Training with women

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Andrew2011, May 17, 2012.

1. Andrew2011

Andrew2011 Valued Member

One thing I've noticed fighting in classes with *some* people particularly women is that some will hit hard and be careless with their strikes so you get hit in the mouth. But when you hit hard back they can't take it. Normally I have to keep saying to the person what they're doing. Also women will punch you where if you punched them in the same place you'd be hitting their breasts. What are you supposed to do? Be a punchbag for them?

2. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

The same can be said for *some* men.This is mainly a problem with non contact and semi contact sparring.When contact is involved you are having to defend yourself and if a punch gets through its your fault and not your opponents.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

just hit them as hard as they can take, and if they exaggerate and try to hurt you, bring it up with the instructor (since they could hurt other classmates that way, therefore it needs to be solved). as for breast punching, just punch away.

4. righty

righty Valued Member

I talk to my training partners.

I find it works wonders.

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I've had bruising all over, including breasts and there's no punching in judo! The only time I've felt real pain/discomfort is during a pin with 90kg on my body plus an armlock, then I think WTF male partners but well it is what would happen in SD. In general guys are more accommodating and know pound for pound they will be stronger (and I'm no weakling) but I've also paired up with graded guys where all I've been is a punching bag, this is the kind of thing where I avoid people in class or start bearing grudges!

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol what?! :confused:
    You're 'fighting class' and now you're complaining because some girl punched you in the mouth?! They're 'careless with their strikes' because they hit you in the mouth?
    Could be me but if you're their to fight that pretty means it's a give you will get popped in the gob with shots from time to time. Did you sign up for tiddley winks or for fighting?
    Where is your guard and your distance and timing skills that you're getting popped in the mouth so easily. Methinks you need to sort out your guard and defense and up your game.... :rolleyes:

Dude.... what type of class are you in? Seriously?
    Your coach should have you paired up by relative experience and then by weight. What's the point of hitting hard in class? Not much methinks. You're not their to destroy your training partners... so you shouldn't be going 100% anyhow.

So wait... first getting punched in the mouth by a girl bothered you... now getting punched in the chest bothers you... but mostly because you feel you can't hit them back in the chest. Ugh.

What type of gym/style are you training. It doesn't sound like the premise of training has been very clearly explained to you at all. I can't fault you for that... the instructor should be setting the scene. But if you're in a 'fighting class' and then moaning about being hit by girls in the mouth and chest - then I think you need to reconsider which class your signing up for. :eek:

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Could be knockdown rules of course Slip, no punching to the head.

Mitch

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

^ from previous threads he was talking about Juijutsu

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

It's a real help in getting responses in threads if you actually learn how to post with enough information to get back responses that are pertinent to your situation.
    I still find it very hard to believe that anyone is going to a 'fighting class' and then gets flustered when they get punched in the mouth. :p

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'd disagree on this. If you're fighting full contact then, fine, every man/woman for themself. But most people train and spar somewhere on the light-to-moderate spectrum for most of the time.

Problems like these come when there's a mismatch in the expectation for contact or one person is nervous and starts "fighting for their life" because they feel out of their depth. In both cases, it can be solved by talking to the other person.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

OP: Where were you anticipating getting hit? The groin's off limits. The back is off limits. Depending on the school, below the belt generally is off limits. Basically, that leaves the front of the torso and the head. So anticipating getting hit in the chest and face is kind of your job.

I'll grant you that it's also their job to be okay with getting hit in the chest. But really "talk to your training partner" is the most sensible way forward, as already stated.

Also, I think "training with women" is a pretty incendiary title for this thread.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I have only done technique with one woman in BJJ, and when we were doing scissor sweeps she wasn't happy that I kept placing my knee across her chest/breasts, and that I should use the shin/knee in the lower half of the stomach for her. I couldn't do that variation, so I wasn't sure what to do, so I started doing flower sweeps instead.

EDIT: I've never had a problem in MT hitting women.

13. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Wait, so you mean that people who hit you carelessly by accident get offended when you hit them back on purpose? I am shocked. I am even more shocked that some of these people, like 52% of the world's population, are women!

Hit them somewhere else?

You know, for all that you say these women can't handle getting hit, you're the one whining about it on the internet.

14. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

(deleted, unnecessarily hostile)

EDIT: Oops, meant to delete the previous post, not start a new one. Now someone has thanked the post, so I guess I'll leave it. My apologies for the snarkiness.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  15. embra

embra Valued Member

Strikes that will hurt you:- 1) Best is get the hell out of the road of them 2) minimise their impact - male or female.

Striking/brushing female breasts in training:- take each case on its own merits. Some will get offended, others expect nothing less - they do not wish to be treated differently or condescendingly; and then somewhere in-between.

16. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Being punched in the chest - with me, punch away, lol. I do not care if my chest has boobs - we're there to do karate, and that means we punch each other in the chest at times. I got smacked in the gob too, but all that means is I didnt block well. :)

and yeah, I do not much like getting hit in the stomach, but that comes from my stomach issues that make my stomach bloated and painful. I try not to complain because i'm in karate and that comes with the territory. :)