Traditional Yang Style Taijiquan (YMAA)

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Tatsuma, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Tatsuma

Tatsuma New Member

What are your views on this branch, or YMAA, for that matter?

2. dashao

dashao New Member

as a ymaa student i enjoy the style a great deal but since i am merely a student i cant offer much in debt thought on it what i do know is that ymaa, tai chi has something going for it that not many tai chi classes i know of have (although i could be horribly wrong and if so sorry in advance) that thing is tai chi, chin na as opposed to the regular chin-na.but i havent tryed it yet i have only seen it done so far and it looks dreadfull nasty and i cant wait to try it out .

ok reading my post again sounds like a propaganda message but i cant really have another view since i like my school. hold on a sec thought of something negative the grades if you dont like grades that is you have to do so many for instructor that sort of thing maybe its not such a bad thing.

3. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

I am not a student of Yang Jwing Mings or any of his counterparts but I have quite a few of his books on Taijiquan and I think they are excellent works indeed. I have always had the imprssion that Dr Yang knows his stuff and if I had the opportunity to train with the man or Shou You Liang I would do it in a heartbeat.

How can you go wrong? ;)

4. imawimp

imawimp New Member

Ive been a student at Yangs for about 6 months - quite happy there.

5. Spudmore

Spudmore New Member

Hi Tatsuma

I did a three day seminar with Dr. Yang at a local club. I don't train YMAA but was impressed by the man & the club.

They seem to have a good organisation, people attended from UK, Eire & France who all seemed to be old friends. During breaks lots of people were playfully pushing hands etc. the general tone was informal yet focussed.

The man himself was well worth seeing - he dispalyed the attributes I am hoping to gain from doing this stuff, he positively shone.

Though I'm not much of a judge his theory and application seemed top notch.

Another benefit of the YMAA is there is no shortage of good literature specifically for their style. (Useful for all though - I have a couple of well thumbed editions)

As he also seems to visit regularly so I'd expect clubs under his banner will be of a good standard.

So thumbs up from me!!