thoughts on this video (warning CHI)

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by airweaver, Apr 25, 2008.

1. fatb0y

fatb0y Valued Member

When one of these guys fights someone of skill that is not a stooge and can reproduce any of that stuff I will maybe think it is not all rubbish. Until then it is obviously a load of trot to please the gullible (mentioning no names) - why wouldn't they agree to do it with a skilled fighter, they would have nothing to lose as their skill level is so high. Unless of course they would get pwned, which is what we know would really happen.

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  2. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

I do think that there are skills that are not shown to the general public, a level of skill way beyond that of the MMA fighter.
    look at this guy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXsMSoXrNgo"]Mind Body & Kick Ass Moves - Death on a beach Kuroda - YouTube[/ame]

now without question he is genuine, but what he does is not necessarily relevant to modern life.....or then again maybe on some deeper level it is:)

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Master Kuroda is demonstrating a high level of sen. There are three sen timings in swordsmanship..

sen to see an attack coming side step and counter.

sen no sen to feel the attack coming and strike it aside as you attack

sen sen no sen to sense the "intention" to attack and strike in an instant pre-empting the attack.

Kuroda shihan is demonstrating an execellent ability to flow berween these timings. Nothing mystical.A mastery of timing, distancing, body alignment performed using ki ken tai ichi intention movement and technique as one in an instant.

Any advanced swordsman shall be researching this ability.

regards koyo
    below sen no sen I am "cutting through" an attack.

Attached Files:

4. unfetteredmind

unfetteredmind Valued Member

Trouble with this reasoning is that as soon as someone of skill fights someone like Huang and gets soundly beaten then he is considered not to be skilled because you already "know" that what Huang is doing is rubbish. Proof is not possible to someone taking that position.

5. unfetteredmind

Perhaps your own expectations could do with a bit of "dis"appointing. It makes perfect sense to me that people could do that kind of thing. But nothing makes sense until we understand it. Who says Huang's skill wasn't learnt the hard way. You think he didn't put a lot of effort and practice in? As for looking right well that all depends on your perspective. You have to have expectations of how something should look in order to say it doesn't look right. "Dis"appoint those expectations, experience the reality not the expectation.
    Didn't you just say this can't happen? "not just a touch and people drop" were your words. Now you are saying not only that it can happen but that you have done it! Is it so unreasonable to think that what you did flukily can actually be trained and become something you have conscious control over.
    As for this:
    The irony of this is that most here seem to think I have the perspective of the people watching you - that Huang is demonstrating some mystical Taiji power. The truth is that my perspective is mucn more like yours, I understand how this is all explicable by understanding basic physics.
    I am not saying that mystical power is required to do what Huang did for real. It is you that is saying that. Mirror, mirror.

Mirror, mirror.

6. koyo

I have been thrown by Saito shihan master of aikido and was uprouted and launched into the air. So I am not at all sceptical about the "amasing" ability of some masters. But I am adamant that there are no mystical conotations.

There are the legends of O Sensei Ueshiba of aikido being capable of "throwing three or four young attacker's without contact."

Kisshomaru Ueshiba went as far as to post articles in aiki journal refuting all these stories as nonsense.

Below an "amasing" throw but based on the mastery of basic principles..nothing more nothing less.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

7. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

No, that's not true.

8. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well, good luck with that. I hope you find what you are looking for.

9. koyo

What I cannot get past is the ridiculous over-reaction of the ukes.

I have seen it in some "aikido" demonstrations where uke does most of the work throwing himself about.

This saddens me. The ukes in that video look just the same.That backward bunny hop in particular.

regards koyo

10. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

one of the styles that interests me is probably the most mystical.............I-chuan , or as it is called in Japan Taikiken
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M66BHJa6Y9c"]Taikiken Ritsu Zen - YouTube[/ame]

then they fight these guys
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP65_CiHzz0&feature=related"]Kyokushinkai Karate - YouTube[/ame]

you can check the linked vids on u-tube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evtvPg3mzj8&feature=related"]Taikiken history - YouTube[/ame]

11. unfetteredmind

Care to elaborate on that?

12. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Kyokushin and Taikkiken are actually cousin arts. Kenchi Sawai was a student of Wang Xiang Zhai and a friend and technical advisor to Mas Oyama.

13. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I don't really think it needs any elaboration - do you, really? I've found what I was looking for - the source of my own ignorance. Whatever it is you're looking for - good luck with that.

14. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I probably don't even have to weigh in on this one.

15. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Smiley says it all.

Attached Files:

16. koyo

I don't think the smiley quite does it. BUT those who take a "spiritualy superior attitude" in martial arts should take on a MMA....That would do it.
    As a traditional martial artist and cross trainer I have nothing but respect for MMA.

My own guys enjoy a good sweat up with good friends in MMA.THose who do not care to crosstrain miss a lot.

regards koyo

17. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You bin poachin' Bullshido :cool:

In fairness that man has devoted about 50 years of his life into slicin' 'n' dicin' with a sword so my money's on him against any MMA guy.

Edit: Having watched the whole film again. I just wish when Chris had his fingers pulled he had farted, no comic timimg that guy.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  18. masterspohn

masterspohn Valued Member

I have seen many extraordinary things in the martial arts, but do not know, if I can buy into this 100%. It kinda reminds me of the "fall downs" my students do in our Demo Team.

19. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

The general rule with things like this is that if it was true, you'd already know it. There wouldn't be any question about it - no games, no incestuous proof, no proof only for those who've "learned" how to respond. We'd just all know. It would have been proven beyond doubt, time and time again.

Me, like anyone who is reasonably ok at push hands, can push a beginner around like a rag doll - as long as they agree to play by my rules - push hands. For example, I can push my eldest son around no problem, even though he's very strong. But he likes to add in slaps and punches, which I don't discourage, but they often hit me! As soon as he doesn't play my rules, I don't look as good.

If psychics really could locate missing children, we would already know it was true - it would have happened that many times.

This old guy, maybe he devoted his life to training, and now his students take loyalty falls for him. It happens. It's one thing to keep an open mind about the possibility of amazing people living quiet lives - that's a sign of your matured world view... but it's quite another to stretch your belief so far that you swallow a public demonstration of magic powers. The only key issue in that is why you want to believe it - and that's exactly what the hoax plays on, as with any good con. All good cons begin with the greed of the punter. So one has to ask oneself - "why am I greedy to believe that?" To me, if you can answer that, you've opened the door on to a better, wiser, harder, but ultimately more rewarding path - training for actual skill, not ego tickling fantasy.

20. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

this is a result of over complient training. There is zero resistence being put up at all. The partners are even actively 'going with it' in the majority rather than against. That effectively exagerates what you see. Combine this to the meeting of years of experience and training with young students.. If all you know or do is fully complient drills/ training this might convince or impress you.

The old boy looks to have some very fine skills and good strength to him for sure and boy you can tell he's enjoying himself. But this is as much a work from start to finish as his bout with the wrestler. At least there the wrestler fell for him in a more realistic manner.. But I guess that wasn't training. :)

Last edited: May 6, 2008