Tournament Combos

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by DJHalliB, Nov 24, 2003.

1. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

What are all your favourite tournament combos that you use?

Personally, I like the baldeung-dweedtjaki-baldeung, the neryo-baldeung to head, and dweed-baleung to head. :)

Baldeung dolotjagi = the most commonly used wtf-tourney kick
    dweedtjaki = turn your back on opponent and kick ;)
    neryo = I think this has been called an "axe kick" not sure though. Straight leg up force down anyway.

I'm not sure how compatible the "korean spelling" is with everyone elses :)

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

it depends on the situation of course. i myself love neryo chagi and use it whenever i can. when it lands on my opponent's head it's definitely a KO. it's a very efficient kick. it's also efficient when it lands on the face, if the opponent moves a bit. there have been broken noses as well.

what can be effectively used at competitions? well, what u said, mainly, u just have to combine the kicks. don't tend to use only one kick. try to make a nice combination of let's say two kicks combining them with other elements like moving backwards and then kicking, moving to the side and kicking....never be passive!

- two dolyo chagi, 2 low ones, or 1st low, 2nd high
    - dolyo chagi, dwit chagi
    - dwit chagi followed by a dolyo, or dwit chagi followed by a sewo chagi
    - when i am in the corner, i find my way out with a dwit chagi, or dwit chagi with a jump, or panda
    - goro chagi can also be used efficiently, and while leg is in the air, just add a dolyo. but u have to choose the moment when to do it, u have to be very skilled at it. don't use it if u r insecure. i have used it efficiently two times at competitions. the opponent usually doesn't expect dolyo after goro chagi. u might even miss the opponent's head when u do goro chagi, but that's no reason to stop, just continue with dolyo. it comes like a bolt from the blue.
    - and tricks, don't forget the tricks, e.g. u can fake a low dolyo chagi, the opponent protects his body, his/her head is open and u do a high dolyo chagi, or u can fake it by raising one leg, make him/her think u r going to kick with ur let's say right leg. the opponent moves to ur left, and u kick him/her with ur left leg, dolyo chagi, using the right leg to do a jump.

there are different combinations which u can use according to the situation. but remember one thing, don't experiment at competitions because u might just pay the price.

when u do two kicks they have to be done one after the other with the shortest break between them possible. also if u don't score with the first one, go ahead with the second kick. and u can search for ur opponent's mistakes. if there is a second or two or three between ur opponent's kicks, use that to score.

i could go on and on and on....but this should do for now i guess :) :) :) :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2003
  3. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

Actually, it's not the Korean spelling, but the romanisation of Korean....I know, being pedantic, sorry mate.

As for this board, sure wish it would support Korean font (and wish others could type it), but alas....

As for tourney....3 kicks (and their variants)

Roundhouse
    Back
    Axe

Cheers,.

Dae-han

4. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Since the romanized korean is becomeing rediculous for me to type, lol, I will do it in english.

Spinning backfist followed with a back hook kick in teh same spin.

and back spinning hammer kick (neyro chagi)

5. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

When I said "korean spelling" I mean the way I spelled korean, not the way korean is meant to be spelled. I know they don't use the roman letters, since I don't live in a cave ;)

6. Helm

Helm New Member

I like the double-roundhouse, if it connects and they are still moving backwards, i can rarely resist the 360 roundhouse :D But if it misses, as soon as i land im preparing to throw a jump-backkick or bent-axe kick off the front leg.

I also love when my opponent rushes in, just skipping forwards into them with my front leg bent and stopping them with my knee (knocking them slightly off balance) then as they stumble back either a simple roundhouse or jumping axe kick.

7. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

Ahhh, that's neryo chagi? Never heard it called that, either way. I think the English name is 'back hook kick?' If so, we call it 뒤돌려차기 (dwi dollyo chagi ... I hate romanisation) in Korea. If not, well, 'nae-lyeo chagi'

Next point I'd like to make. I we like certain combos, but I really hope that we don't practice these in standard form. What I mean, is that although these steps are attractive AND if placed and timed well can score, we should have a good base first.

