The split and formation of different martial arts factions or organizations.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Manila-X, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

One thing I noticed with many martial arts is once it's founder pass away, there have been split between various factions, organizations or whether which group is worthy to be it's heir.

This is common in which the founder has not named a successor or who will take over.

Such is an example within our group. After the death of Sosai Mas Oyama, there have been split between various Kyokushin organizations and this happened even when Oyama was still alive.

Anyway, I practice Kyokushin. Our dojo and group are under IKO-1 (Kyokushinkaikan) which is headed by Kancho Matsui.

[​IMG]

Another faction is under Kancho Royama which is IKO-2 or Kyokushinkan.

[​IMG]

Then there are minor factions within Kyokushin such as Shin-Kyokushin and so on.

2. Manila-X

Manila-X OSU!

Another example is Jeet Kune Do in which after Bruce Lee closed his school, there has been a split.

These are

The Original JKD Branch - Taky Kimura, James Yimm Lee, Jerry Poteet, and Ted Wong

JKD Concepts Branch - Dan Inosanto, Richard Bustillo, Larry Hartsell

After Lee, Dan Inosanto is the only one authorized to teach JKD and has achieved 3rd Rank.

But Ted Wong who was notably Lee's last student was able to achieve 2nd Rank. But in the later part, Lee got rid of rankings and Wong was never promoted to a higher rank. On the other hand, Inosanto certified Wong to teach JKD.

Before developing JKD, Lee's style was called Jun Fan Gung Fu and both Taky Kimura and James Yimm Lee were given authorization to teach Jun Fan but not JKD.

3. Phronetic

Phronetic Valued Member

Interesting how even in MA the political dimension of human existence can be found. By this I mean the (potential antagonist) relation between the collective identities which are constructed. However, what is your point in this topic? Should it become a list of actual split ups?