Training opposite stance?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Southpaw535, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I've found a boxing place by my college and decided boxing is probably the best thing round here to get some striking in. Won't be trying it for a couple weeks since it conflicts with my no-gi class and I have a comp next week but I'm confused about which stance I'd be better off training in.
    Obviously I'm left handed and I feel more naturally comfortable in a southpaw stance but I've started using orthodox in training since I took up wrestling.

Training orthodox in boxing means it'll blend better with my grappling and I have plans to do mma in the not too distant future, but on the other hand southpaws seem to be annoying to fight which is a plus but mroe importantly I don't want to limit myself in the boxing classes by fighting right handed just for the sake of being able to shoot.

Other thing is I've been complemented both at thai boxing and at my college course for having a powerful right jab which I'm pretty pleased about and it seems a shame to waste that, but could that also be an arguement for making my right hand my power hand?

Think what I'm basically trying to ask is would training orthodox hinder my improvement if I'm a more natural lefty?

2. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i would train...southpaw....for alot of good reasons

1. everyone says boxing starts with the jab....and while true..it ends with the cross...go watch alot of fights...particularly at the low and middle levels(and this is where most of us live)......most kos are with crosses(dominate hand.....sometimes hooks...but even then its ussaually the cross right beforehand that got the guy in trouble.

the jabs sets up the cross...the goodbye punch....the cannon and you certainly would not want to go to WAR without your cannon.

2. being a lefty is a natural advantage...its an advantage cause everyday you see a bunch of rightys ...us normal guys and even other leftys rarely see a lefty.

3. its probably (at least to me) a lot easyer to learn to shoot the other way than learn to box the other way

4. if you cant do that....just box left... shoot right....i know its easy to say wow he switched stances now hes gonna shoot.....but unless you do it oviously...the other guy wont even notice......try with a buddy next time you spar.....have him seredipitously switch stances.....you will see its hard to pick out....ussally its after a few exchanges you notice something anint right..."oh he switched stances"

3. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

First, I second everything Mai Tai said.

Especially insightful I think was the point that it's probably easier to learn to shoot the other way than to learn to box the other way. I would agree.

Something to consider that may help you make the transition: for the most part, we tend to feel comfortable shooting with our dominant leg forward. Most people have a large discrepancy between the strength in their dominant and non-dominant leg, and bridging that gap will help to make shooting from the stance you're not used to feel more natural and strong.

So if you include lots of healthy unilateral training (lunges, step-ups, 1 leg dead lifts, split squats, etc.) and always remember to train your weak side first, you may find the transition into a new shooting stance a lot easier. Not to mention you'll be stronger and less injury prone with better balance and coordination too.

Obviously just practice and repeating the movement pattern is the most important thing, but if you don't get rid of the discrepancy between the strength in your legs one side will always feel way different and awkward compared to the other.

4. Southpaw535

Thanks guys. I've pulled out of my no-gi comp so probably start putting this into action this week

5. thauma

thauma Valued Member

why not train both left and right? seems a shame to use only half of your potential.

Most people are right sided, some people are left sided, few people are both - work your advantage

6. Southpaw535

Fish of doom pulled me up on that when I started the thread as well, I've got no problem working both sides and I probably will but I'd rather train one side at the gym where I can get some real advice and train the other at home so I can just try and improve while I'm there rather than spending time going over the same thing for the other side. I'd rather have one well coached side than be mediocre on both

7. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

I'm with Thauma on this. As a left hander you will give right handers fits, because your stance is not commonly seen, as the others have stated. But training on both sides will develop power and coordination on both sides of the body. You will gain the ability to knock out your opponent with either hand. I have taught the right handed stance for years as a teacher, and being left-handed, have seen this first hand. Also many times in a fight you will find yourself with wrong foot forward, like after you land a kick, or miss with one. Why not enable yourself to attack from that position quicker?

8. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

I think that's the key point here. You can't be great at both, at least not in nearly as much time as you can be great at one. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Much will depend on whether you have any other Southpaws in the club. If there are then you can train crooked. If you're with an orthadox fighter then it's usually a no-no unless he wants to. From what I've seen this sort of training never really hurts Southpaws and possibly gives them an even greater range.

10. Southpaw535

So if I'm the only lefty I might have to train orthodox?

11. Moi

In anything involving a partner. Trouble is you'll need to put time in on the bags orthodox as well to get used to it. Your natural (cheatin') southpaw advantage will come in to it's own later in the sport.

12. Southpaw535

Sounds kind of harsh though I mean surely its better for the other guys if they're training with a southpaw too?

13. Moi

You'll become important when someone is fighting a lefty. You just have to go with the majority when paired up. It's tge way Russ teaches and I'm assuming was taught (he's a southpaw too)
    Become someone of note and you'll get preferential treatment

14. Southpaw535

Fair enough

15. Moi

You'll naturally fight southpaw, this gives you another string. Once you're better at boxing you'll be able to make the switch. Chances are there'll be another southpaw, boxing seems to attract them like bees to honey

16. Southpaw535

:)
    I'm sticking to a white collar gym for a little while so they might be a bit more relaxed about it but I haven't got much of a problem fighting orthodox if I have to so it's no big deal.

17. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

At my gym southpaws can stay left forward no problem, no matter who they're training with. I guess it varies from gym to gym, most drills can be adapted without too much problem.

Although holding pads for a southy always makes my head hurt for the first minute, they have to throw alot of combos starting with a cross :)

And IMHO its better to pick a side and stick to it untill you get to a good standard. I see so many people not great in either stance who keep switching and getting hit.

18. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

heres the problem with that......to be mastered in boxing (i would call that the ability to fight anyone and win with ease WHO IS NOT ALSO A TRAINED boxer or muay tai fighter.......also mastered would mean to me the ability to walk into any boxing guy and be able to hold there own with everyone but the pros...manybe not win but ...not oh god get him out of there before someone gets hurt)

well to do that you have to learn from south paw you have to learn how to fight rightys from southpaw, and leftyes from south paw....it will take about 2hours a day four days a week for about 3 years......

now you want to be an mma guys...so addin mt for an 2hour a day for 3 years, and bjj 1hour a day three years........

now i have to learn how learn how to fight righty.....now its my righty verse there lefty.....my righty verse there lefty.....i

i have now doubled my training time....so unless you are 15 years old and dont intend on doing anything but fight for your adult life ......i would STRONGLY suggest just the one side

PLUS it would be much better to be supper good at one side that good at both sides

19. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

It's not like you're re-creating the wheel. Just get on that heavy bag in the orthodox stance and start throwing left jabs, right crosses and overhands, and left hooks. When sparring against the weaker fighters, switch to orthodox. In a matter of months, not years, you will have prepared yourself for the orthodox stance, and also made a much more powerful fighter out of yourself. This is how I learned to fight from both sides. It works.

20. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I didnt have time to read through the replies, but I think your choice comes down to a few things:

If you plan of competing in boxing, a lot of boxers tend to avoid fighting southpaws as their unorthodox style is really hard to get used to. This means that finding fights and progressing might be difficult. Im not sure if this is the case in MMA as well, but it makes sense.

On the other hand, being a southpaw gives you that much more of an advantage when it comes to fighting people who are orthodox for the exact reasons above.

Mike Tyson, one of the greatest boxers of all time, was a southpaw who converted to orthodox. His right (non dominant hand) was still a force to be reckoned with, but some of his best punches came from his left hooks. Coincidentally, left hooks are a boxers greatest weapon (in my opinion) which would give u a big advantage if u fought orthodox.

I would only recommend fighting orthodox if you have the power in your right hand to actually scare people.... Just my opinion.