To the tkd ladies! (pregnancy & training)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by gemtkd, Aug 14, 2006.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i don't have experience with such a thing, but i do hope everything turns out ok for you.

2. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

My mum trained when she was pregnant with me, she was quite big when she stopped, maybe 7 or 8 months? But by that time she was only doing light stuff and refing (sp?) etc. But you can probably carry on training as normal for a few months and then as the baby develops just take the sparring and really physical stuff a bit easier.

Oh, and congrats!! :D

3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i guess it does vary from case to case. if there is a reason why she should stop, then she should do so, because the safety of her and her baby is the most important thing.

4. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

it's not a low lying placenta, they have no idea what it was but it's gone now anyway!! Time to take a break and do nothing I think!!

5. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Lucky girl! Get that man of yours to rub your feet, feed you, bring you whatever you want/need! Start training him for when the child arrives... :eek:

***editted due to careless spelling ****

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

now that sounds like a very good idea! :D :D

7. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

I'm so sorry you've had this scare Gem! I'm glad to hear it's not placenta previa though. Some women have very sensitive cervixes that will bleed and cramp slightly (especially in the 2 and 3rd trimesters when the cervix becomes very vascular and swollen) in response to sex, heavy lifting or stress of any kind. I hope that's all it is for you (((hugs))).

I love narcsarge's suggestion; I've been really sick for the last week and have been applying just such wise advice :D !!

Keep us posted!

Kelly

8. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Well I have a few days off for christmas so going to be relaxed as humanly possible!! My mans been good so far, he makes dinner when I'm not up to it and runs me baths etc!! I huge at the moment, I'm 27 weeks and look about ready to drop so by the time I'm term I'll have to be rolled about!! lol Generally feeling ok though!! I think I might just have the most active beby EVER!!! She's better at Ma than I am lol :)

9. narcsarge

Just an idea Gem:

[​IMG]

10. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Grrr!! See trying to find petite maternity clothes is like trying to find a needle in a haystack!! Was there some law passed that you can only get up the duff if your over a certain height???? I have 1 pair of jeans that fit, and they ain't going to last me on there own!!!!

11. narcsarge

Sorry Gem, I am not a personal shopper so my knowledge of maternity clothes goes on so far:

[​IMG]

The Classic MooMoo! Though being that you are petite it might be like wrapping a Pumpkin in a sheet! :D

Hope everything else is going well!

12. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

Narcsarge...rotfl!!! That outfit just takes the cake...eek!

Gem, have you tried Old Navy.com? They offer petite, regular and long sizes. They're the only place I've found that sell maternity clothes that actually fit comfortably. They also have an awesome bargain section! If you sign up for and use their credit card you get free shipping and something like 10% off your first order. Any order over $50 and you get free shipping. Although shipping isn't bad since they have a $5 flat rate policy.

Anyway, just thought I'd suggest it :) .

Kelly

13. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Thanks, I've had a look and seems quite good!! Not ordered anything yet but I will in the next week or two.

Found out from the midiwfe that I have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome!! It's basically sore swollen tingly hands. Has anyone else had anything like this?

14. narcsarge

Carpel Tunnel is a "Repetative Use" injury. Typists, and who isn't these days, and anyone that does repetative things involving their hands are succeptible to getting it. Surgery is about 20% effective. My mother-in-law has had the surgery and she saw some relief. Remember to, the pregnancy can cause all sorts of minor things to flair up!

15. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

I have had carpal tunnel syndrome for about 3yrs now (it's related to my hypothyroidism...LOL, I also have tarsal and cubital tunnel syndromes :rolleyes: ).

It can occur during pregnancy because of the fluid volume increase. It puts pressure on the nerves in the wrist. It should resolve after pregnancy. Drinking nettle tea may reduce some of the fluid retention and ease the symptoms.

Did they prescribe the wrist braces or give you any exercises to do?

Kelly

16. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

nah, pretty much said it would get better after I have the baby and that's about it!! It's just a pain, but gets me out of one of the crappiest work tasks ever!!! lol

17. KellyOwens

KellyOwens Valued Member

LOL, glad to hear you're finding some perks to the carpal tunnel :D .

I've had some major sciatica issues this pg. As long as I keep standing/moving I'm okay but anything else causes a lot of pain. I'm hoping to get in to see the chiro soon. I've never had this much of a problem during pregnancy before (ironically it was usually after I delivered that it got bad...must throw something out of whack).

On an awesome note, I asked my instructor if I could "assist" in the beginner's class and help out in the advanced class since I'm there already (my son is in the advanced and my daughter is in the beginner's). He said that'd be fantastic. So tonight I was able to put my uniform on and go to class...I was so excited :love: !!

It went really well and I'm thrilled to be able to be a part of class in this way. Even though I had been there (in street clothes) I missed it so much! It's good to be back in uniform :D . AND I got to wear my blue belt for the first time. LOL, I had tested for it just before I had to stop.

I did look pretty funny though...my belly is huge :eek: .

This site has some great exercises for moms-to-be:

http://www.babyfit.com/

My hope is that if I'm consistant it'll help keep my body somewhat toned until I can get back into regular training again (which could be another 6 months or more).

Kelly

P.S. Less than a week until my third trimester!! Here's me (LOL, hope the bare-belly doesn't offend anyone :p ...it could be worse, at least the sepia helps hide my stretch marks :D ); sorry it's so huge...the pic I mean :rolleyes: :

[​IMG]

18. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

thats a brill pic!! Wish I had the guts to show off my bump!! I spend most of my time with a big hoodie on!! Not been at training for a while. going mad and so bored now!!

19. AmberLB

AmberLB New Member

I'm chiming in a bit late, haven't been to MAP in a long time! My lil one is 21 months. I trained until I hit about 18.5 weeks --- then pre-term labor developed, and I was on bedrest in & out of the hospital til she was born!

I really hated being on bedrest, and I missed class so much! I used to mentally run through my forms and one steps while I was laying down.

I went back to class 6 wks after. I had to have an emergency c-section (didn't want one!), and I have to say, that made it quite a bit harder, I went back to exercise much more easily after my two previous v. births.

One thing to think about after the baby comes --- if you are b.f.ing, you'll be quite sensitive on top for a while! When I went back to sparring drills, getting hit on the chest protector, especially if I was very "full" was no fun!

Hope all of you guys are feeling well!

20. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Welcome Back to MAP Amber :)

I see this thread turning into a "post-pregnancy training" thread pretty soon! ;)
    Hang in there girls!

Good mention re: b.f. and the sensitivity while training. Forgot about that! :D

That is one regret that I do have.... no pics of my bare belly (I can say that now :p ) ... would never have dreamed of doing so at the time. I've seen some beautiful professional photos taken over the years since I was pregnant ... much like these here http://www.linnealenkus.com/pregnancy7.html

You'll be thankful you took that pic Kelly and you will be able to show your little one when he/she was in that BIG belly :)