Tiger Muay Thai, Phuket

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Princess Haru, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

After watching one of the latest Ross Training videos I found myself on TMT's site, and just wondered if anyone here had been out there? I had this completely mad idea of going for a couple of weeks or so as a working out break. Prolly just easier going to a muay thai class here

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

im in south thailand over xmas!
    last time i was there i trained at ao nang stadium in krabi (ill be back at the same place) - smaller training group, awesome teacher and locals and better scenery. insanely cheap too

krabi is amazing.

3. Princess Haru

amusingly I was thinking of a xmas escape plan when this mad idea hatched, then thought even Thais must stop at xmas?

maybe TMT is popular with those who want the mix of MT, BJJ, MMA and somewhere convenient to stay, pretty much all inclusive bar getting to/from airports

4. Mangosteen

its popular cos it advertises a lot.
    i think its pretty expensive considering the quality of MT you can get anywhere in that region. all MT places offer accommodation. also check out phuket top team.
    but ao nang stadium is great for pure MT and has some of the best practionners in that region
    if your gonna go to thailand, take advantage, dont just go for the MT cos you'll regret not seeing the place

and Phuket is great at new year for parties but has a crappy beach and not really a chillaxing place like this (took these photos with a crappy camera and still looks amazing):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i kayaked during the day as Muay Thai was on morning and evening for a couple hours. i went across two bays and climbed my heart out

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  5. Princess Haru

i'm guessing that's here http://www.aonang-thaiboxing.com/

i'm not much of a beach person, though i've been in Thailand several times on my travels, last time was 8 years ago, before the new airport that replaced Don Muang. there are definately no cheap flights direct £2k!

6. Mangosteen

yup thats the one.
    yeah no cheap flights now.
    book for next year - maybe 600 return?
    i know to south america (brasil) is 600 return

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

is Tiger Muay Thai the one Phuket top team trains at ? iv herd its kind of meh as far as thai, solid instruction but don't expect much one on one attention, couldn't tell you much about the other arts except there Sambo coach is really good from what iv seen on youtube.

8. Mangosteen

i remember their video of the SAMBO coach rolling with Slip's mate Silvio (BJJ blackbelt that teaches in HK) impressive stuff

also no, tiger MT and phuket top team are rivals:
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/10/11/2482821/asian-mma-update-beef-between-roger-huerta-mike-swick-tiger-muay-thai

ive heard things about the lack of individual instruction they give people their too. my preference for small gyms is that they have more personal contact. you wont get to train with the top guy at big gyms with celebs. i got to at ao nang because it was summer/tourist off season, so the place was empty

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  9. Princess Haru

tbh some one-on-one wouldn't matter so much, so long as I wasn't doing completely the wrong thing as I've never done a MT class, I watched parts of some, guess if you get an awkward partner it might be less fun.

There are still flights to Phuket at end of Dec around £600, and possible to bus it to Krabi in 3-4 hours for?? if it's really better

10. Mangosteen

I took a shared taxi. Ask a hotel in Phuket. Was like 10 GBP