To all the skinny runts out there - how to really punch with power

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Gyaku, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Gyaku

Gyaku Valued Member

Completely true. However I guarentee you that if you walked into most of the martial arts clubs in the UK you will NOT see this type of training at all - there are few even half decent clubs out there. If you go to a decent club theres no need to read this!

Small guys tend to be naturally fast (I say tend - there are exceptions!) - so speed is very rarely an issue and is normally developed very easily - however power is still important and we smaller fighers tend to find this more difficult to develop therefore its logical to spend some quality time developing this aspect.

Of course this can work - but remember small guys tend to be 'hard gainers' - so its not necessarily the best course of action for everyone

Try early Tyson - not the best technique in the world - but he still hit like a tank - In fact if you look at most pros early in tehir career they tended to have very rough technique - can't think of one that didn't - even Dempsey's left took years to get polished

Cheers dude - the guy is my hero! ;)

Nice post - what weight bag do you recommend?

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

This is perhaps the worst article in the world.

The whole point of the Article section is that you actuall research the crap you are spouting and provide sources. The forums are for opinions, articles for facts.

"Boxers lack and technique". Probably the stupidest point anyone, anywhere has ever made. Boxers are the best punching technicians out there.

You didnt mention gym work at all for developing functional strength and size. Thats pretty much THE way to get harder punches.

This article sounds like you got home ****ed as a newt from the battle cruiser, hopped on the computer and thought you'd earn some credibility from the forum by posting an uber thread. Unfortunatly, your articles have to be good if you dont want to get flamed to all hell.

PWNED

3. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Quite so.

To add my two-penneth, try reading Real Punching by Geoff Thompson:
    www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1840240881/qid=1136388051/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_3_9/026-0346732-4514077

As well as the book, I believe there's also a DVD/video version. In addition to what others have said, I found that Peter Consterdine's double hip technique works excellently. Powerstrike: The Art of High Impact Punching and Kicking is Peter's book on the subject:
    www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1873475624/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_1/026-0346732-4514077

Having done a couple of Geoff and Peter's courses, I can testify that this stuff works brilliantly.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  4. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

Sorry to say this mate as you are already getting a lot of flack but, all of your replies are wrong or flawed. If I were you I would get some more reading done and do a whole lot more research as you have a way to go.

5. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i hadnt noticed it but it actually could have been brenty! classic

6. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Pwned, indeed.

:D

7. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

I'd agree with this afterall do you want to learn how to punch a punchbag?, box in a ring? or how to get home if it all goes pear shaped. :)

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Aside from the medicore advice, let us not forget that an "article" should probably not begin in a thread called "to all the skinny runts out there" and begin with the first paragraph being insulting, rude, and quite frankly full of hot air. Sissies? Momma's boys? Insulting people's ranks? Dude, you started off on the wrong punch and then made some really bad points. Especially your comments about boxers. :rolleyes:

9. BigDaddySmack

BigDaddySmack Valued Member

It's The Hips, The Hips And Nothing But The Hips! Rotate And Strike In As Linear A Manner As You Can. The Shortest Distance Between Two Points Is A Straight Line.

Also, Don't Forget The Kiap!

10. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

This thread should be deleted...

11. pinuptosafety

pinuptosafety New Member

I would want to go for anything around me I could also use as a weapon against my opponent. Although I have small, thin arms, I am very strong. I can lift a chair and slam it over someones head, and believe me, I'm mean enough to do it if attacked. I could knock someones unconscious with all sorts of stuff right here in my apartment. I could hurl my computer into an attackers face or one of his target zones, then when I weakened him, I could attack the rest of the target zones. wouldn't this work good? I'm an intermediate fighter, no black belt. I think of all sorts of things I could do.

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

*DING DING DING* Irrelevant alarm. What has that got to do with punching, learning how to punchharder, or flaming this crap article? :rolleyes:

13. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

he just wanted to let everyone know what a badass he is. be careful, he might just hit you with a chair if you **** him off :woo:

14. Sheyja

Sheyja Valued Member

Hahahahahaha!

Sorry mate, but personally I consider punching to one of the worst forms of attack. There are so many ways of doing someone else damage without having to smash a very useful part of your own body into theirs. But then I study IMA's, and a lot of people on here doubt the practical ability of chi, so for those people I spos the primal RAAAAGGHHH punch! is their most effective. Good luck with that.

15. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

This is one of the most silly/funny/usless/strange/random thread I have ever come across on here, well done :D

16. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

What a ridiculous post, thank god you havent ruined a GOOD thread with it!

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Add to that:
    And
    And you have what is officially the greatest thread in the history of the world EVER :D
    God, I love MAP

18. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

nice one Sev! that actually makes some entertaining and amusing reading! ;)

19. White Shadow

White Shadow New Member

I have seen plenty of people who were fast but had absolutely no power. SPEED DOES NOT EQUAL POWER

The best way to increase your punching power is through building your tendon strength. Punching power does not come from muscle size.

Resistance training will increase your ability to deliver your punches faster, more effectively with increased power and you will not tire as quickly or easily.

Punching the heavy bag or a makiwara board will build up your hands and arms against feeling the punch when you deliver it.

I train on a double thick 100# canvas heavy bag filled completely with beach sand. Doing this keeps my hands and arms in shape and helps to keep my tendons strengthened as well. I also use this bag for my kicks as well.

The best resistance training is done with a partner, but can be done alone as well.

20. philliphall

philliphall Valued Member

I would not fancy visiting pinuptosafety's apartment, not at all.