THE "WALKING STICK" METHOD OF SELF-DEFENCE

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Stick, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Stick

Stick New Member

I've been using the method of stick fighting found in "The "Walking Stick" Method of Self Defense" for a while now, using it like a text book. It contains many of the basic movements of stick guards and cuts, faints and parrys etc. I suggest to anyone that wants to learn more SD with walking stick to pick this one up or print it off the net.

Online form.
    http://www.the-exiles.org/manual/lang/lang.htm
    In printed form.
    http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1086

Can anyone tell me what style of stick this manual is based on? It's English for sure, but I have little experiance with other styles of English stick.

(For the record, I disagree with the way in which the 'Indian Officer' teaches one to hold the cane above the eyes. I rather hold it like a bhata but with a saber grip.) :eek:

2. kenpfrenger

kenpfrenger sportin' a Broughton

Though it definitely looks like it would be English it is actually based on a French Style Craig from www.savateaustralia.com is the go to man for this style wich is based on Vigny's method I believe. Good stuff no matter where it came from originally.

3. Rob Lovett

Rob Lovett Valued Member

Wasn't Vigny one of Barton-Wright's students though? I seem to recall a connection, but being as that it is 6:30am and still not finished my first coffee I am unsure what is connected to what :)

Regards
    Rob

4. kenpfrenger

Vigny is the source for Barton-Wrights stick work according to the man himself
    :)
    http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_barton-wright_0200.htm
    At 6:30am things are always fuzzy....bad thing is, i am usually driving down the highway at that hour :eek:

5. Rob Lovett

Rob Lovett Valued Member

Well there you go then, I knew there was a connection, just got it the wrong way round.....

Talking about fuzzy, was it you that hit that deer a few years ago on your way back from WMAW? If so, was it morning? ;)

Regards
    Rob

6. kenpfrenger

You have a good memory Rob.....I did hit a deer on the way to the first WMAW in chicago. I was on my way there, it was about 6am. I still made it there on time to teach my class though...talk about dedication
    :)

7. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Stag night?

Hi Ken,

I have this vision of you arriving at the venue with a large stag tied down across the bonnet of your car....

Venison Burgers on that day's menu then? :)

Louie

8. CFT

CFT Valued Member

9. kenpfrenger

Holy Smoke! Thats one lucky deer! The one I hit did not fair so well.

I imagine venison would have been on the menu for us at the seminar but it was very dark out in the wee morning hours that I hit the deer and I swear it was airborne from the impact...who knows where it landed.....though I admit the idea of showing up at the seminar with the deer tied on top of my car did cross my mind:)