The Single Leg w/Shoulder Throw... in boxing

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by slipthejab, Oct 16, 2011.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah this is what I thought as well - on the clip in a certain angle you can see his expression go from 'wtf I'm being thrown' to 'GAH!!!' - and it coincides with the moment he landed on the elbow.

It's pretty much the exact same fall/injury you get when people are thrown backwards and try to reach back with arm extended to break the fall as opposed a proper break fall. Obviously this means Hopkins has been slack on his Judo. Dawson not so much. :D

But yeah man a bad decision by the refs here. This makes Dawson a chump in my book.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hopkins is never one to fake anything so I pretty much flagged it as legt from the get go.

Decision will be appealed and overturned in all likelihood and a rematch arranged which B-Hop will win easily

3. slipthejab

Yeah he's not known as that type of a fighter or person. .

Yeah let's hope so. Chad Dawson was already talking about he doesn't want a rematch because according to him and Winky Wright... he came to fought once and Bernard Hopkins didn't want any.

So silly given B-hops track record. Obviously BS from Dawson's camp. I wonder if there is a contractual obligation. As for the cards at that point of the foul it pretty much squares up with what we know about B-hop... he's never been a early rounds KO puncher... never been his style... so some of the reports coming are defo lopsided and don't seem to understand the history of the fighter.

edit: and it's no surprise that Wright is in the mix here talking trash because he got beat by Hopkins - and his big issue was a controversial headbutt... up to that fight Wright had been steamrolling the division. Then a 43 year old B-hop beat him.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Hopkins actually had quite a few early KOs back in the 1990s but now that he's older and doesn't have the youth that he did he has to play it more laid back and get the later round KOs. Hopkins was always more of a technician than a slugger. Though I'm not much of a Hopkins fan, this just makes boxing look really, really bad.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  5. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

Darn it.... I can not see it, it was pulled

6. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

B-hop shoulder

It was a lousy call. :mad: It should have been called a 'no contest'. The doctor's report supports B-hop's claim & the audio verified the fact that B-hop told the ref he would contnue with one arm. He never said he couldn't continue. The ref took it all on himself to award a TKO to Dawson :rolleyes:

Thanks,
    Tom

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

8. slipthejab

Niiiice! Will be interesting to see how the commission rules on it. As for a rematch... Hopkins will take some to time to rehab that shoulder.

9. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Yup, the WBC did the right thing. Now lets see what the commision does!

10. slipthejab

It's almost like trying to make bets on which medieval fiefdoms or petty kings will come on out on top in the dark ages. Christ almighty... the state of boxing today. :(

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

"Today" meaning the last 30+ years.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter