This systema video

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by greg1075, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Really only touches the surface. I would say the video goes for breadth rather than any depth.

Overall looked good. Locks and submissions aren't the goal for such work. Really it is about control and getting multiple bodies on the criminal, and doing so while avoiding bites and scratches, and preventing the criminal access to your duty belt/weapons.

I only saw one spot where a criminal could bite a vital area (the throat) or the fingers/thumb of the law enforcement officer, but I wasn't looking hard. Those would be warning points to me.

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

As for law enforcement clip, I like this one.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzjl4B9rWVQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzjl4B9rWVQ[/ame]

4. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Now this I like. I would hate to be on the receiving end.

I sometimes wonder if the test dummy is a willing participant.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  5. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Basicly what knee rider said. I see it more of a marketing thing. Show and tell.

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I like that video too. I would say good video of training, but not particularly for law enforcement.

Quite a few of the techniques demonstrated aren't necessarily very good for use against someone a lot bigger and stronger than the officer (unless you are making a movie :evil: )

Look at the techniques and ask yourself if they would work when tired with low blood sugar, as stamina is a major attribute for law enforcement on the front lines. Similar to military, long hours with little sleep and maybe not a chance to eat (so low sugar levels). You might get into an altercation, get out of it and then five minutes later get into a different one. Then take into account someone bigger and stronger that is motivated to get away.

So such things as verbal commands and exerting control using means in addition to just physical technique such as body language and positioning. What comes out of this is not the flashy stuff for law enforcement but subtle boring stuff that works, IMHO.

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I believe that clip shows the training for "Chinese military police" (similar to US swat team). I had trained Austin police academy before. IMO, most of the regular cops are not in good physical shape at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Videos of police training around here are more like documentaries consisting of footage with narration.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2rjpiAkk9M"]SLCPD Recruit Class 127 Fight for Your Life Training - YouTube[/ame]

9. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Stamina is different than being in condition, although they are related. Stamina is the ability to keep going even when fatigued.

I would say the majority of law enforcement and military I've trained with were not as skilled as I am. This isn't my observation, this is what I've been told by them. What the majority of the veterans had, however, was stamina and experience beyond mine.

I would take a police officer of five years on the streets over most martial artists of five years in a real world situation.

10. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Nothing secret. Many things are different from CIMA. Plenty of pressure testing, at least in our school.

I think the OP is very "democentric", though I understand some of that is of him being asked to demo for some Korean military unit. I'd like to see him in a more freeform setting too

11. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

It's good. I mean it looks good. Aikido looks good. It's practically useless. Unless of course whoever you are in combat with stands still for you.

12. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

Just curious:

Was Systema used in both world wars by some Russian soldiers?

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That's the hype they sell....it doesn't hold up to much scrutiny

Sambo is what you look at for Russian dudes

15. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

This is what you can do when you develop a core structure.

16. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

No this is what you can do when your partners fall over for you on command.

17. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

I think it is one of those things that if you don't see it, you don't know you don't know !. :bang:

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Much like many other delusions and chicanery.

19. Avenger

Avenger Banned Banned

No, kind of the opposite of that, the word "see" is not to be taken literally.

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I have some kool aid you should try, but first, here's a pamphlet.