TRADITIONAL KARATE -vs- FULL CONTACT KARATE

Discussion in 'Karate' started by mani, Jun 18, 2003.

?

WHAT IS MORE EFFECTIVE

1. TRADITIONAL KARATE

76 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. FULL CONTACT KARATE

81 vote(s)
    51.6%
  1. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

voted full-contact, cuz im more of a sporty/realistic guy

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Again, depends what is meant by full contact. If your training involves trying to kill your friends than, with respect, you're crazy. If I left every training session with cracked ribs and broken knuckles which took a month to heal I'd a) only be training for 2 hours every fifth week and b) would never have the time to actually learn any karate. So I'm voting "traditional" if that's the alternative. IMHO there is no pleasure to be had from receiving and/or administering a beating - this is just sadism/masochism.

3. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

I'm thinking of doing fullcontact when I'm older, but not at my age. See, I'm only 5'7, and someone reckons that a lot of MAists are short people because of always 'smashing their hands and feet.' I don't know if it's actually true but I'm not risking it.

That and no-one actually does a fullcontact art where I live so it's pretty much academic contemplating taking one up.

4. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

Why not both? Or is somebody seeking to restrict themselves to a "system?"

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

That's about average for a female isn't it?

6. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Full-Contact for me... I prefer realism and timing and endurance to "traditional" martial arts. I'm not saying TMA are not realistic, but full contact has been proven. I would much rather take a punch to the face knowing what it feels like, then take one not knowing.

7. mr_vodka

mr_vodka New Member

I feel that alot :) Since in our dojo, we don't use any safty gear in kumite. Well maybe only in the children's group :)

8. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Smart dojo. :p

9. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Its all pretty academic if you think about it - I mean - we've all trained with white belts at some stage - its always full contact with them innit? :)

I would personally go for the TMA approach for practice - semi contact for a little bit of realism. Lots of us have jobs to go to that insist on us being presentable - when I started training I was an Insurance Advisor in in High Street Shop - if I looked like I had two bales of stuff knocked outta me I wouldn't have got a lot of business now would I? :)

10. powerof0ne

powerof0ne Valued Member

I train in both...and more(like many).
    I started out in Hayashi ha ****o ryu(nidan) and ended up in Muay Thai which led m e to train in chokushinkai(full contact) and tjakai(hybrid of muay thai/kyokushin/judo/pencak silat). I have found tools that I can use from both...and when I got into full contact I didn't really have to modify much at all..I just basically used my ****o ryu and muay thai together.

11. mr_vodka

mr_vodka New Member

Hmm, OK. I think I missudnerstood you Nrv4evr :)

1. In case that was ment to be sarcastic
    I do find that to be smart for a couple of reasons. First of all, it teaches you how it feels to take a hit. Teaches you how to overcome it and also it toughens you. Another reason is that you won't be using and padding in tournaments so what use to train with pads and think that "Hey, that kick to the head doesn't hurt that much". Well of course there are more reasons I find it to be a good idea to spar without pads :)

2. In case you really mean so :)
    Yeah, it is :D

Osu!

12. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Yo, Melanie. I agree with you, you found the happy medium. Semicontact is a good way to go, a bit rough and painful but not so bad you walk out of the dojo half incapacitated.

13. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

I was being serious. (Sorry about the :p emoticon, it's a bad habit of mine.)

Yea, any dojo that teaches realistic conditioning, or at least some form of practical defense application, is a very good dojo, and should be commended.

14. mr_vodka

mr_vodka New Member

No worries :)

Like I said, I misudnerstood. Happens now and then since I'm not an native english speaker ;)
    I agree with you Nrv4evr that is really useful. :p

15. Odacon

Odacon New Member

If your sparring and the intent is not to knock your opponent to the ground then you are not paracticing traditional karate. As for the whole "but I have work tommorrow!" junk, I suppose every full contact Karateka/Boxer/Kickboxer is unemployed? At our Dojo we started out full contact to the body with leg kicks, then we added knees to the body and we're ordering face protecting headgear and moving onto completely full contact. When I ask other karateka why they arn't taking similar steps all I get is excuses.

16. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

So what job do you do?

17. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

I go to to both, Tang soo do and Kyokushin. At TSD i get to practice the techniques then at Kyokushin i get to use them, it works well for me.

18. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Totally agree with you there Mike.

19. zuiquan21

zuiquan21 Valued Member

traditional is what karate should be. even though it'll place emphasis on kata i think to learn the foundation of karate should be the start of the journey. after you learn the basics you should learn to incorporate it into fighting. though i do kyokushin i first learned kata sets from other styles and moved to full contact when i believed i had an understanding of the basics.

20. Axelton

Axelton Valued Member

Karate was developed by the Okinawans to use against the Japanese. Not the Japanese to beat up koreans/Chinese or whatever the hell you're trying to say.