Yes, we all think we have a good base. I do everyday, then find out I am still far from what I could be.

I really do not know how you all train, but I hope that along with kicks and combo practice, Basic Steps (기본발놀림 - Gi bon ball lo lim) are learned. These are invaluable, and are the premise for sparring. In addition, we need to implement roundhouse kick with these steps (some 55 combos, with only this one kick, I counted tonight...and surely missed a few).

Along with these combos, back kick, back hook kick, push kick and axe kick will be your best friend (within and along with Basic Steps) in tournament fighting (Olympic Style).

Cheers,

Yang, Dae-han

8. tkd_rules

tkd_rules New Member

sparring

i went to my first tournament on the 30th of october and i didnt do to badly placing second in sparring but the people that saw my final said i could have won if i had some more combos and better techniques knowing that u guys are probably good at sparring i was wondering to get some tips on combos or techniques i could use in the next tournament .......thanks...... :bang:

9. tulsatkd

tulsatkd Valued Member

What works for me is hi/low. Any combo is fine as long as your able to get their hands up. ex. backfist to the head followed my a side kick to the abdomen. Naturally, most people's hands will go up to block the backfist which would leave part of the abdomen open. You can also go low/high. ex. double roudhouse.

Even if your opponent moves out of the way or there or no openings, always follow up and eventually you will get a hit in.

10. G50

G50 Night Owl

You could always force them to keep stepping back by charging with roundhouse kicks, double roundhouse kicks, tornado kicks, and even side kicks, just keep combining them in different ways and the opponents won't know whats going on :D ;) :woo:

11. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

I see this tornado kick mentioned on a regular basis here could you describe it to me as ive never heard of it
    cheers

12. G50

G50 Night Owl

A tornado kick is where you turn 180 degrees and do a roundhouse kick while jumping. For beginners its not an easy thing to do. ;) To do a tornado kick, practice just turning and roundhouse kicking, after a while you can do the whole motion :D

13. TheMadhoose

hmmm turning 180 would mean deleviring a kick behind you.Ill asume its what we call a 360 turning kick

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

180 or 360?

How do you turn 180 (I was facing my opponent, I'm now facing away) and do a roundhouse? My poor little not-so-spinny ITFish brain is having problems :)

Mitch

15. G50

G50 Night Owl

You're right, you have to turn 360 degrees, my mistake. :D ;)

16. ZenPixelTKD

ZenPixelTKD not just a natural blonde

Different combinations are going to work for different people depending on their style, flexibilty etc.
    If you are a jumpy sort of person slide in with a side kick and then jumping back kick is a nice easy one to start with. You are trying to score with the back kick, the side kick is more set the person up. Or even jumping side kick, spin in the air and deliver the back kick before landing.

If you are very flexible, (This is my favourite combo) Slide in with side kick. Without dropping your foot, bring you leg back to your chest and whip out a front hook then either an axe or outer cresent kick. It doesn't look as cool as the 360 turning kick, but it gets you points.

These are just some examples, you are only really limited by your imagination.
    A good way of training for combinations, is to use a heavy bag, have somebody call out a random number from 1 to about 6. Whatever number they call out, thats how many attacks you do,
    eg, Person calls out 3, you might do turning kick, reverse turning kick, jumping punch.
    You quickly learn what combos feel good for you!

17. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Try doing 3 kicks combos. Normally those are effective combos. If the first or second kick doesn't score the third is likely to score.

360 turning kicks are really cool, even more 360 turning kicks to the head, you can KO your opponent with that kick.

18. oni_sensei

oni_sensei Valued Member

tkd_rules, which style of competition do you compete in, ITF or WTF (Olympic)?

19. tkd_rules

tkd_rules New Member

i train in authentic tkd (ITF)

20. TheMadhoose

Giving that the ITF is split into 3 different groups now which one is authentic?