The Self Defence Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Simon, May 4, 2019.

1. Abrar

Abrar New Member

Entire (duplicate) post deleted.

Abrar, welcome to MAP, but please read our Terms of Service before posting again. You can find this by clicking on the Terms and Rules button on the lower right hand corner of every page.

Cross posting is not allowed. You already posted this elsewhere, and that is why it is deleted here.

Also, a mod already deleted your link on that other post. If you want to use MAP to advertise, then contact Mitch for our advertising rates. It is only fair if you use MAP, you help to keep it running.

Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2019
  2. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I knew this was going to happen.

Could that be because I’m psychic? :)

Shmook and axelb like this.
  3. Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson New Member

If you back away facing the adversary, you can still take a certain amount of control. In the clip, the man with the gun backs off and he still continues to argue with him. He had an opportunity to defuse. If you use the right dialogue ( something well practised ) you could back off without the gunman wanting to follow ( in this case, because he seemed to have no interest in stealing anything or doing real damage ). Sometimes if a person believes they have already won, they will leave the situation. So saying " fair enough, you've won. You've got me. I'm no threat etc.. " along those lines might neutralise the aggression. I have actually done that ( whilst bring prepared for a different outcome, I must say ) Two men were suggesting I was using their equipment ( a scaffold ) on a site and I simply said, "why would I do that?" This threw them completely and they became less aggressive. I'm not saying it always works, but if you engage the thinking part of the brain, it can halt the escalation into a primal state.

4. Andrew Johnson

Andrew Johnson New Member

If I get your idea correctly. This might well be in the correct ballpark. In this case, some sensible people help calm things down and it doesn't end in violence.
    I am taking the part of the teacher and would say that, even though I am escalating things to the point of an actual physical fight, that I have been insulted and provoked to such an extent, I could not control myself.

There are issues we can't see here, as in the gun video, but what we can see, is the student being very rude and disrespectful, to begin with, and this causes an explosive reaction from the teacher.

If I am the teacher, I am making a mistake to deal with it in this way, yes, but I might be able to argue that the provocation was very extreme.