Today is a GREAT day!

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by Bigmikey, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Today I passed both my TKD and Hapkido tests. I am now an orange belt in both.

This sounds like a small feat and to many of you, no doubt it is. However it isnt. In order to achieve this new rank I have had to overcome an achilles tondon rupture and a mild heart attack. Today, as I took the pieces of the broken board into my hands and ran (albeit slowly, lol) to my place in line I felt like I'd just climbed everest.

There's an old addage "a puncher always has a chance" which means that as long as you keep slugging away there's always a chance you'll attain your goal. Today I believe that more than ever.

Today IS a great day.

Now since I'm a picky bastid the only thing that tarnished today was I didnt break my board with my first round house. I had to throw it twice to get it right. I DID nail my form though. I felt great about it. So now I get to sit back, crank on some icy/hot and elevate my bad foot, drink a cold beer and break my arm patting myself on the back. Monday I go back to pouring my heart out one drop of sweat at a time but today? Today I'm the man :)

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Perseverance and indomitable spirit eh Mikey? Congratulations :D Onwards and upwards!

Mitch

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Congrats!!! Well Done!!!

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

THIS

if you had broken it on your first try, you wouldn't have given it a second thought. as it is, you had to concentrate and consciously refine your technique so that it worked. now your roundhouse kick is better, something that normally could have taken you at least a couple of weeks. now apply that same mental process you used to correct your roundhouse kick and apply it to all of your training :cool:

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

As I have said many times before, don't talk your achievements down or I will come round and slap your legs.

Seriously well done.

Keep us posted on yourprogress.

6. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

Congratulations!

Whether it's ascending Everest, or attaining a belt in a system.

An achievement is an achievement!

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

NOW you deserve to be called BIG mikey.

congrats koyo

8. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Congrats mate, keep it up!

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Sweet!

10. Bigmikey

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I have no one in real life to share this stuff with so this place has a special kind of importance to me already.

I have so far to go but a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Today I took another. That black belt is a bit closer, as is true mastery of my art...

God I love this stuff!!

11. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Yay yay yay! :)

Go out and have a nice big drink! =]

Onwards and upwards. Thats what people said to me here when i passed my first shotokan test (and very first ma test ii ever had in my life for that matter) in feb and became a yellow belt.

god i love the sentence i just bolded. =]

Congrats and all good wishes!

12. danny4114

danny4114 Valued Member

I know we've never talked but well done :D

Sounds like a massive achievement for you and good luck for whatever comes next :D

13. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Great job! Congratulations! :cool:

14. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

HUGE congrats. It feels good doesn't it?

Is Hapkido vastly different in moves / forms / etc to be thoroughly confusing?

I go for my green belt (6th Gup) in TKD at the end of November.

15. Bigmikey

Actually, just this past wednesday I passed my test and am now a purple belt.

Hapkido as I'm learning it has some direct cross-over to TKD in that I still have to learn a front kick, side kick, axe kick... the punches are the same... but where TKD will eventually teach kicks like the 540, tornado kick, etc, the Hapkido I'm learning will teach simpler, more direct kicks and hand techniques. Also, the joint manipulation, throws and striking techniques are different. I have to say I've grown to prefer them to TKD and very well may DROP TKD all together soon.

16. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Well even HUGER congrats then :)

17. Ancientharp

Ancientharp klutzy thread assassin

Wow! You're flying along! Good for you.

18. AnnaV2011

AnnaV2011 Valued Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!: :star::happy:
    Seriously that deserves major props with all those heart conditions. I have sciatic nerve problems so I kinda know about the whole tendon thing and it aint no joke.
    The dedication and commitment that shows is awesome. I bet your instructor was way proud of that.

19. Bigmikey

Sciatica is NO JOKE! That can be crippling at its worst.

Now, are ya sure you dont want to try something really cool like Hapkido instead? Jus sayin.... :D

20. AnnaV2011

AnnaV2011 Valued Member

Hmm if I tried Hapkido would my Achilies Tendon burst too? Cause if I don't get that then no freakin way am I even looking into Hapkido. LOL ROFL:rolleyes:

No but on the serious side I am interested to learn anything that might be helpful or any trivia facts.
    I practiced Aikido for about a year and have heard they are in the same realm. I have to say I really liked the style of Aikido but the beuracracy was wayyyy too much.
    I tend to think one should be judged on how good they REALLY are and not how good they are at kissing the instructors ass or how much they pay in fees you know.
    But thats just me....I know crazy right...LOL:eek:

:evil: