tournament advice

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by kabba kick, Sep 24, 2004.

1. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

1) im being serious too, my cup its the most uncomfortable thing ever,it just covers my junk like a piece of ply wood,doesn't reallly have the correct shape,do anyof you know where i cna find a good one the kinda cups under the nuts?

2) will gatorade suffice for water?

3) how should i treat a headache while at the tournament?

4) is anyone else goingto the master cup in maryland?

5)is it better to eat a regular big lunch like i always do or just eat nutrigrain bars all day?

feel free to put your own questions in here too

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Guess what?

I posted a thread Competition/Tournament Tips ... that should offer you some good info.

As far as the cup thing... well, you'll have to find another member that can help you in "that area" :)

3. Lefty

Lefty Yummy!

Good tips! I've upped my H20 intake since reading that.

It's funny you should use the term 'member' for the other part. ;)

Maybe you could ask about cups at your local sporting goods store.

4. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Best piece of advice . . . . have fun!!!

5. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

still not sure if its ok to drink gatorade instead of water

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

7. XiaoXing

XiaoXing New Member

get water,salt makes you thirstier xP
    Remember to do warm ups before the match..strectches and jump around a lil for your muscles to be more flexible.
    And you always have to wear cups..its a must.Ive seen guys who wore them and still got hurt pretty badly..so be catious xP

8. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

well, if he is going to a competiton, he should know that himself, without us reminding him.

as far as the cup is concerned, he can't participate without one, or can he?! the cup is an obligatory part of the protection gear.

9. glenchuy

glenchuy has two left feet

the sugar and salt in gatorade pulls water away from the muscles. and the sugar can't really get to your muscles right away anyway, since digestion stops during a tough physical activity. stick to cold water. althought the super high potassium content does help you absorb the water from gatorade real quick.

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i think that the guys on the forum are more able to give you a piece of advice, but have you tried only one type of cup?

maybe you could check out a martial arts equipment website or a catalogue, because there are different kinds you know :)

for example:

budoland

adidas

BlackBeltShop

kwon

11. ninjas-r-us

ninjas-r-us I sit under your tea

1) im being serious too, my cup its the most uncomfortable thing ever,it just covers my junk like a piece of ply wood,doesn't reallly have the correct shape,do anyof you know where i cna find a good one the kinda cups under the nuts?im not touching this one i use the normal cup :p

2) will gatorade suffice for water? YES I SWEAR BY GATORAIDE!!! but you should drink lots of water for a few days before the event

3) how should i treat a headache while at the tournament? suffer

4) is anyone else goingto the master cup in maryland? nope

5)is it better to eat a regular big lunch like i always do or just eat nutrigrain bars all day? LOTS OF PASTA but for lunch IF you hungry get a few power bars

12. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

if you are going to a competiton then you have to adjust your nutrition, the purpose of which is to store 20%-40% more glycogen in your muscles than the usual amount, in order to increase their endurance. in the beginning train hard without limiting your carbohydrate intake, 7 days before the competiton the training intensity should decrease with an intake of 70%-80% more carbohydrates. one day before the competiton you have to rest and have a maximum intake of carbohydrates. this eating plan is sutitable for those who don't have to lose weight.

3-7 days before the competition you have to decrease the intake of meat, milk, but increase the intake of carbohydrates. you can achieve that by eating pasta, rice, muessli, bananas, potatoes, corn...meat and milk will give you unnecessary fat that slows down your metabolism, which has to be fast and ready to store glycogen in your muscles.

one day before the competition it is very important to rest and drink a lot of fluid (isotonic drinks or water), eat fruit (banana, raisins - additional glycogen), and eat only carbohydrates - pasta or rice without sauces. you should avoid oranges, kiwi, sour apples, cherries, grapefruit because the additonal acid will disturb the storage of carbohydrates.

on the day of competing, especially after you are done with the weight measuring, you should not have an intake of fat, proteins, spices because it will only disturb your digestion, and that will decrease your body's physical abilities. your digestion system is ''the busiest'' 90 minutes after eating carbohydrates, and 4-5 hours after eating proteins/fat. all this can be extended due to the emotional stress. taekwondo competitions last the entire day, that is why your food has to be rich in carbohydrates, easy to digest and small in size. you should avoid eating chocolate, sadnwiches, salami, cheese, eggs, dairy products, candies etc. if you really want to eat a sandwich then it should made of brown bread with chicken/turkey salami (=low fat) without additions like mayo. the last food intake should be at least 90 min before the fight (banana, orange, raisins...). Between the fights, it would be good to eat bananas and raisins, and every 20-30min you should drink a bit of something isotonic.

you shouldn't eat right after you finish all your fights because your digestion system will not be able to function properly. wait at least an hour. but be sure to drink. some experts even recommend this drink to get your body back on track: 2 liters of water, add 1 little spoon of salt or 30ml of honey or 180g of orange or lemon juice. your first meal after the competition should be rich in carbohydrates and easy to digest.

13. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

Best buy I ever made was a good BOXING style groin protector, looks a bit 'men in tights' around the area, but means that you can take a fairly substantial kick and not suffer too badly...problems with the old jock strap protector :

1...I've had the old version snapped by a hard kick. Cue swearing, rolling on ground and swallowing profusely.
    2...Those little cack straps on the back end have a tendency to snap during high kicks. like an elastic band across the 'nads....see results from 1, but add laughing from every corner.
    3...groin protector's remove the flop factor that is there with old fashioned groin gaurds. Imagine you're highest spinning back or hook kick. out flops meat and one veg. You land and attempt to keep fighting as you realise your jewel's are sitting on a knife edge.
    4...I have an albert, the extra cushioning stops my trousers sounding like a tinny bell quire while warming up.

So spend the money, look like you have a nappy on under your dobuk, fight hard..and when they kick you in the party area, put your hands on your hips and smile.