Traditional JKD?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Martial One, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

What's happening to JKD? is it becoming a style? is it turning into what Bruce Lee was against? does JKD as bruce described it exist? what are your thoughts? ive come across a few schools and a few "jkd" people that seem very styleized (as in this style jkd that style jkd) and subjective. Ive even met a dude that claims he holds a high rank in jkd. i think it may be time to do what Mr. Lee requested and "wipe" the name jkd out. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and his work, so the "classical" part of me wants to hang on to JKD as a name, but the "JKD" me says i can let go.

2. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

good point. but cos that won't happen,up to people on a personal level to leave the boat behined

3. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Only the ones that a not personally trained by a OBLS, are turning it into a style......and if this works from them, more power to them.....but don't call it JKD or use BL name.....but if you want to learn Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do train with a First or Second generation student's to get as close to the source as you can.......By doing this the info doesn't get loss in transition from one to the other.

Peace-Out
    John :)

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

"Traditional JKD" - Oxymoron of the year!

5. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

What your beef?

John

6. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Yoda, with respect to your knowledge......What is your back ground in Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do and who are you under. Please respond.

John

7. JeetKunDo

JeetKunDo Valued Member

As far as I know their isnt an official rank system, at least their wasn't when I was taught JKD, you just progressed. It has been developed but I don't think its even excapted bu the martial arts federation as a martial art, merely because it doesnt have a grading system.
    When I was taught it was simple (the rules not the style)
    Students lead with their strongest side, i.e southpaw stance for right handed people
    Students were taught to throw punches vertically alligned on impact
    There was no formal grading system
    Students were encouraged to focus on developing a small number of simple moves (as opposed to learning complicated and attractive looking katas
    Students would rarely kick above waste height
    We were taught to make every single movement economical and direct, which, contrary to what you'd think, made the style less 'flashy'
    There was no formal uniform

This is JKD not a style, Its hard to reply to the question 'what styles do you know.' I just reply, Karate, Judo, and I 'practise' JKD, almost like its a faith. Even though I have the 'highest grade' or technique, their is always room to grow.
    Even when we practice styles we always look different. When I look a Karate or Judo bb or whatever bb's move, or fight they will always look different.
    'Unless human being has six arms and four legs, we will all have a different style of fighting.' Bruce Lee
    (I think its something like that, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)

8. tel

tho some people are.its a bit general to say everybody that has not trained under ojkd students is making it a style.
    i agree when u say people should not use jkd or BL name when not doing jkd,have seen video of what is supposed to be jkd and is not or only covers a bit.
    but when comes to reading and watching what BL said then it seems that he wanted people to move on from where he was

9. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Tel.....Exactly...That why all of the first generation student's of BL are saying "Dissovle The Principles" ......but you must learn them first and then abide by them...

Take It Easy,
    John

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I'm not "Under" anyone - strange concept for a free thinking martial artist.

My principle instructor in "things JKD" has been Sifu Marc McFann - a Full Instructor under Guro Dan Inosanto. I have been training in "things JKD" since 1983 (6 years MA experience at that point) and have been a student of Sifu McFann since about 1994 - gaining my first step on his instructorship ladder in 1998. I am currently at Associate Instructor level under Sifu McFann.

However, as I have a mind of my own, please do not fall into the trap of judging my viewpoint based on my lineage.

11. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Just what I was going to post! Classic.

12. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

What did they do to the JKD onguard position? make it resemble some animal? The bobcat? What's the first sanctioned fighting set in JKD? I've gotta get my hands on this ;) Am I going to have to get a chinese tunic and a sash? Kung Fu shoes? Next thing I know, they're taking out the heavy bags, focus gloves - that's right, air striking on the big scale is making a big comeback. the jun fan salutation (only one time I had to do that) instead of being an exception, is now the rule. I can see it now

13. tel

yeah agree like dan inosanto said u need a structure do disolve. or like chris kent said, u can't give freedom to someone who has nothing to breakway from.
    its an personal thing

14. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

if you have nothing to break away from why imprison yourself only to break away? this is redundant and stupid.

15. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

But eminently practical. And an inevitable aspect of mastery. The fact is, across countless disciplines, in order to break the rules, the master must first completely internalize them.

Musashi, Lee, Oyama, Gracie, and others were all classically trained fighters before they moved beyond the rule set.

Parker, Davis and others could all play classical jazz and did for a while before they redefined it.

Piccasso, Dali and others painted in traditional styles before they entered their modern phase.

Einstien, Dyson, and others had the fundimentals of physics down pat.

Joyce, Wilde, and others spent years emulating others styles before developing their own.

Notice a pattern developing? Trying to skip the step of understanding the rules inevitable leads to failure.

- Matt

16. faster than you

"you need to know the rules before you can break them."
    yes i have heard that before. however, if i want to learn a martial art that is effective i simply must learn that martial art and not learn another art before hand. this is what i meant in my previous post, but did not write.

17. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Ahh, but the thing is that any martial art is at the end of the day a structured method of learning rules so you can eventually break them. Thus any system is at it's heart artificial. Its up to a practioner to make it his (or her) own.

- Matt

18. faster than you

exactly.

a good artsit copies. a great artist steals--to make his own.

19. tel

simply cos u need to learn things,so like learning anyrhing new,you need a structure to start from.once u understand that structure and know the strength's and weakness then u can disolve it

20. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

Frankly when someone says JKD is "this" or JKD is "that" in terms of physical structure i dont buy it :D and thats pretty much why i started this thread, when someone says "let me show you a jeet kune do move" sure ill learn the move, but i dont think i would put it in the jkd moves category in the encyclopedia :bang: