Thought of the Day

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Ero-Sennin, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You have . . . . three . . . . giant spiders . . . . . 0_0

You are never allowed anywhere near me. In fact, it's a good thing you'e on another continent because I would have made you move. That is so terrible. Once a giant crab looking spider made its web across the only driveway out of our place and I went to my brother and told him we could no longer leave the property. We used to call his girlfriend (ex girlfriend now) who lived down the road to come kill spiders that we would find. I'm not even joking. 0_0

I'm going to have to check out the photobucket thing sometime. I've been having issues trying to post both pictures and .gifs and I have no clue why. Maybe that'll solve it.

Red Pandas would be my spirit animal if unicorns already weren't. xD

2. Ero-Sennin

I do watch a few anime and a few series on my computer. I don't use netflix because I'm happy enough watching grainy videos streaming : P. What's nice is that I'll stop watching after a season is over, then a year or two later I'll feel like watching again and I'll have two seasons to catch up on xD.

Seriously though, when I go over people's places during get togethers and the TV is going and everyone is just sitting there watching it, it really bugs me out. Same thing at my parent's home. I always feel like I get put into a funk if I have to sit down and watch tv for an extended period of time. It's really terrible.

3. Ero-Sennin

Got to run into some ol' armadillos tonight on my walk. Love it when the moon is out, all kinds of creatures come about. I'm always amused at how fast things with stocky bodies and short legs can move. Armadillos are funny guys though. These two are completely wild, and there's nobody around feeding them or getting them used to people. It has always been my experience that they have this bubble around them, and they're fine with you unless you break that bubble and then they take off. Funny thing is that they don't keep taking off. It's like they just move enough so you're out of their bubble then they go on about their business : P.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCt0jL3kYjw"]Armadiller Speed - YouTube[/ame]

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I almost got kicked out of my dorm room for breeding tarantulas. Right now all I have is a big L. parahybana (she just molted!) but I'm thinking of adding a pokie.

5. Ero-Sennin

Something is seriously wrong with the both of you.

6. Rated Red

Rated Red ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporter

Fine. No Buffalo Fatale De Toilete for you then! :p

A unicorn??? You are sooo lucky! :love:

Photobucket is pretty decent, once in a while you get a, "Unfortunately Photobucket Has Stopped" and you are unable to use it, but it shortly sorts out/updates or whatever and is working smoothly again. My stock gallery is misbehaving so I've recently had to download a replacement; my (favorite) brother just came to visit and left last Monday, I had taken alot of pictures and I couldn't open them. Can't be having that malfunction because I love looking back on memories - especially the kind that includes my loved ones and places we've been and done together.

Lol, you're a big baby, but not the only one so shall we let this one slide for today??? Arachnids only bother me if they have more than 2 eyeballs, aren't covered in hair or if they are the ninja type you find roaming free in your home, lol. They're interesting creatures and very different from one another. I don't handle them very often as their abdomen is fragile and depending on their temperament they can easily get stressed out or aggressive. So basically when it's time to clean out their environment is the only time I will purposefully disturb them.

I hope I don't gross out or frighten you or others here, it's not my intention, but I thought I'd share a picture of each :)

This is an adult GR Chilean Rose, 6 inches in length, terrestrial, and has two sides to her personality: passive or aggressive. Today she is aggressive; all I did was open her enclosure and she went in defense mode (why you see her front legs up).

[​IMG]

This is an adult AA Pink Toe, 6 inches long (though typically this species should be 5 inches), arboreal, lightning quick, likes to jump and scare the bejezus out of you but is very docile. And look at the cute, little pink toes!

[​IMG]

This is an LP Brazilian Salmon Pink Birdeater, 8 and a half inches long and still has another inch and a half to grow yet - maybe two? There's nothing friendly or docile about him. Out of all the tarantulas I've owned in my lifetime my heart pounds and I shake every time I take him out of his habitat to clean his enclosure. He will strike first and ask questions later...alot like the Italian Mafia. Just 2 weeks ago I took him out to clean his enclose and took a few pictures of him. Unfortunately, these picture do him no justice.

If you look closely, you can see a bit of one fang poking out as he's climbing out of his dirty enclosure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Rated Red

Is it safe to watch this????????

8. Rated Red

You should!!! :)

Did you have to rehome them so you wouldn't get kicked out? What other species have you owned?

What a small world, I have a male LP! Is your LP full-grown now? If you have a picture of her would you share it?

9. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Double post.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  10. Bozza Bostik

I'd love a Mexican redknee, but I just couldn't have a pet that I kept in a cage or tank or whatever...seems a bit cruel.

