Tongbeiquan and Lung Ying

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Nykout, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Thank you for all the help and information. Just looked up the classes schedule of both Tongbei and Lung Ying, and it seems that the former one offers 2 classes per week, while the latter only 1, so I will probably end up training both. Also, can the term Longquan be used interchangebly with Lung Ying?

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

In theory, but it'd be unusual tbh.

3. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Both terms mean ''dragon'' something but they don't mean the same thing.
    Lung Ying is Dragon Shadow, Long Quan is Dragon Fist.
    Lung Ying is Hakka , Long Quan is Shaolin.

Long Quan

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YTvpXnH6qY[/ame]

Lung Ying

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QpdXNE2juc[/ame]

Two different unrelated systems. Don't confuse names with content as you won't be getting Long Quan at a Lung Ying school

Regards,

LFD

4. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Now that's interesting. When I mailed to the guys in Hemel Hempstead (Lung Ying school), and asked if that is what they are teaching
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Dragon_Kung_Fu
    , they said that pretty much yes. Wikipedia page also does not differentiate Longquan from Lung Ying, stating that the latter is the Dragon Form. I am a bit confused, to be honest, could you please explain this subject more specifically?

5. Late for dinner

Lung ying is a hakka style and is also known as Southern Dragon. I would guess (and it is only a guess since I have no experience with Long Quan) that this is a northern system and more directly related to the Shaolin Temple martial arts.

I have no idea what wiki says and I can't discuss things about a system I have no experience with. After viewing the 2 videos do you see any differences in the way the 2 arts are performed? Is there something specifically you are looking for? I know the guys in Hemel and they are doing Lung Ying and not Long Quan.

Hope that helps,

LFD

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Longquan is not said once in the Wikipedia article :confused:
    I think practitioners of Longzunquan might have issues with the Southern Dragon page being entirely about Lung Ying though.

7. Nykout

Nykout Valued Member

Kung Fu is convoluted, I will just focus on the fact that I am extremely lucky that there is a Lung Ying school near London in the first place.

8. Late for dinner

LOL there are at least 4 within spitting distance of London : 'D

Best of luck, I think you will find the style interesting although quite different than what you have done in the past.

Regards,

LFD

9. Loongying99

Loongying99 New Member

Hi, Im from the lung ying school if you have any questions feel free to message me