thoughts on this video (warning CHI)

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by airweaver, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

La La land. Somewhere in Europe I think;)

....no it's across the pond as well as the Netherlands, figures (maybe the video was shot above a coffee shop)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  2. Puzzled Dragon

Puzzled Dragon Valued Member

Me neither, and you can see it in this video too if you care to.

Firequan:

King Hung Chu of London? But you'd have to be a bit creative to meet him.

3. unfetteredmind

unfetteredmind Valued Member

Others of us haven't tried and succeeded. Do you really believe because you can't do something that you tried to that it is not possible?

4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

It's not that Huang couldn't catch the line and destroy one's balance-it's that he only did some of the things you see here on his students.Outsiders required more effort.You can look it up,as Casey would say.

Instructors can pull off a lot of things on their students due to familiarity and sometimes what's known as teacher awe.

Not to say it's deliberate on their part,but his students in these demos are just too easy.

Compare with films of Cheng in partner training w/his students in Taiwan and the US.Or films of Ma,Yueh-liang,T.T.Liang,Wu.Tu-nan and others when they had been practicing for 70 or more years.

unfettered-I have an understanding of how things are done.I also have some knowledge of the history of CMC's line and its practitioners.So drawing from both I think I can make a reasonable assessment.I feel the instructors from CMC's line whom I have heard/read opine likewise on this made reasonable assessments too.

You're not implying regarding how things are done that Huang was catching balance and generating power in some method radically different from his predecessors?

5. unfetteredmind

Those I know of don't live in the UK or Europe but visit to teach on occasion, but they are not of the same standard. Huang's level of skill is extremely rare. I will not post names here but his senior students are not hard to find.

6. unfetteredmind

You seem to know an awful lot about what Huang did and didn't do on students and others. Have you read a lot of books? As for the statement that his students aren't even trying, have you met any of them, asked them about this?

The trouble is these things are all relative. Rubbish students will make an average teacher look good but by the same token a truly great teacher will make even highly accomplished students look rubbish. Which is happening here and how do you tell? Most people here seem to assume the former but why?

I don't understand the point you are making. Of these I would rate Master Ma as being up there with Huang but how do I know? It's like a grade 4 pianist comparing the performances of the most accomplished pianists in the world. It might make him feel clever but his opinion isn't going to actually mean very much.
    These reasonable assessments would be the ones in line with yours I suppose? What experience do you have of Huang's method other than having heard/read what others think?

I think there were some key differences in Huang's approach which resulted in him doing some things a lot better than most. What I see when I compare videos of Huang and CMC is that Huang's Taiji seems considerably more refined than Cheng's. But like I say that is just the opinion of someone not qualified to comment on the subtleties of the art at that level. Like everyone I have opinions about these things but I'm starting to realise that most people have a lot more certainty about theirs than I do.

7. unfetteredmind

Hooray! Me neither.

8. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Anybody got an opinion on this clip:rolleyes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I&feature=related"]Kiai Master vs MMA - YouTube[/ame]

9. Moi

Bully mugging a charlatan pensioner :eek:

10. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  11. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

years ago I went to a seminar hosted by the local Uechi-Ryu group. The guy giving it was called Richard Mooney. He was doing the empty force stuff and pressure point strikes........I was there for the pressure point stuff , it had been advertised in the UK MA press and I was really interested. The first demonstrations were against someone who he had brought along himself..so no surprises when this guy would attack him..he'd wave his arms about and the guy would fall over......then he tried it against the Uechi guys....and nothing worked..he also tried out the knockout stuff.and frankly it wasn't the little taps that they imply it was, it was a good hard dig to the carotid synus...............but again nothing worked.............I actually wrote an article about this which appeared on another MA site...................Now having said all that............I am a Derren Brown inspired mystic myself and I have quite a few "Ki" tricks under my belt, and I am not entirely dismissive of a lot of this stuff..the mystical stuff is usually a combination of two or three seperate things happening at once to give an unexpected outcome.....for example if you get a guy off balance and scream "fall" at the top of your voice ....he will
    .......and you can then say that you can throw somebody with a shout.......but carrying this further.you can lead people to a position where their balance is breaking and then shout...and they may or may not fall.........................now I dont really think that this fits into real world violence stratagems................but you can dissuade an aweful lot of folks from doing violence by ripping a telephone directory in half in front of them and this to me is the same sort of "trick"

12. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Tell you what, I call it fraud and cheating the people. They can find me, if they want.

13. unfetteredmind

So why ask me where you should go to meet them then?

14. Flinty

Flinty aspiring nak muay

Hope you like the taste of pure dog s*** :D

15. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

16. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well, you never know - there might be some near my cave. If not, I don't like to travel too much.

You know, Unfettered, you seem ok - but free yourself from unreasonable expectations. It doesn't make any sense that people could do that kind of thing. Real skill is learned the hard way - through sheer practice and effort, and it looks right - not just a touch and people drop.

I had a spar once with a very aggressive young man, and he threw a punch which I just touched - just pushed it over to one side. It just so happened that he'd completely over balanced to throw the punch, so when I pushed it a bit further over, it was like the straw that broke the camel's back and he fell over.

People watching thought I'd done some kind of mad taiji internal force skill - especially as he kind of slammed the ground. In reality, it was a complete fluke of physics and lucky circumstances - but I never disillusioned anyone that it wasn't secret kung fu skill. Heh...

But afterwards, I thought - how many stories have I heard like that? One touch and a person fell over, and the grow and grow in the telling, and we appoint a massive expectation of what must have happened - which we hold on to because we don't want to be "dis" appointed.

If you really want to find the heart of it all, "disappoint" your expectations ruthlessly - don't wait - start now! Sure, you'll be disappointed, but you'll get over it, and have a real chance of achieving the real thing, once you realise how achievable it is.

17. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Good post Fire Quan.
    I have the same experience in aikido, if I get the timing,distancing and unbalancing just right against a powerful attack a "seamingly" effortless technique results. BUT it is principles not mysticism that work.

Fish of doom
    Good video. You can see the principles at work there.

regards koyo

18. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

Great post... I am so glad this was posted to show the outcome of what happens when wishful thinking meets reality... I have to say kudos to the old chap though for actually accepting the challenger (who was not "beating up a pensioner" but was engaged in a match with a chap who believed he could use the force). There are not many (and before this video I would have said none) who would do that...

Fish of Doom... nice vid... looks sooooo much better than the others, you can see its not the force young skywalker is using but some sound principles...

19. Moi

:D:D:D

20. unfetteredmind

Huang is also using principles not mysticism. Sure you can see the principles more easily in Fish's clip because the movement is less refined. It's just like a magician making his sleight of hand movements bigger and slower so you can see what is happening. What he is doing is simple and clear. But at full speed what is actually happening takes on the appearance of something impossible.