, because our morals have changed. Okay, the question on the radio is, can we apply that same rule to the morals of 1960? Should we? Life in 1960 was just different than it is now. It just was. But if we apply that same rule, then statues of Martin Luther King, Jr. must come down, because he was on the wrong side of the same-sex marriage equality issue, as measured today, and he was very vocal about it.

The radio host was just saying this to point out the inherent instability going on right now. He was not advocating pulling down MLK statues, and neither am I. But I find the question he raises both puzzling and troubling.

14. Giovanni

slavery was just a fact of life? there weren't abolitionists in 1860 and before? oh wait...
    Uncle Tom's Cabin - Wikipedia

martin luther king took up arms against the united states of america because he didn't like teh gayz?

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  15. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Less about who the people were, more about what they are remembered for and what the statues represent.

16. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

But all of that is irrelevant to why the statues should be removed from public places. The statues were originally erected because these people were heroes of the Confederacy, which was committed to slavery and considered black people to be less than human. Today, we know that this is wrong, so these people should no longer be considered "heroes" to anyone. They are a part of our history however, so these statues (those that aren't terrible, and some of them are!) should be relegated to museums.

17. Giovanni

18. Dead_pool

19. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

But again, that's our sense of morality. There really was a different mindset.There are certainly people,for good or ill, who act the same way today- "doesn't matter if my friend/brother/whatever was in the wrong,I'll stand by him". I've seen that enough times.

One person's "matter of honor" can be perceived by another as idiocy. One of the McCoys (think Hatfield vs. McCoys) fought for the union and when he went home after the war someone murdered him.His family members felt he deserved it.And those folks sure didn't have any plantations.

Let's not forget that when the war started for the Federals it was a matter of preserving the union,not abolishing slavery.Fact is, a whole lot of Yankee soldiers were very upset when they felt the war had changed to one of freeing the slaves after the Emancipation Proclamation.

As to other bits--
    Every state in the C.S.A. sent troops to the Federal forces.

I can't tell you estimated numbers for VA or anywhere else.Sorry.As I said before,Lee wasn't the only southern West Pointer who felt secession was wrong,but led troops against the blue anyway.You may note if you chose to learn about the war that many of the officers who stayed w/the Union understood why fellow officers/former classmates didn't.

"At the end of the day" this man (Lee) also did not choose to resign his commission during the unjust war where the US stole half of Mexico.You should read what he and others in the army had to say about how they felt about it.They didn't resign either.They followed orders. So most all the senior staff on both sides of the civil war were already guilty of sticking to their state/country during a conquest they recognized as an unjust land grab.

Bunch o' tribalists . Or career soldiers. You make the call.

Personally,and I'm not opining on monuments one way or the other,but I think Lee is probably the best individual symbol of the tragedy of the entire war. He's also the guy who wanted NO monuments to the CSA as he wanted the nation's wounds to heal,and was instrumental in getting many people to take the oath of allegiance to the federal govt after the war.

aikiMac likes this.
  20. Dead_pool

Science deniel in action.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.