Sing along if you know the words...make them up if you don't.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb2Awn_dYTs"]Born Free - Matt Monro ... - YouTube[/ame]

11. philosoraptor

Here's the most recent picture I took of her when she was molting.

[​IMG]

And here she was last molt:

[​IMG]

So you know she's gotten quite big.

I've taken care of a lot of different species. P. cancerides, P. regalis, P. murinus, P. cambridgei, B. boehmei, C. cyanopubescens, A. avicularia, A. geniculata, N. chromatus, N. coloratovillosus, H. lividum, H. gigas, uhh I dunno man, quite a few. :]

My favorites are the arboreal species, but I like the big SA giants like A. geniculata and L. parahybana. Nhandu are really nice also. The Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus are AWESOME but they can pretty much teleport and their venom is nothing to sneeze at. Heard stories of temporary paralysis in the bitten limb.

Totally understand being freaked out by an aggressive large T, just use a pepsi bottle with the lower half cut off and a pair of tongs.

12. Ero-Sennin

Ok.

Mods, can we lock this thread? This is no longer family friendly, and it's getting way out of hand.

:running::running::running::running::running::running::running:

13. Ero-Sennin

I recorded it lastnight on a walk. I'm not so lucky as to find a couple armadillers, start recording them, and all of a sudden have something attack them to catch it on film.

It's literally just a couple of armadillos moseying about until I get too close and they take off : P

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think MAP now stands for Many Arachnid Pictures.

15. Ero-Sennin

It's a hard choice between Buffalo Fatale De Toilete and spiders.

I was a scout sniper in the Marine Corps, which involves a lot of moving very slowly, not moving around at all, and being very close to nature. One of the things we did for training is called "stalking" where you dress up in those funny sniper suits (ghillie suits) and crawl to your target through the brush to shoot it without being seen. I can deal with almost anything if I HAVE to. I used to have spiders and other very large insects crawl over my hands or other parts of my body all the time during stalking. It was so terrible :cry:

Ninja spiders are one thing I'm not short of here at my house, although I sprayed the perimeter of the home with insecticide and having had a problem all summer. However, if you go out at night and shine a light on the home you'll see like 20 of them just chilling on the side of the house 0_0

I just can't imagine owning spiders as pets. :cry:

16. Ero-Sennin

:(

:cry:

:running::running::running:

:vanish:

17. Rated Red

Perhaps this would put your mind at ease?

T's usually pick a spot in their enclosure and leave 95% (roughly) of it unused. Most aren't roamers in need of a lot of space and territory to thrive, of course the size of the enclosure would differ from spiderling, juvenile to adult (and species, whether arboreal or terrestrial), but as an example, an adult 7 inch terrestrial T like a Mexican Red Knee would be perfectly happy in an enclosure of approximately 3 x's his or her leg span in length, 2 x's the leg span in width and height. They are not climbers, they are borrowers so they would require deeper substrate for borrowing. What is important is that you keep the temperature and humidity to suit the climate they originate from. If I remember correctly, Mexican Red Knees like to bask in the sun so I'd look into what is the best way to provide a small basking spot for them in their enclosure that doesn't disrupt their dark burrows.

18. Rated Red

That's an impressive list you have! The PM is next on my list, but the woman I purchase my T's from (Virginia Cheeseman) rarely has them in. If you are fond of the Avicularia species, get yourself an AV... JUST STUNNING and just as lovely to own like the AA.

She's a big, beautiful girl, too! I think Sir Teddy Pom Pom (name given by my youngest daughter, lol) would approve and if I lived closer we could mate them...as long as she doesn't kill him afterwards! :D

19. Bozza Bostik

I still wouldn't be comfortable with it. I like rats, had a few many years ago and love the little scabby vermin. But again, don't like the idea of keeping them in cages. I could let them out a lot (as I did), but I think one of the dogs would like to have a taste of them.

Me and my stupid ethics, stops me having all kinds of beasts.

Here we go again...no you weren't!! You have a beard and wear dodgy shorts, you're a barista in a vegan coffee shop and ride around on a fixed gear bike.

20. philosoraptor

Interestingly, B. smithi, the Mexican red knee, is entirely captive bred and quite expensive now. I wouldn't treat them differently than any other terrestrial tarantula, just put them in a tank with an upturned flower pot. They really are quite sedentary little ambush predators, so I don't think the cage thing is nearly as unethical as trapping Shamu in a tank. Most will move only slightly more often than a pet rock.